Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Old Mar 5th 2014, 11:19 am
Just Joined

JoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Hello,we are 40 yr olds moving to Lyon this summer with work from Ireland with 8 and 13 yr old. I am english, my husband french. The children speak french - but aren't bi-lingual. They can just about read a VERY basic young book or at least get the idea! We will definitely never live in the uk this is a permanent move for us. I can speak fairly good french. So advice on schooling please (not too expensive though max 2k each). CSI - looks fairly good/Ombrossa? Or just the straight french schools - if so any recommendations please?
All advice and help very gratefully received. Thank you
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Hi,

The CSI is a decent school, offering, for a fee, education in English. I believe the cost is around 3,000 euros a year. It's a shame that the British and French authorities can't get their act together and agree, as at the CSI, the only languages that are fee-paying are English and (I think) Japanese, all the others are taught free of charge.

Unlike so many French secondary schools, the CSI does have a certain ethos, something like that to be found in British schools (or at least as was in my day) and a lot of the teaching is done by British or American teachers. Far more emphasis is put on the arts compared with the French system where maths is all that matters when selecting the best. The school is also a state-run comprehensive, with a catchment area that can hardly said to be Lyon's poshest. The English-speaking pupils can be a bit stuck-up, coming as they often do from upper middle-class backgrounds, living out in the sticks and with parents that work in the upper echelons. Having to mix with working class kids from Gerland isn't a bad idea for some of these rich kids.

Depending on the district you live in, there are good schools elsewhere in Lyon, which is a city that takes education seriously. However, other schools don't offer genuinely bi-lingual classes. The Lycée du Parc is excellent (and free) for those that live in the up-market 6th district, and there are also decent private schools, (Ste Marie, St Marc, Les Chartreux) state-aided and therefore cheap. One would be advised to avoid some schools in Vaulx en Velin or Villeurbanne.

One advantage of the CSI is that it will be an asset for a child that wants to go on to higher education in the UK, although there are numerous cases of French students getting places in British universities after having graduated from French high schools. The French system doesn't only have faults....

Good luck with your search.

PB
Old Mar 5th 2014, 10:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeM
Hello,we are 40 yr olds moving to Lyon this summer with work from Ireland with 8 and 13 yr old. I am english, my husband french. The children speak french - but aren't bi-lingual. They can just about read a VERY basic young book or at least get the idea! We will definitely never live in the uk this is a permanent move for us. I can speak fairly good french. So advice on schooling please (not too expensive though max 2k each). CSI - looks fairly good/Ombrossa? Or just the straight french schools - if so any recommendations please?
All advice and help very gratefully received. Thank you
I think the decision might have to be made separately for the 8 & the 13 yr old. The 8 year old has a few years to get fully up to speed in French and especially with a) a more than basic knowledge and b) two french speaking parents, should have no problems in a French School.

Your husband is French (and presumably was therefore educated in France) and will understand the differences in methods and priorities for the 13 yr old.

You say it's a permanent move for you, so why not just get stuck in to France?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:48 am
Just Joined

JoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond reputeJoeM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Thank you so much for these replies especially PB your details are REALLY REALLY helpful and I appreciate your opinion.
Thank you guys!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 8:09 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think the decision might have to be made separately for the 8 & the 13 yr old. The 8 year old has a few years to get fully up to speed in French and especially with a) a more than basic knowledge and b) two french speaking parents, should have no problems in a French School.

Your husband is French (and presumably was therefore educated in France) and will understand the differences in methods and priorities for the 13 yr old.

You say it's a permanent move for you, so why not just get stuck in to France?
+1
The 13 yr old would have problems with French Grammar/Literature, France-oriented History and general Culture, and would find it difficult to follow science subjects if thrown in Collège at the deep end. Most children take the Brevet at 14-15 and a Pass (in French, Maths, History/Geo) is obligatory to go up to Lycée..... The OP's husband must realise this - up to him to take things in hand, with total immersion for the next six months!
To me, too, a permanent move means integration of both children in all things French....
Old Mar 6th 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

dmu thank you for adding to my post - I think my plan is probably to send the children to CSI and put 13 yr old back a year if they will allow it. With regards to general culture I think we do have slight immersion as husband is french. School in ireland ends in May so will have three months immersion before starting school in Lyon.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 12:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeM
dmu thank you for adding to my post - I think my plan is probably to send the children to CSI and put 13 yr old back a year if they will allow it. With regards to general culture I think we do have slight immersion as husband is french. School in ireland ends in May so will have three months immersion before starting school in Lyon.
Sorry, I had to check to see exactly what CSI is
It's quite common for (French) children to stay down a year, and I don't think it would be an issue.
I was thinking more along the lines of your OH giving them an idea of French History that all French kids know, getting them to learn basic French Grammar, and both of you reading typical French children's books (classics, Tintin, Astérix...) with them, AS FROM NOW!! Watching DVDs of French comedies, with sub-titles in English, would also be an entertaining way of absorbing the spoken language.
Off-topic maybe, but presume that you know all the ins and outs of running a business in France, tax questions and healthcare coverage for the family? If not, there are plenty of folk here who can advise, but you'd have to start another thread!!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: MOVING TO LYON WITH 13 & 8 yr old

Hello DMU thanks again for your help, yes we are currently working through the Petit Nicholas books. Tintin a big favourite here (mainly with my husband!) Grandmaman (in Nimes) supplies us with french movies on a regular basis (Belle & Sebastian, Le Guerre du Buttons etc etc). And they receive les Belles Histoire in the post monthly! Luckily won't be self employed - from what I hear it SOO complicated! Wish we'd done this a couple of years ago before the teenage years but sometimes life just doesn't work out that way - luckily my daughter is a very 'young' teenager so is more flexible about moving. We lived in france before until she was 5 and she can really remember going to school there and has very positive memories - at least she won't have to learn Gaelic anymore - a big part of irish education here which is SO difficult to learn!
Thank you
Joe
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:53 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Very very best of luck, moving with a teenager is never an easy thing. Try to join a bi-lingual kids club pretty fast. I joined one when my son was very small, in Le Mans, and am still friends with some of the women I met there now. Most of them were In bi-lingual families, and it was interesting and invaluable how they approached, learning, teaching and speaking at home and together in front of, and with, the kids.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you MillieF I really appreciate your support
Old May 25th 2014, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Kathygf12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello JoeM, i was just wondering how your move to Lyon is going? We're also moving to Lyon in August. We're both French but have been living in England for a very long time (12 years for me and 18 years for my partner). My partner has been relocated with his job so all family is moving. Our youngest is only 15 months old so he won't be an issue. But our daughter has just turn 6! She is fluent in both languages (better english that french actually) but we really want her to carry on with the english. So we have looked at the CSI. My partner managed to go at one of their open day. Kids coming from abroad and not speaking/writing french are put in class of french taught to foreigners. They stay in theses special classes until they reached the level they are suppose to have. So in your case i'm not sure your eldest will need to go back a year.
But the problem with this school it's they are oversubscribe so they are no guarantee to get a place unfortunately.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kathy we are aiming to move in July will probably put our kids into CSI if we can but nothing definite yet. I am wondering about the exam that my kids have to take in August - if they do badly does that mean they can't get in?? My husband is going to try and visit the school next week to try to find out more. Let keep in touch
Old May 28th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the Lyon International School just outside Lyon, a small school and I gather it is expensive--perhaps best suited to older teenagers who have no French background and who need a more anglophone environment...I have no personal experience but know many parents and kids who love it.

Also know many bi-lingual families who love both CSI and Ambrosa.

Am no longer in Lyon so can't help directly--good luck to those moving there, it's a wonderful city!

Check out the great organisation for newcomers, AVF. It has an international group that meets in Vieux Lyon.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Kathygf12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JoeM, sorry it took me that long to reply to your post. But partner is already working in France and busy up to my eye ball at the moment!
I believe the tests in French is just to evaluate their level so they know in which french foreign language classes to put them. Regarding the test in math, i'm not sure. As my little one is applying for the CP it's different! She will be tested in French and English but we've been told it will be informal and in group.
Yes, let's keep in touch. Will be nice to meet up once we've all have moved.
Have you already find a place where to live?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:52 am
Just Joined

So we are finally moving to Lyon on 4th July staying with family in St Just to vein with a looking for a house not TOO far out. St foy looks good - close enough to schools etc let me know if you have any advice please thanks x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.