Opale Coast

Old Aug 14th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

MsGiraffe will become famous soon enough
Default Opale Coast

Hi there,

Thinking of visiting Opale Coast next year (I think that's what it's called, the Pas de Calais coast) - may be February. Any recommendations on places to visit or to avoid? What shall we expect on weather? Also, recommendations on acccomodation would be great - we'll be travelling by public transport.
Thank you,

Ms Giraffe
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opale Coast

Originally Posted by MsGiraffe
Hi there,

Thinking of visiting Opale Coast next year (I think that's what it's called, the Pas de Calais coast) - may be February. Any recommendations on places to visit or to avoid? What shall we expect on weather? Also, recommendations on acccomodation would be great - we'll be travelling by public transport.
Thank you,

Ms Giraffe
You wont have nice weather in Febuary, if you can put it off until at least march/april it would be a lot better.

La Côte D'Opale has a lot more going for it than a lot of people think. Most Brits just pass through this area heading down south without even thinking about visiting it.

There are far too many things list, but Calais, Boulogne and Dunkerque are all good places to start. I would also reccomend going to Le Touquet, Hardelot and Montreil and Berck sur Mer too. A little further in land you'll like St Omer and if you go to Dunkerque then a trip to La Panne (De Panne) in Belguim would be worth it as its only a short drive to the border. La Panne is a really nice little town, so close to France yet so differnt in many ways. It too has a beach.
All of these places you can get to via train (Corail) if you're going on public transport. Lille isn't exactly the cote d'opale, but well worth the visit to being only 1/2 hour (I think) away on the train.

As for accomodation I would always recommend the Accor hotels eg Novotel/Ibis/Etap as you always know what your getting and there are plenty dotted around in the same area. Novotel being the most expensive (except if you're comming with kids as they then work out cheaper and better equiped than Ibis). Etap has very good, basic rooms with private bathrooms for about 35€/night (per room not per person) but will only cater for a maximum of three in one room.

I used to live up there for 6 years before my wife got transfered. And I quite like it a lot. I've lived in Strasbourg, Montpellier, Besançon and Calais before moving to Dijon and I found the people in Pas de Calais to be the most friendly.

Last edited by le plumber; Aug 15th 2009 at 1:27 pm.