Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Freelance or Self-employed??

Freelance or Self-employed??

Old May 13th 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

JLR72 is a jewel in the roughJLR72 is a jewel in the roughJLR72 is a jewel in the roughJLR72 is a jewel in the rough
Default Freelance or Self-employed??

Hello

I'm trying to find details on the administrative differences between becoming freelance or self employed (micro enterprise) in France. I can't seem to find much information on the differences and many times it appears to be the same thing.

Can anyone send me a decent web site link with information regarding this subject?

Also, has anyone ever been to one of the French Chambre de Commerce courses for French administrative know-how in English, for English?

Thanks for help
Old May 14th 2008, 11:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freelance or Self-employed??

Originally Posted by JLR72
Hello

I'm trying to find details on the administrative differences between becoming freelance or self employed (micro enterprise) in France. I can't seem to find much information on the differences and many times it appears to be the same thing.

Can anyone send me a decent web site link with information regarding this subject?

Also, has anyone ever been to one of the French Chambre de Commerce courses for French administrative know-how in English, for English?

Thanks for help
No one else seems to be replying and I can't help much, but I believe that freelance (aka travailleurs indépendants) covers professions such as translators, graphic designers, draughtsmen..., and micro-entreprises are for artisans. If you've got a few days to spare, look on Google (France) for "TVA", "URSSAF", "micro-entreprises", "travailleurs indépendants", and then in the "Pages Jaunes" for a local Expert-Comptable to advise you!
I was travailleuse indépendante for a year, but was advised to set up a company (at the time the only possibility was an Sàrl), as freelancers have virtually no Social Security coverage and peanuts for a Pension. Be warned.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

JLR72 is a jewel in the roughJLR72 is a jewel in the roughJLR72 is a jewel in the roughJLR72 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the info, I'll look up the travailleurs indépendants but as you say if the benefits aren't so good maybe it's better to go down the micro enterprise route. I know what you mean researching this is almost a full time job!

I'm hoping that somewhere I can find this course for English from the chambre de commerce that will give me a much better understanding of the workings of the system.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks for help

Hi there
not sure where about in Toulouse you are, but I found this link which might help. It's in English, with a phone number for the CCI. There was a course in English in February, most areas that run them do so 4 times a year, so if you give them a call you should be able to find out when the next one is.
http://www.rodez.cci.fr/en/index.php
I don't know what sort of work you do, but you might also want to look at this website for freelance workers
http://www.freelanceinfrance.com/
Old May 15th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit unsure myself, so paid for a French (English) accountant based in France. It cost a small fortune, but has given me peace of mind, and he was able to answer all my tax related questions. I do a combination of freelance type work (webdesign) and selling commercial goods, and I've set up as an EI for now. I was a bit annoyed after paying so much, as the forms were all sent to the Chambre de Commerce at the end of April, and 5 days later I got a letter saying it had actually gone to the wrong address and they'd forwarded it to the right place. It's now been 15 days and I still haven't heard back and therefore am still unable to work for any profit.

The micro-enterprise doesn't have very good tax benefits and the turnover threshold is not very much before you have to upgrade. If you're unsure, I certainly recommend contacting an accountant. Advice is normally 100 euros an hour give or take, but if you get things wrong, I hear the authorities are quite strict and it could cost you a whole heap more.

I went to the Chambre of Commerce in Paris in February or January time, but ended up queuing for the wrong department so wasted my afternoon. They do courses for people starting up, but I didn't see any for English speakers. It's not to say they don't exist of course.
Old May 22nd 2008, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Val and GJB for responding and sending advice and links. I've been exhausting myself trying to find out the best way to move forward. I am coming to the conclusion that visiting an accountant may indeed be the wisest approach.

thanks again
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

wwide traveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear you are very confused.

I have set up my EI in France less than a year ago...this is just some advice I can give and of course the best website is http://www.apce.com/pid371/apce.html. Also: DO SPEAK TO AN ACCOUNTANT!

Micro Entreprise is a tax regime...it does not mean self employed.

When you are a one man's business: you can be an EI (entreprise individuelle) or a EURL (Limited one person company).

If your one man's business has a turnover of less than 27000 euros a year (services industry) than you can chose the micro entreprise tax status (the tax office will automatically take your turnover minus 34% to calculate your benefits. No VAT requirements are set)...
Otherwise you will chose the regime de la declaration controlee tax status, also called "2035" and the tax will calculate your benefits the normal way ie turnover minus expenses etc....

The EI is easier to set up. You will go to the Centre de Formalites des Entreprises which is usually URSSAF and file in a form to set up your EI.

For EURL, you need to write up company statutes, it is a bit more complicated, but an accountant could explain what the best way is for you to start.

Beware of National Insurance Contributions in France: they are extremely high! (like 40% or more of your income) nothing to do with the nice self employed NI you have in the UK. And you HAVE to pay a minimum amount (which is high several thousands of euros) whether you make money or not.

You need to prepare really well.

Hope this helps APCE website is definitely a great one.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks for help
Hi I can second the very good info given by wwide traveller.

I set up my plumbing buisness about 18months ago. I used the APCE website a lot. You will also have to do a 1 week course at la chambre des métiers/Commerce before going along to the CFE.