Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions - help please

Lots of questions - help please

Old Jul 17th 2022, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lots of questions - help please

We have sold our house in the UK and will be moving over in late September. I have an Irish & UK passport my husbands has a UK passport.

We were hoping to get a long term gite rental until we find a house to buy. Looking at car insurance my understanding is they would require proof of address in the form of a utility bill? Which I don't think we would have from a gite rental. Trying to find a rental that is not a holiday home is proving difficult mainly because I am not sure where to look.

What has been your recent experience of renting and proof of address. Do we need the utility bill or am I misunderstanding?
Old Jul 17th 2022, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

baroudeur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lots of questions - help please

Originally Posted by Dahab
We have sold our house in the UK and will be moving over in late September. I have an Irish & UK passport my husbands has a UK passport.

We were hoping to get a long term gite rental until we find a house to buy. Looking at car insurance my understanding is they would require proof of address in the form of a utility bill? Which I don't think we would have from a gite rental. Trying to find a rental that is not a holiday home is proving difficult mainly because I am not sure where to look.

What has been your recent experience of renting and proof of address. Do we need the utility bill or am I misunderstanding?
Is it possible to register and insure a car in France as a non-resident?

As an EU citizen you will have to register after three months in France but can do so earlier.
Old Jul 17th 2022, 4:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are you retired, or planning on looking for work, or self-employed/ planning on starting your own business, or do you have business/ investment income from outside France that you expect to continue after relocating to France?
Old Jul 17th 2022, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

In relation to proving your address in France will you have a proper rental contract or booking form or something similar ?
The other possibility is to get the gite owner to do you an "attestation d'hebergement" (so do not take an under the table deal) Have you looked at a long term Air B and B
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/R39697

If you are intending to re register your car in France then you have to do it within one month -insurance companies will only cover a non French registered car for one month
One tip -reregister your car using a company such as Cartaplac https://www.cartaplac.com/ or a local garage -that way you get to speak to a real person rather than trying to do it online

Pulaski's questions are relevant as for your husband to circumvent the visa requirements as the spouse of an EU citizen you will need to show relevant income and your own "statut" ie retired with pension job plans etc

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Jul 17th 2022 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2022, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
.... Pulaski's questions are relevant as for your husband to circumvent the visa requirements as the spouse of an EU citizen you will need to show relevant income and your own "statut" ie retired with pension job plans etc
Agreed, but they may, depending on their plans and situation, benefit from some practical advice on how to go about things - just because you're legally entitled to do something doesn't mean you have enough knowledge to actually do it, at least not without stress and aggravation.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Pulask. Totally agree with you any practical advise offered I will gladly take. I am in receipt of a UK pension private and government. My husband is 60 and will be retiring from his job here this month. He won't get his government or private pension for another 7 years yet. We will have income from a rental property here in the UK plus funds in the bank of over 250k

Listen Very Carefully. Lots of useful info - thanks very much. We are not bringing a car over we will buy one when we get there. I have reached out to a few gite owners who are happy to give us a long term rental agreement. My husband seems to think insurance company's will want to see a utility bill as well this we are struggling with.

Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

OK in relation to the proof of address an attestation d'hebergement is generally acceptable. The link if followed through to its conclusion explains this.
In relation to your arrival here then your husband has 90 days to register at the prefecture for his TDS as spouse of an EU national Check the website for the relevant prefecture
In relation to your income you should note that your state pension should be paid tax free by the UK;there is a form for this.Government occupational pensions and rental income will be taxed in the UK You will need to do a french tax return,and you will find a trip to the local tax office very beneficial as they are very helpful .As a general rule taxation in France is done on a household basis.
Health-As a state pensioner you are eligible for an S1 which means that the UK state will pay for your healthcare in France.Check also with the Overseas Health Team on 0191 218 1999 whether this will cover your husband as well.You can apply for french state healthcare after 3 months residence in France but you may need to think about private health cover until then.
I will not cover how to apply as I do not want to overload you but other specific questions please ask as there are lots of people with lots of different knowledge who can help
Old Jul 18th 2022, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you retired, or planning on looking for work, or self-employed/ planning on starting your own business, or do you have business/ investment income from outside France that you expect to continue after relocating to France?
In relation to proving your address in France will you have a proper rental contract or booking form or something similar ?
The other possibility is to get the gite owner to do you an "attestation d'hebergement" (so do not take an under the table deal) Have you looked at a long term Air B and B
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/R39697

If you are intending to re register your car in France then you have to do it within one month -insurance companies will only cover a non French registered car for one month
One tip -reregister your car using a company such as Cartaplac https://www.cartaplac.com/ or a local garage -that way you get to speak to a real person rather than trying to do it online

Pulaski's questions are relevant as for your husband to circumvent the visa requirements as the spouse of an EU citizen you will need to show relevant income and your own "statut" ie retired with pension job plans etc
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, but they may, depending on their plans and situation, benefit from some practical advice on how to go about things - just because you're legally entitled to do something doesn't mean you have enough knowledge to actually do it, at least not without stress and aggravation.
OK in relation to the proof of address an attestation d'hebergement is generally acceptable. The link if followed through to its conclusion explains this.
In relation to your arrival here then your husband has 90 days to register at the prefecture for his TDS as spouse of an EU national Check the website for the relevant prefecture
In relation to your income you should note that your state pension should be paid tax free by the UK;there is a form for this.Government occupational pensions and rental income will be taxed in the UK You will need to do a french tax return,and you will find a trip to the local tax office very beneficial as they are very helpful .As a general rule taxation in France is done on a household basis.
Health-As a state pensioner you are eligible for an S1 which means that the UK state will pay for your healthcare in France.Check also with the Overseas Health Team on 0191 218 1999 whether this will cover your husband as well.You can apply for french state healthcare after 3 months residence in France but you may need to think about private health cover until then.
I will not cover how to apply as I do not want to overload you but other specific questions please ask as there are lots of people with lots of different knowledge who can help

Thanks so much for your reply. You have clarified what we thought regarding my husband having to register for his TDS.

I have tried calling the Oversea's health team but have been sitting in line for nearly an hour each time.

Any recommendations for private health care would be appreciated.