Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Want to spend a few years in France

Want to spend a few years in France

Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:46 am
Just Joined

sebek358 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to spend a few years in France

Having spent a couple of nice short breaks in Paris last year, and having no ties, and a desire to properly learn a foreign language, after consideration I have decided that I would like to spend some time living in France.

My usual job is in It and I feel that my level of French would not be good enough to go straight into this kind of work; I will be going to French courses, and may begin my stay with a 2 week intensive French course, but even so I would not be fluent. (Currently I have finished the advanced course of Michel thomas French)

Can someone advise me where I may be able to look and what I may be able to expect with regard to jobs.

And also could someone give me advice on accommodation...and places I could look for it.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to spend a few years in France

Lots of IT work in Toulouse; Atos Origin very keen to employ at the mo

As regards french courses I went to Alliance Francais in Toulouse and found them very good

Accommodation again plentiful in toulouse; seloger.com a good start

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Natalieinparis is an unknown quantity at this point

From my limited experience, there seems to be lots of opportunities here for English speakers who work in IT... I was on a job board the other day "Link Removed" that caters to English speaking candidates looking for work in Paris and there were quite a few IT positions posted; at the Paris offices of Microsoft, Dell, Google, Facebook etc. I'm envious that you work in IT! For the field I work in I have no chance of finding work until I am fully fluent in French

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 14th 2011 at 7:37 pm. Reason: Link Removed
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Natalieinparis is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, for accommodation, landlords in Paris typically demand to see at least 3 months of (French) payslips before they will let a property out to you. Because it is notoriously difficult to rent if you are a newcomer, people sometimes stay in short-term furnished vacation type rentals for the first few months. Paris Attitude have some pretty nice apartments that are relatively inexpensive....
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:43 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Natalieinparis
Also, for accommodation, landlords in Paris typically demand to see at least 3 months of (French) payslips before they will let a property out to you. Because it is notoriously difficult to rent if you are a newcomer, people sometimes stay in short-term furnished vacation type rentals for the first few months. Paris Attitude have some pretty nice apartments that are relatively inexpensive....
It's because it's very hard for a landlord to kick out someone that doesn't pay, Pretty impossible in the winter even.