Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France - Job prospects for 2 young people?

Moving to France - Job prospects for 2 young people?

Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Silversun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France - Job prospects for 2 young people?

Hi there everyone

I and my partner are native Northern Irish people, and given the supremely brutal nature of the job market here, as well as the unfriendly climate and general misery of the troubles, are looking to migrate to France.

We are both relatively youthful, 28 and 23, and witty enough. But, sadly, it's not enough here - and neither of us can secure jobs that reflect our qualification level or general aptitude level. We have both been recently gainfully employed, although I was laid off from my own generic administrative job about two weeks ago. We finished a rented lease on an apartment around that same time, and are now eager to take stock and make the jump, if there's anything to jump to.

I'm a 28 year old man with a good quality English Degree, and she is an HND holder in Human Resources and Administration with a couple of years experience. Fairly generic qualifications I admit, although I have had a few original plays published in Ireland and have a generally creative, open minded attitude. We're capable of pulling our weight.

We're both happy and willing to learn French, indeed to become fluent - but my question to you all is - where and what can we do to move to France?

I've searched jobs online and all I've seen are part time babysitting jobs. Now, we'd be willing to do these if they were to allow us to explore further opportunities in France, so what say you guys in this regard?

We've pretty much got our hearts set, so any hard/realistic advice that you older chaps and chapettes can impart would be appreciated. Ideally, we'd like to live in the South of France or around Paris. (We have some experience in living in these areas, in a couple of couple of months long jaunts earlier in our lives.)

We are both capable, willing, hardworking individuals and we're looking for any legitimate opportunities outside our current Northern Irish sphere, so what say you, denizens of Britishexpats.com?

Any feedback, thoughts or considerations are deeply appreciated. Our hearts are set on this move, but we need to explore our options and develop an educated, realistic assessment of our options before we do anything.

We're open to all kinds of work. Anyway, thanks for reading - any direction is appreciated.

Yours,

Nick and Debbie.

Last edited by Silversun; Nov 12th 2011 at 4:15 am.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 6:09 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to France - Job prospects for 2 young people?

Welcome to the Forum, Regrettably unemployment is also very high in France and the employment market very competitive. It is harder for younger people, To be honest as you are not coming in to a good corporate job or medicine at a reasonable level the odds of you gaining employment in your skill area are slim. Lots of people do move here and most of them end up in employment very different than that of their qualification level or general aptitude level in the UK. Shifting countries wont change the current climate it will just make understanding folk around you harder.

Sorry to sound so but it is the way things are here these days, Its also become a lot more costly to live here. I would recommend that anyone moving here without employment had at least a 2 year buffer behind them as without working here first you will not receive French Unemployment benefit.

Once again welcome to the Forum

Originally Posted by Silversun
Hi there everyone

I and my partner are native Northern Irish people, and given the supremely brutal nature of the job market here, as well as the unfriendly climate and general misery of the troubles, are looking to migrate to France.

We are both relatively youthful, 28 and 23, and witty enough. But, sadly, it's not enough here - and neither of us can secure jobs that reflect our qualification level or general aptitude level. We have both been recently gainfully employed, although I was laid off from my own generic administrative job about two weeks ago. We finished a rented lease on an apartment around that same time, and are now eager to take stock and make the jump, if there's anything to jump to.

I'm a 28 year old man with a good quality English Degree, and she is an HND holder in Human Resources and Administration with a couple of years experience. Fairly generic qualifications I admit, although I have had a few original plays published in Ireland and have a generally creative, open minded attitude. We're capable of pulling our weight.

We're both happy and willing to learn French, indeed to become fluent - but my question to you all is - where and what can we do to move to France?

I've searched jobs online and all I've seen are part time babysitting jobs. Now, we'd be willing to do these if they were to allow us to explore further opportunities in France, so what say you guys in this regard?

We've pretty much got our hearts set, so any hard/realistic advice that you older chaps and chapettes can impart would be appreciated. Ideally, we'd like to live in the South of France or around Paris. (We have some experience in living in these areas, in a couple of couple of months long jaunts earlier in our lives.)

We are both capable, willing, hardworking individuals and we're looking for any legitimate opportunities outside our current Northern Irish sphere, so what say you, denizens of Britishexpats.com?

Any feedback, thoughts or considerations are deeply appreciated. Our hearts are set on this move, but we need to explore our options and develop an educated, realistic assessment of our options before we do anything.

We're open to all kinds of work. Anyway, thanks for reading - any direction is appreciated.

Yours,

Nick and Debbie.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 7:04 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Sorry, but I have to agree with Ka Ora!. The unemployment rate is much higher in France (about 20% in the Languedoc for example). Priority would be given to English-speaking French candidates for any jobs going in your partner's line of work ...
Even if you have a couple of years' savings to tide you over, you'll have problems right at the beginning for renting an appartment, as you have to produce payslips to prove that you earn at least three times the rent (your money in the bank doesn't count, you must prove income). Students and low-income tenants must have Guarantors (usually the parents as it's such a responsibility) who will pay the rent if they can't....
You'd need an average of about 1200 € per month for a couple to survive (the basics, no treats), without counting rent or a mortgage...
With an English Degree, you could look for jobs teaching/coaching English (but not in a French State school), but IMHO you need to master French Grammar in order to explain the differences. Like baby-sitting, it wouldn't be regular and apparently isn't well paid...
Sorry to be such a Cassandra, but I'm realistic. Have you considered the Netherlands or a Scandinavian country, where they all speak English and where the unemployment rate might be lower than in southern Europe?
I wish you all the best, but advise you to reconsider your idea of coming to France.

Last edited by dmu; Nov 12th 2011 at 7:19 am.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to be another jonah but i too agree. It took my hubby over 5 years t find paid work here in France and he is in aeronautics and we live in Toulouse in the heart of aeronautics. As for myself I teach TEFL; 25 hours is the max per week usually and it fluctuates; I usually do much less in Jan Feb; I earn just above the basic rate of pay of around 10 euros an hour.

We love it here and indeed the weather is much better than N Ireland; I have relatives there and it is beautiful but wet

But please think hard about your decision, without the help of my very understanding and generous father we would have lost everything here
Old Nov 13th 2011, 8:11 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

I would also say you are looking at a very difficult uphill battle. Especially in the south of France or Paris where the cost of living is the highest in the country.

15 years ago it was possible for the handy people to come down here and help repair/restore/build properties but today many are finished and since money has dried up, second home buyers are almost gone and those who remain aren't renovating.

As mentioned, without doing extra learning for a year, teaching in a state school is not possible. In addition if you can't speak French, you are pretty well scuppered in looking for work. The French can be quite protectionist in their choice of employees, partly because the jobs are so well protected that to sack someone is costly and long drawn.The French prefer their relatives to work with them.

One area that might be possible is farming but you would need money to buy a farm, machinery etc. The setor is suffering from constriction due to EU regs and the competition from the new members.I do know of a farm for sale in the Dordogne complete with milking cows if you are interested but it is worth about 400,000 euros if you include the house too.(which needs a lot of money putting into it to make it "comfortable".

The other thing you could do is open a shop of some sort...there is quite a bit of space available in small towns. But it is a gamble. Again the language will hinder your setting it up though that is not insurmuntable. You would be best to look in English speaking areas.

Finally I know of a typical bar in this town for sale, owned by a Brit and frequented by the local British population. His wife has been ill this year and the bar/hotel has been closed ...I think he wants about 250,000 euros for it but it is on the high street and is crying out for some TLC. Salies is also host to lots of tourists in summer, two large festivals and has welcomed two new very modern restaurants this year. In addition there is no other hotel in the town itself. it could be a very nice proposition...and is in the SW of the country...if you want further info, PM me via here??

I know this sounds odd but have you ever thought of going somewhere like Slovenia or one of the other newer EU members...Poland, Bulgaria etc. I hear your money goes a lot further there and there are jobs. In addition they are beautiful countries...

Sorry to be so negative but that is the situation ATM. Howevr we all do wosh SOMEONE would take that bar over, upgrade it and enliven our high street. How about an Irish bar??
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I saw a tv program recently on uk tv about eastern Europeans wanting to move to the uk.
They underestimated the level of language skills they required and the difficulty in getting employment in London and how much money they would need to bring with them.
Don't make the same mistake.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:45 pm
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

I think the OP has packed up already and moved somewhere.

With commitment like this, I don't think anywhere will suit.