Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

non-public search in Carcassonne

non-public search in Carcassonne

Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default non-public search in Carcassonne

So we have gone ahead and made an offer on a house in Carcassone, the offer has been accepted and we are due to sign the compromis de vente on Wednesday. The notaire speaks English, but we are employing a registered translator as well. My wife being a former solicitor has been working away at understanding where the notaire's responsibilities begin and end. It appears that the notaire is responsible for searches for any public works that may affect the house, but not private applications of any sort. Does anyone know if there is a mechanism whereby we can do our own search of the immediate area to see if next door is applying to become a restaurant or hold raves?Would this be online or at the mairie? Could this be a clause suspensive if we don't have time to organise it before Wednesday?
We can ask the notaire and are waiting for her to call us back, probably not now until Monday, but I thought I would ask here to see if I can get started on anything since the signing is fast approaching.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 4:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: non-public search in Carcassonne

Originally Posted by Alianco
So we have gone ahead and made an offer on a house in Carcassone, the offer has been accepted and we are due to sign the compromis de vente on Wednesday. The notaire speaks English, but we are employing a registered translator as well. My wife being a former solicitor has been working away at understanding where the notaire's responsibilities begin and end. It appears that the notaire is responsible for searches for any public works that may affect the house, but not private applications of any sort. Does anyone know if there is a mechanism whereby we can do our own search of the immediate area to see if next door is applying to become a restaurant or hold raves?Would this be online or at the mairie? Could this be a clause suspensive if we don't have time to organise it before Wednesday?
We can ask the notaire and are waiting for her to call us back, probably not now until Monday, but I thought I would ask here to see if I can get started on anything since the signing is fast approaching.
No idea, in fact, but you could always ask at the Mairie whether any changes are expected in your street.
Do you know why the Vendors are selling? Not that they would tell you if they knew about a restaurant or other likely nuisance opening in the near future....
I would ask the Notaire to include a clause suspensive covering such a risk and you'd have time to make a more thorough search between the Compromis and final signature.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: non-public search in Carcassonne

Yes, we plan to add a clause suspensive just in case. The house is a former family home that the old lady lived in up to two years ago before going into a home. The two daughters started having some work done when she moved out, but didn't get too far and now they have decided to sell. Possibly because of the very high taxe fonciere in Carcassonne. We have an appointment with the notaire on Tuesday morning before the signing on Wednesday afternoon with the mother and daughters and with a translator present. Anything we are not entirely happy with on Tuesday can be added to the compris.