Newbie to Boulogne Billancourt

Newbie to Boulogne Billancourt

Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:28 am
Gog
Just Joined

Gog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie to Boulogne Billancourt

Hi all,

I've just accepted a job in Boulogne Billancourt (eastern side, on Quai Point du Jour). My family are staying in Devon and I will be based in Paris from Monday to Friday. Crazy, I know.

I am looking at short term accommodation, so I can explore before committing to anything long term. I found a couple of studios for around 900/month within walking distance of my office, around Avenue Edouard Vaillant, quite close to Porte de Saint Cloud. It's more than I want to pay, but I can afford it for three months as my employer is helping out. I wondered if people know if this is a reasonably safe area for a total newbie to Paris with (for the moment) zero French. I would have preferred to have been closer to Roland Garros/Bois de Bologne, but the prices were much more expensive and for the first few months I really only need a bed until I find my feet.

Any help or advice very welcome. I imagine I'll be asking lots of questions over the next few days/weeks/months/years.......

Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:19 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie to Boulogne Billancourt

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
If you take a short-term rental within walking distance to your work, to tide you over at the start, you can look around for something cheaper, maybe further away on the Métro or a bus route, but NOT towards the 16ème!
Can't help re "safe" areas, you'd have to play it by ear when you're looking around....
Don't hesitate to ask questions, we're here to help, even if we live elsewhere in France (the bureaucracy is the same all over!)
Good luck, esp. with your weekend commuting!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 3:20 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gog
Hi all,

I've just accepted a job in Boulogne Billancourt (eastern side, on Quai Point du Jour). My family are staying in Devon and I will be based in Paris from Monday to Friday. Crazy, I know.

I am looking at short term accommodation, so I can explore before committing to anything long term. I found a couple of studios for around 900/month within walking distance of my office, around Avenue Edouard Vaillant, quite close to Porte de Saint Cloud. It's more than I want to pay, but I can afford it for three months as my employer is helping out. I wondered if people know if this is a reasonably safe area for a total newbie to Paris with (for the moment) zero French. I would have preferred to have been closer to Roland Garros/Bois de Bologne, but the prices were much more expensive and for the first few months I really only need a bed until I find my feet.

Any help or advice very welcome. I imagine I'll be asking lots of questions over the next few days/weeks/months/years.......

Welcome to the Forum, If you get any issues give me a shout.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I lived the other side of Bois de Boulogne until very recently, so know Saint Cloud and Bolougne Billancourt quite well as they were just a few bus stops outside of Paris - both family friendly and safe areas of Paris, with easy access into the central city. We deliberately went to Saint Cloud for the birth of both our children just because the area and hospital are excellent, even though we were much closer to other hospitals in Paris.
Once you become more familiar with the city and suburbs I think you'll find you've chosen a good spot. You also have lots of huge parks and getaways if city life stresses you out.