Moving to Lyon

Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

macgyver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Lyon

I'm assured that what remains to be done is now a formality of paper work, and so it looks like I am Franceward bound, to the Lyon area. Workwise I will be to the east of the city (Dagneux). This could be as soon as April but is more likely to be June-July.

I was wondering if anyone familiar with the area can give me some good starting points, good places to live, places to avoid, etc. I will be given some help by work to get across, but I believe finding a place will ultimately be up to me - over the course of the next few months I'm going to be sent across for a week/two weeks at a time so I can get a feel for the area and scout it out.

I'm in two minds as to whether I'd want to live east of Dagneux and as close as possible to the Alps (whilst maintaining a reasonable commute (reasonable for me is less than 30 minutes driving, or cycleable)), or as with moving to a new city, let alone a new country, if would I not also find it easier to meet people, and integrate in a city with a lot going on?

Time to start hunting out information on taxes, utilities and so on so forth. I get the feeling that it's going to be an awfully busy few months..
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Lyon

You should find the collection of links on reddit's Lyon wiki page helpful.

Good luck with your preparations and move!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:41 am
Just Joined

macgyver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Lyon

Doh I posted this the day before going on holiday, poor form I know.

Thanks for the reply graham. It would appear that things have moved on in my absence and the "formalities" have been done, and the decision is now down to myself. So it looks like we're going to be making the move.

I'm being sort of drip-fed over there; being sent over to the site near Lyon for some of March, some of April and then most of June, and then likely moving in July.

I've been assured that I will be given a lot of help to move though, which allays some fears. Now to start learning French intensively.

Scary times!