Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Living near Montpelier/Toulouse

Living near Montpelier/Toulouse

Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

parkh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living near Montpelier/Toulouse

am exploring the possibility of coming to live in france with partner and three children (13 and 9) from september for a year. i speak good french, and we will not be looking for work.

we havent decided where exactly but were thinking south/south west...

most recently we have been thinking about montpelier to toulouse (i know that is a bit vague/wide area...

essentially we would like to live in smallish town, near vibrant interesting city, not too hot (although we are unlikely to be there in july/august) and not surrounded by foreigners. would like children to go to french school, but, and am not sure about this, but not in too tiny school where they might have difficulties integrating...

i was wondering whether anyone has any thoughts/experience/advice or suggestions. maybe perhaps recommend some interesting towns/village

thanks a million

fergal
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living near Montpelier/Toulouse

Originally Posted by parkh
am exploring the possibility of coming to live in france with partner and three children (13 and 9) from september for a year. i speak good french, and we will not be looking for work.

most recently we have been thinking about montpelier to toulouse (i know that is a bit vague/wide area...

essentially we would like to live in smallish town, near vibrant interesting city, not too hot (although we are unlikely to be there in july/august) and not surrounded by foreigners. would like children to go to french school, but, and am not sure about this, but not in too tiny school where they might have difficulties integrating...

i was wondering whether anyone has any thoughts/experience/advice or suggestions. maybe perhaps recommend some interesting towns/village

thanks a million

fergal

- Whether you go down south or up north the schools are going to be the same. There aren't catchment areas like in the UK - just send the kids to the local state school and they'll get on fine

- Whether you go to the east or the west you'll always find a nice smallish town near a vibrant interesting city.

- Theres no point going too far south if you don't like hot weather

If you dont have to work, then you're very lucky, and if you're only staying for 1 year then there's nothing from stopping you from travelling around and staying in different places on short term rental contracts. Even the kids can do without school for one year.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkh

thanks a million

fergal
I live in the north of the Hérault, very rural, but my daughters studied in Montpellier and I know it well - vibrant, interesting, dynamic, with several Universities to keep it young, not far from the sea, but, being in the plain, is HOT, from early Spring to Autumn. The BE members further west in the Languedoc-Roussillon and Midi-Pyrénees will be in a better position to tell you about Béziers, Narbonne, Perpignan, Carcassonne, Toulouse, etc...
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:33 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend Mirepoix - beautiful old town, lovely square, fantastic market, great shops, and panoramic views of the Pyrenees.