Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

MOVING HOUSE NEED HELP

MOVING HOUSE NEED HELP

Old Jun 14th 2008, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Lyndy has a spectacular aura aboutLyndy has a spectacular aura aboutLyndy has a spectacular aura about
Default MOVING HOUSE NEED HELP

Hi there,
I live in Le Bugue and will be moving in August to Riberac, does anyone know if I can keep the same telephone number, they seem to all begin with 0553 in both places,also when do I have to inform EDF and France telecom to switch services, I heard I have to give them than 1 months notice is this right?
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING HOUSE NEED HELP

Originally Posted by Lyndy
Hi there,
I live in Le Bugue and will be moving in August to Riberac, does anyone know if I can keep the same telephone number, they seem to all begin with 0553 in both places,also when do I have to inform EDF and France telecom to switch services, I heard I have to give them than 1 months notice is this right?
I think you'd have to contact France Télécom. The 05 means the South West of France and the 53 is the code for your Département, the next pair of numbers corresponds to the Le Bugue area, and the last four are your numbers. I don't know how far Le Bugue is away from Ribérac or how populated the area is - if L.B. is within about 10 km from R. for example, you may be able to keep your number. Only FT can tell you. If I were you, I'd give your moving date both to FT and EdF as from now. That will give the latter time to arrange an appointment to read the meter the day before you leave.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Flutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant futureFlutterfly has a brilliant future

When we moved to a house half an hour away, (short term while we had work going on) we were able to keep our telephone number. This was because we were still in the same departement and apparently still on the same exchange. As dmu says, a call to France Telecom will confirm one way or the other. I am not sure on timescale with EDF though. Good luck!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
I think you'd have to contact France Télécom. The 05 means the South West of France and the 53 is the code for your Département, the next pair of numbers corresponds to the Le Bugue area, and the last four are your numbers. I don't know how far Le Bugue is away from Ribérac or how populated the area is - if L.B. is within about 10 km from R. for example, you may be able to keep your number. Only FT can tell you. If I were you, I'd give your moving date both to FT and EdF as from now. That will give the latter time to arrange an appointment to read the meter the day before you leave.
Originally Posted by Flutterfly
When we moved to a house half an hour away, (short term while we had work going on) we were able to keep our telephone number. This was because we were still in the same departement and apparently still on the same exchange. As dmu says, a call to France Telecom will confirm one way or the other. I am not sure on timescale with EDF though. Good luck!
The PSTN number break down is not department related that system was dropped in the 90's local code here is 0561 and we are in 09 you can only keep the number here if your exchange is fed by the same Primary Exchange as that has the IN network SS7 signaling equipment in it(The network that deals with Number allocation and forwarding call infomation to other exchanges to inform of person calling etc).
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The PSTN number break down is not department related that system was dropped in the 90's local code here is 0561 and we are in 09 you can only keep the number here if your exchange is fed by the same Primary Exchange as that has the IN network SS7 signaling equipment in it(The network that deals with Number allocation and forwarding call infomation to other exchanges to inform of person calling etc).
When I said that the second pair of numbers was the code for the Département, I didn't mean the postal code, but the telephone code. For some reason France Télécom (whatever it was called at the time) didn't use the postal code, which would have been more logical. So all telephone numbers in the Ariège start with 05 61, those in the Hérault 04 67, etc. with some exceptions where a Département may have two codes due to large number of subscribers, and Paris and the Paris region (01) which must have hundreds.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyndy
Hi there,
Hi

If you're staying in the same departement then France Telecom will allow you to keep your number. If you want to do this give them as much notice as you can especially if you have an ADSL connection. If you don't don't expect your line to be open when you move