Ramonage!

Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ramonage!

Our ramoneur (chimney sweep) is just doing the necessary now for this winter.

For those of you with fireplaces - don't forget this important step - and to get your "certificat de ramonage" -
and keep a copy for your house insurance. Very important!

Right now is the time as they're not yet busy and a cold snap next month could occur...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramonage!

Originally Posted by Roger O

For those of you with fireplaces - don't forget this important step - and to get your "certificat de ramonage" -

Right now is the time as they're not yet busy and a cold snap next month could occur...
Good advice!
Our ramoneur is also a plumber and you have to make an appointment well ahead...
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much for that info. We've lived here 18 months and had our log burner installed last October. Had no idea it had to be swept each year. Did a bit of phoning around following your post and have just booked an appointment. Thanks again.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:23 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Drat, I forgot about that. When we bought the place I kept on at the agent about this, asking him if there was a certificat, if chimney had been swept etc. only to keep getting the reply "this is France, not the UK" so, as the woodburner had only been installed in December 2008 and only used twice, I assumed the chimney was ok. In the past I always swept my own, but of course one can't do that here and anyway I have used half the poles now with plastic bottles on top as mole deterrents and the other half for poking down the fosse to unblock it.

Another thing on the list but thanks Roger for the timely reminder - a true gent m8.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can do it yourself - and in the DIY shops like Castorama, Tridôme, Weldom, Bricomarché, Bricodepôt, etc., you can also buy a "bûche de ramonage" like this http://www.shopix.fr/buchederamonage,p150.html but not really advisable!!

With a professional chimney sweep (ramoneur) which costs something between 45-65 euros on average, you get an official certificate (insist on it when you make an appointment before the actual visit so you are sure to get an "accredited" ramoneur with a siret number!).

This is the only way to be sure you are really safe in case of a chimney fire and insurance claim because the ramoneur is responsible for having done a correct job!!
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Well, you can do it yourself - and in the DIY shops like Castorama, Tridôme, Weldom, Bricomarché, Bricodepôt, etc., you can also buy a "bûche de ramonage" like this http://www.shopix.fr/buchederamonage,p150.html but not really advisable!!

With a professional chimney sweep (ramoneur) which costs something between 45-65 euros on average, you get an official certificate (insist on it when you make an appointment before the actual visit so you are sure to get an "accredited" ramoneur with a siret number!).

This is the only way to be sure you are really safe in case of a chimney fire and insurance claim because the ramoneur is responsible for having done a correct job!!
What would we do without you?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:37 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Now, not long back I had the chance to ask our insurance agency a couple of questions. The reason I got in touch with them was on behalf of a friend in the village. He wanted to know whether stud wall partitions in a house had to be built from alu as per fire regs or something. She told me categorically not. As long as the construction was of a good standard, it could be built of wood. She then mentioned that many people believe it's a condition of their house insurance policy that they must have the chimney cleaned by a registered artisan to be properly covered. She assured me that it was an 'urban myth'.

I also know of one guy who had a house fire which started from the poele, and he was paid out no questions asked. He'd never had a rammoneur near the place.

Not starting an argument, just pointing out that folks should ask their own agences d'assurance of their stance on this, as they may differ, before spending money they could likely hold onto.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

chuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant future

Our ramoneur just comes in for coffee now as we don't have a chimney sorry just wanted to be a bit silly, yes this is a very important thing to do in France, there you go fixed
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:02 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Dammit! and here's me thinking Ramonage was some kind of annual religious festival.

or maybe it is
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll say Halal to that!