Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Old May 21st 2015, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Quick update from us! Louis (just turned 9) been at school about 2.5 weeks and doing OK (very tired of course). He says he is understanding more and more but still not saying much. Josh (13 nearly 14) started in 4ieme this week (a bit of a balls up with getting him in - not impressed but he is there now!) and seems to be doing OK, a nice English teacher is giving him extra lessons. So looking forward to them both being fluent!
Old May 21st 2015, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

JoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond repute

my kids never took the exam in the end we decided to go local, however one downside is that you dont get the results until a couple of days before they start in september so make sure you have a back up plan!
Good luck!
Old May 21st 2015, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

JoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Clothmama glad to hear that things are going well for you and the kids - I think the tiredness is normal, mine are MUCH more tired here than at home because I think 'thinking' in another language is exhausting! Where did you move to in the end?
x
Old May 21st 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JoeM
Hey Clothmama glad to hear that things are going well for you and the kids - I think the tiredness is normal, mine are MUCH more tired here than at home because I think 'thinking' in another language is exhausting! Where did you move to in the end?
x
In the Dordogne between Periguex and Bergerac, nice market town with lots of businesses open, schools etc and not too many expats that I can see!
Old May 21st 2015, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Kathygf12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, tests this year will be held end of june/beginning of july for all. So no more sessions late August.
Entrance tests for CP is an informal chat by group of 5-6 children which french teacher and english teacher separately. It is not really a test for them. It's a way to evaluate their level in each languages.
The other classes will have oral and written tests in French, English and math. But i can't really say more as my girl got in CP.
Tiredness is normal. Don't know the system in Oz but kids finish school around 3 in UK and here they only finish at 4.30! So kids have longer journeys and in the case of the csi, kids have to learn the same amount than in a local school with less time as they share their school time with the english class! X
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

nottelling is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Kathygf12! I'm trying to help a little girl applying for 7th grade/5ieme. Her English is fine (she did grades 1-4 in the US) but is not used to non-French testing, so I was just hoping to get as much information as possible!