Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Applying for French Citizenship!

Applying for French Citizenship!

Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for French Citizenship!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the rules are to get French Nationality?

I went to the Mairie in the village and they had no clue - they told me to go to the Prefecture in Avignon but the opening hours for nationality application are fabulously short so would love a heads up from anyone who's already done this before I find myself going back and forth!

For the background: I'm British born in Dubai, married in France in Oct 2008, resident here since Aug 2008 and I have a daughter who is dual citizen born in 2010. (Since my DD was not automatically british I have made it my mission to become French! LOL!)
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for French Citizenship!

I'm sure the Prefecture is the place you need. A month ago I visited mine, to request the necessary forms for the sale of a vehicle. Took me only a second as they were readily available on the self-service rack.
Strangely enough I did notice at the time a side room with a sign which indicated something like 'Regulation for foreigners' - afternoons only between the hrs of 14:00 and 16:00.
So I advise you to give them a call before your next visit in order to confirm opening times for Le Bureau des Étrangers. Or Google your Prefecture for opening hours.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 1:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beigey
Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the rules are to get French Nationality?
Perhaps start here: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/N111.xhtml
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JAJ - super helpful link!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I think you mean French citizenship, nationality is something else and not normally to be 'acquired'.

One fairly obvious pre-requisite is a pretty decent command of the language.

Your experience at the prefecture reminds me of a phone call to the Zimbabwean embassy !

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
A month ago I visited mine, to request the necessary forms for the sale of a vehicle.
Everything you could possibly need is available online and for a vehicle sale the only two documents you need are the Déclaration de cession and certificat de situation administrative (not always necessary)
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Your experience at the prefecture reminds me of a phone call to the Zimbabwean embassy !

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W7RkQQZV7D4

Brilliant! Thanks for that.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you!