Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Long Term House Rental

Long Term House Rental

Old May 9th 2005, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

dom g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long Term House Rental

Sorry i'm so useless! The only internet access I have at the moment is at work, and for some reason I can't attach pics. I also managed to lose your private e-mail address. I will hopefully be able to send you the pics from a friend's computer tomorrow. I'm not messing you around, but am frustrated by the internet connection. As I said in the original post, the rent would be £500 per month. This does not include electricity/rates etc, although these are not huge. This price is the normal going rate down here. I haven't upped it for Brits! Hope you're still interested.

Dom
Originally Posted by mitzipurr
I have replied to you privately on the above question where are U??? I hear nothing
Old May 9th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dom g
Sorry i'm so useless! The only internet access I have at the moment is at work, and for some reason I can't attach pics. I also managed to lose your private e-mail address. I will hopefully be able to send you the pics from a friend's computer tomorrow. I'm not messing you around, but am frustrated by the internet connection. As I said in the original post, the rent would be £500 per month. This does not include electricity/rates etc, although these are not huge. This price is the normal going rate down here. I haven't upped it for Brits! Hope you're still interested.

Dom
Hi Dom

I am working in euros as I do not live in the UK - you say you only have internet from work does that mean it would not be possible to have it at the house??
Old May 10th 2005, 6:05 am
Just Joined

dom g is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking for 700 euros a month, and yes there is internet at the house. Not Broadband yet, but the mayor of the village told me that it should arrive before the end of the year. I'm stuck near Montpellier working and renting a gite here for the moment so I don't have internet at home.

Pics to follow. My private e-mail is [email protected] [/COLOR]
Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Hi Dom

I am working in euros as I do not live in the UK - you say you only have internet from work does that mean it would not be possible to have it at the house??
Old May 13th 2005, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dom g
I'm looking for 700 euros a month, and yes there is internet at the house. Not Broadband yet, but the mayor of the village told me that it should arrive before the end of the year. I'm stuck near Montpellier working and renting a gite here for the moment so I don't have internet at home.

Pics to follow. My private e-mail is [email protected] [/COLOR]

I have sent an email to your private email but I got this message back today

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 2:12 AM
Subject: Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours

> **********************************************
> ** THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY **
> ** YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE **
> **********************************************
>
> The original message was received at Thu, 12 May 2005 18:49:14 +0100
> from localhost [127.0.0.1]
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> <[email protected]>... Deferred: Bad file descriptor
> Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
> Will keep trying until message is 5 days old
>
Old May 30th 2005, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

gplux is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Luxembourg but as my wife is French and France is only a few minutes away by motorway we have some knowledge of french long term rentals. All the comments you have received I would agree with but one important point. If you rent unfurnished be aware that many times this does not include a kitchen. The kitchen you may see in a property if not specifically mentioned in the contract will disappear when you move in. This is very normal but is slowly changing.
good luck gplux
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

whitewitchjs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Topsy
Hello,
Could anyone offer information on long term property rental in France - or direct me to any old postings on the subject.
Husband & I are looking at selling up in UK but unsure of purchasing straight away. Not looking for holiday rentals - but something long term, rural/semi-rural/village location inland France with moderate weather.
Have looked on web - but only seem to come up with shorter holiday rentals in typical tourist spots!
Thanks. Topsy

Long term rental in France is not difficult, first decide which area you would like to 'try'. Then find a gite (furnished, off season, with a fair price, check the prices for British owned and also French owned, there will be a price difference in most cases).

Rent the gite for a couple of weeks and buy the local papers, also find the local free papers. There will be many advertisements for rental property.

If you go through a notaire, it will cost you; the cost through an immobiliere (estate agent) will be somewhat less. The time agreed can be a year or more, but if after a few months if you decide to leave, you can give notice - usually the notice is one, two, or three months and must be given via the post, but can be from any time, not just the time when you started to pay rent!

When renting a French property and an inventory is done, make a note of every tiny mark, chip, dent, scratch, crack in tile, dirt in toilet or shower, you name it, make the person doing the inventory write it on the form which you will sign. If you don't do this you will most likely find yourself paying for a shower to be retiled, room to be repapered, and so on.

Rents are very reasonable, for a three bedroomed house with two bathrooms, garage and garden, in good condition about 500 - 600 euros a month. Four bedroom with same and even more, about 650 euros. Euros, not pounds. Mpst houses will not have more than a sink in the kitchen, unless the house is advertised as Cuisine Americaine.

Some houses are dumps, just keep looking and you'll find something, even the new builds are very good, better than most rentals in the UK, and the landlord doesn't normally say no pets, and the floors won't have tatty carpet, but tile, or wood.

Bonne Chance!

WW
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Topsy
Hello,
Could anyone offer information on long term property rental in France - or direct me to any old postings on the subject.
Husband & I are looking at selling up in UK but unsure of purchasing straight away. Not looking for holiday rentals - but something long term, rural/semi-rural/village location inland France with moderate weather.
Have looked on web - but only seem to come up with shorter holiday rentals in typical tourist spots!
Thanks. Topsy
I don't have the time at the moment to read all the replies. But be carefull on the contrcts. We have rented our 4 bed house for 2 1/2 years. If anything breaks (wear and tear type as everything was bought very cheaply and is now old) it is up to us to replace it!!

Also we took the place on and was told everything was up to date with services etc, so when the boiler broke, we called the landlord in to sort. The man that came said it hadn't been serviced in years by the state of it. We were left with a nasty bill, and were then expected to pay 6 weeks later to get the thing serviced again.

So when you are told you are signing a standard contract get someone to check it for you (if your French isn't great that is). My brother did read ours through (hes not an idiot) and speakes fluint french and he didn't pick it up in the contract and he studied it. Just a word of warning there.

Its a wonderful place to live.

Susi