Reload this Page >

Newbie - Moving to Lyon

Newbie - Moving to Lyon

Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

flipper1903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie - Moving to Lyon

Hi guys,

I'm moving to Lyon at the end of the month to continue my career as a chef. Of course that's all very romantic and exciting, i fear my naivety could ultimately bite me on the bum as i'm not really sure how to go about all this.

My plan is to march into restaurants in Lyon (i've heard there's lots of them) with my French-translated CV and hope for the best. I have no real idea how the restaurant business operates over there and but that technique has usually served me well in Glasgow.

So, if anyone feels like helping, what i'm after is a wee bit of advice. For instance, if anyone knows of any other British chefs working in Lyon (my French is pretty weak at the moment), or things that would help my CV stand out.

Also, i will have no friends when i get to Lyon so if anyone knows of any clubs/associations I could join to meet people, that too would be awesome. I like eating, cooking, football, reading, writing....and eating.

Cheers,
Tom
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie - Moving to Lyon

Originally Posted by flipper1903
Hi guys,

I'm moving to Lyon at the end of the month to continue my career as a chef. Of course that's all very romantic and exciting, i fear my naivety could ultimately bite me on the bum as i'm not really sure how to go about all this.

My plan is to march into restaurants in Lyon (i've heard there's lots of them) with my French-translated CV and hope for the best. I have no real idea how the restaurant business operates over there and but that technique has usually served me well in Glasgow.

So, if anyone feels like helping, what i'm after is a wee bit of advice. For instance, if anyone knows of any other British chefs working in Lyon (my French is pretty weak at the moment), or things that would help my CV stand out.

Also, i will have no friends when i get to Lyon so if anyone knows of any clubs/associations I could join to meet people, that too would be awesome. I like eating, cooking, football, reading, writing....and eating.

Cheers,
Tom
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Sorry, I can't help you directly, but if your method of job-seeking doesn't work, then register at your nearest Pôle-Emploi. But be prepared to accept "lowly" restaurant work first, and get your French together ASAP.
You'll have competition from qualified French chefs who were trained in the business, esp. in Lyon which is the capital of gastronomy.
If you google "restaurants pubs Lyon" you'll find some British pubs with food - you could start with them, they might have a vacancy....
Your local Mairie will have a list of all the Clubs and Associations that you could join.
All the best, and if you need other info on flat-hunting, French Bureaucracy, etc... we're here to help.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 4:32 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flipper1903
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Tom
Welcome to the Forum
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

alby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Forum
After reading your intentions I feel your bum will get bit...good and hard.
Sorry to be negative but unemployment here in France is high and more so in the low salary area of restaurants.Lyon is certainly no Glasgow and no amount of charm or pigeon French will get you quick results.Be prepared and make sure your euro account is well stocked to keep you sustained during the ensuing lean times.Good Luck.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alby
make sure your euro account is well stocked to keep you sustained during the ensuing lean times.Good Luck.
In fact I forgot to mention that you should come over with enough money to survive for a year (at least) in case you're unlucky in your job-search - a single person can survive on about 1000 € per month (i.e. the basics, no treats), NOT COUNTING RENT.
And since you didn't ask about flat-hunting, I didn't mention that you'll need a Guarantor for renting an appartment if you can't produce payslips to prove that you can pay at least 3 times the rent. (Landlords aren't interested in what's in your bank account, they want proof of a regular income...).
Otherwise, IMHO, there's always a need for qualified chefs, e.g. in canteens if not in hotels or restaurants, but, as I said, you must be prepared to accept lowly work first, learn the business à la française, and then show you can compete with French chefs (who will always have priority if your French isn't up to scratch).
Good luck!
Old Nov 15th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi flipper
The best way for chefs is to use industry contacts.
Have you had previous employment with a uk chef who can give you a recommendation to a French chef?
Normally in the uk you would do a trial in the kitchen for a prospective employer but is your French up to asking for that?

Think that you might struggle but hope it works for you.