Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Pension tax allowance

Pension tax allowance

Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension tax allowance

Originally Posted by Griff1234
There is some useful stuff here, including a description of the difference between an early retiree and one of pensionable age:

http://www.french-property.com/guide...-welfare-levy/

Note that contrary to what someone suggested above, if you are not affiliated to the French health system, you do not pay CSG (as confirmed at my reference).

As others have suggested, you cannot be part of two health systems. A bit of research I did looking at part time work shows that if you work a minimum for 60 hours per week for 4 months, this gives access to the French system, with exactly the same cover (~70%) that you will get from an S1 form.
There must be typo in there somewhere?
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

You have to work 800 hours a year. What Griff1234's post didn't make clear that this doesn't get you into the system indefinitely, it is of course time limited.

I know a lovely early-retired couple who work their axxes off over the summer grape picking, apple picking, campsites, restos etc, and that keeps them in the system until next summer.

Re contibutions sociales, I believe that if you live in France you are liable for these on rental income/interest from the UK regardless of if you have an S1, no?

Last edited by EuroTrash; Jan 28th 2013 at 7:41 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

One quirk of the French system is that if you are covered by an S1 form for healthcare then you do not pay CSG (of about 7%) on your UK pension income. However, if you start an AE business and pay to be part of the French healthcare system you will be liable to pay CSG on all of your pension income. Something to factor into your calculations.

This is covered in the link provided by Griff1234 - but the implications are not always obvious.

Also, the minimum hours worked to get healthcare cover applies to employees not to autoentrepreneurs (at the moment)
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:08 am
PDN
Just Joined

PDN is an unknown quantity at this point

My brain is getting to the point of exploding. Are there any jobs in France other than Tax Advisor seems you'd never be unemployed.

Thanks to all for the info and pointers
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by PDN
My brain is getting to the point of exploding. Are there any jobs in France other than Tax Advisor seems you'd never be unemployed.

Thanks to all for the info and pointers
Welcome to the world of French bureaucracy

Have you looked into inheritance law and tax yet? You might want to wait a bit until your brain relaxes