Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

New tax to be levied on property in France

New tax to be levied on property in France

Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Pintofbest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New tax to be levied on property in France

Apparently a new tax on property will be introduced in February 2012. Where can I find information about it?
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New tax to be levied on property in France

Originally Posted by Pintofbest
Apparently a new tax on property will be introduced in February 2012. Where can I find information about it?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Do you mean the Taxe Foncière for which an increase was PROPOSED for expats' second homes? AFAIK the Government withdrew this proposition.
Or maybe it's another form of tax, in which case can you give us the French term and we'll find out (for you and for us, too!)
Old Sep 18th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pintofbest
Hi,
You may be referring to the changes in capital gains on the sale of a second home (résidence secondaire). Up to now they were exonerated from capital gains (taxe sur la plus value) after 15 years ownership. This has now gone up to 30 years, meaning that if you buy and then sell at a profit before the 30 years are up, you're liable to capital gains, calculated on a sliding scale, prorata temporis. Follows a summary of the changes. No reduction before five years are up, then :

La réforme présentée par le Premier ministre François Fillon et modifiée par le Parlement a aménagé cet abattement par année de détention. L'abattement pour durée de détention sera de 2% par année au-delà de la cinquième, 4% au-delà de la 17ème, puis 8% au-delà de la 24ème. Ce qui aboutit à une exonération totale après 30 ans de détention.
Ce nouveau dispositif entrera en vigueur pour les actes authentiques signés à compter du 1er février 2012.
Les plus-values sur la cession de la résidence principale restent en revanche exonérées.
PB
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Do you mean the Taxe Foncière for which an increase was PROPOSED for expats' second homes? AFAIK the Government withdrew this proposition.
Or maybe it's another form of tax, in which case can you give us the French term and we'll find out (for you and for us, too!)
Thank you dmu. I'm sure the tax I read about was not an increase in an existing tax like Taxe Fonciere for the gist of the piece I read suggested that it was a wheeze to raise more funds from expats rather than from already highly-taxed French voters. I'll reply to Peabrain's comments with more detail about the tax in question.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you PB, it seems to me that you have identified it correctly as an increase in the tax on capital gains. Yesterday I received a flier from GTF, a Paris-based 'administrateur de biens' titled REFORME DES PLUS-VALUES IMMOBILIERES and sub-titled 'C'est le moment de reflechir a la gestion de votre patrimoine'. L'Assemblie Nationale a vote le 7 Septembre 2011 une reform relative a l'imposition sur les plus-values immobilieres, qui doit etre confirmee par le Senat. Desormais a partir du 1er fevrier 2012 la fiscalite sur les plu-values immobilieres (a l'exception de la residence principale) sera beaucoup moins favorable. La regime actuel permet un abattement de 10% par an des la 6eme annee de detention, soit une exoneration totale au bout de 15 ans de detention. Ces deux mesures ont ete modifiees par la nouvelle loi de finances tant au noveau de pourcentage de l'abattement que du nombre d'annee de detention.

Thank you for clarifying the matter for me.

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
You may be referring to the changes in capital gains on the sale of a second home (résidence secondaire). Up to now they were exonerated from capital gains (taxe sur la plus value) after 15 years ownership. This has now gone up to 30 years, meaning that if you buy and then sell at a profit before the 30 years are up, you're liable to capital gains, calculated on a sliding scale, prorata temporis. Follows a summary of the changes. No reduction before five years are up, then :

La réforme présentée par le Premier ministre François Fillon et modifiée par le Parlement a aménagé cet abattement par année de détention. L'abattement pour durée de détention sera de 2% par année au-delà de la cinquième, 4% au-delà de la 17ème, puis 8% au-delà de la 24ème. Ce qui aboutit à une exonération totale après 30 ans de détention.
Ce nouveau dispositif entrera en vigueur pour les actes authentiques signés à compter du 1er février 2012.
Les plus-values sur la cession de la résidence principale restent en revanche exonérées.
PB