france fires

Old Jul 19th 2022, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default france fires

first i would like to say how sad it is to see the fires in france ,coming from portugal we have our fair share,so i know how worring it can be.
But i will be driving back for a visit to UK next week and BORDEAUX Is on the route, how is travel tru that area on the way to Dieppe.
thanks Nigel
Old Jul 19th 2022, 4:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: france fires

Originally Posted by santaanita
first i would like to say how sad it is to see the fires in france ,coming from portugal we have our fair share,so i know how worring it can be.
But i will be driving back for a visit to UK next week and BORDEAUX Is on the route, how is travel tru that area on the way to Dieppe.
thanks Nigel
The fires are moving fast everywhere, and the situation now will be very different to that in a weeks time - keep an eye on the whole route for the next few days.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you know already, but if not Google Maps now have fire alerts and you should be able to see active fires on route. It's hard to imagine the heat and how many fires are going on at moment, especially when you are in Ireland with temps around 20c. I'm just watching German TV and they have special programmes about the extreme heat and fires in Germany and France.
Old Jul 19th 2022, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Maybe you know already, but if not Google Maps now have fire alerts and you should be able to see active fires on route. It's hard to imagine the heat and how many fires are going on at moment, especially when you are in Ireland with temps around 20c. I'm just watching German TV and they have special programmes about the extreme heat and fires in Germany and France.
I am in France at the moment, no doubt about blistering heat. Local farmers patrolling to keep an eye out for fires, though in southwest I think much worse.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 7:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Nigel
As suggested, follow the news daily from now on.
Whatever, it might add to the mileage, but I'd be inclined to avoid potential problems by "turning right" upon arrival in France and going north via Toulouse.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Whatever, it might add to the mileage, but I'd be inclined to avoid potential problems by "turning right" upon arrival in France and going north via Toulouse.
Do you mean the A20 route past Limoges and I think coming from Portugal that would be too much of a journey? Although you have fewer tolls, it really is a boring journey and probably even more tiring coming from that far.

Old Jul 20th 2022, 11:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the A20 route past Limoges and I think coming from Portugal that would be too much of a journey? Although you have fewer tolls, it really is a boring journey and probably even more tiring coming from that far.
The tolls and boring scenery would be a small price to pay if it means avoiding fires though.
Old Jul 20th 2022, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The tolls and boring scenery would be a small price to pay if it means avoiding fires though.
Of course, but plenty of other routes.

Old Jul 20th 2022, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

The fires have also broken out in Brittany on the Monts d'Aree not a million miles from us.The area is a bit like Dartmoor. Fortunately all the local pompiers(mainly recruits) train regularly to deal with fires such as this which often creep underground but they seem to be getting on top of it,but I have I unlocked the lid on my well just in case!!!!
Old Jul 20th 2022, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

h
i am stopping over night at irun then into france fist stop just outside tours,then on to dieppe the next day

Old Jul 20th 2022, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
yes roger that, wont be heading towards Toulouse,might hug the bay of biscay wet sounds nice

Old Jul 20th 2022, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
words of wisdom Pollyana thanks
Old Jul 21st 2022, 7:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

yes roger that, wont be heading towards Toulouse,might hug the bay of biscay wet sounds nice
"Hugging" the Bay of Biscay means passing through the worst of the fires south of Bordeaux. Even if they've been mastered by then, the scenery will be worse than "boring".... A quick look at the map shows that it isn't all that much longer to drive to Tours via Toulouse....
Old Jul 21st 2022, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
"Hugging" the Bay of Biscay means passing through the worst of the fires south of Bordeaux. Even if they've been mastered by then, the scenery will be worse than "boring".... A quick look at the map shows that it isn't all that much longer to drive to Tours via Toulouse....
True, then again even more fires can start on that route. With the ongoing drought and heat no place is really safe and everything can change by next week.
Coming from Portugal you also have to pass the wildfires in Galicia and Losacio, but I'd say sticking to the main motorway is safer in any case.