Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Northern Soul anyone?

Northern Soul anyone?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Northern Soul anyone?

I'm only quoting my grandad jdr.

And if you believe that......lol
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

one question ?

Geno Washington and his band, were they part of the Northern Soul (NS) circuit of artists ?

This genre of music needs to be explored more fully documentary style !! I didn't really know about this type of music until I listened to artists influenced by northern soul such as Paul Weller really
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:12 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria_747
one question ?

Geno Washington and his band, were they part of the Northern Soul (NS) circuit of artists ?

This genre of music needs to be explored more fully documentary style !! I didn't really know about this type of music until I listened to artists influenced by northern soul such as Paul Weller really
Saw him live a few times, he was one of the few yanks that left the US and stayed in the UK, most would just come over for a few days then go.
He was classed as R an B in the sixties, sort of blues turning to rock music, totally different to the modern R an B and probably 10 years prior to Northern soul.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

As jdr says he was around before the northern scene exploded but he did "cover" a couple of classics such as Michael (The Lover) but in those days everybody did everybody else's stuff anyway.

Edwin Starr was another that settled here, because of the northern scene. A mate of mine was hitching home from a niter in Swindon where Edwin Starr had been appearing and a large American car pulled up on the slip road and picked him up. My mate was stunned it was Mr Starr who took a detour on his way back to his home in the Midlands to drop him in Northampton. A top bloke.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

I love these R & B guys.

I wish I had seen Geno Washington on his recent UK tour this year
I love his version of Que sera sera

p.s
happy new year everyone

C_B
Whats new year like in your French town ? (sorry diggressing a bit)
Hope they play northern soul tunes to bring in the new year

Cheers
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

They've got a 20's theme night going, trad jazz in one square, two oompah bands playing on one of the beaches and a big marquee ready for the party later. People are eating and drinking on all the beaches and the fireworks are ready to go.
Me? I'm just about to watch the new film Slum Dog Millionaire cause I'm boring lol.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 8:55 pm
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
They've got a 20's theme night going, trad jazz in one square, two oompah bands playing on one of the beaches and a big marquee ready for the party later. People are eating and drinking on all the beaches and the fireworks are ready to go.
Me? I'm just about to watch the new film Slum Dog Millionaire cause I'm boring lol.
What the hell, as long as you enjoy whatever you do. I'm sitting by the telly with chocolate coated ginger and some crap rose wine (and the OH). waiting for Jools!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Paul Garoghan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, my name is Paul Garoghan. I've been into the Northern Soul scene for over three decades. I've played my discs in Lyon, & most recently in Marseille back in May. I should be DJing back in Marseille in early September.
Always interested about anything soulful in France....
All The Best...Keep the Faith.....Paul.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul, pm me with your details and I'll pass them on to others.

We are planning a weekender in Perpignan for hopefully end of May bank holiday next year. Last one was so successful there is demand for another.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Brill .

Shame you are not down our way.