List of Sous-contrat Private Schools in Normandy

List of Sous-contrat Private Schools in Normandy

Old May 5th 2007, 6:36 pm
MAS
Just Joined

MAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Question List of Sous-contrat Private Schools in Normandy

Hi...

I wonder if anyone can tell us where we can find a list of Sous-contrat Private Schools in Normandy. We are scouring the internet, but with our only French being from O'levels 30 years ago we are struggling

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Mark
Old May 5th 2007, 7:00 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: List of Sous-contrat Private Schools in Normandy

Originally Posted by MAS
Hi...

I wonder if anyone can tell us where we can find a list of Sous-contrat Private Schools in Normandy. We are scouring the internet, but with our only French being from O'levels 30 years ago we are struggling

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

Mark
not certain what a sous contract is but heres a link for schools http://france.english-schools.org/
Old May 5th 2007, 7:13 pm
MAS
Just Joined

Hi Ka Ora... Thank you for the prompt reply. According to www.frenchentree.com 'Private schools are either “sous contrat” (where the government pays the teachers’ salaries and the school follows the national curriculum and schedule) or “hors contrat” (not subsidised by the government and free to set its own curriculum).
Schools which are “sous contrat” ask parents to pay a relatively modest annual fee, as low as €400 per annum. Bear in mind that these fees don’t include lunches, registration fees, transport, materials etc.
Those “hors contrat” schools have annual fees that are more in common with private schools anywhere in the world and can average between about €8,000 to €15,000 per year. '

I'll explore the link you mention and see what I can glean from it.

Thanks... Mark
Old May 5th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAS
Hi Ka Ora... Thank you for the prompt reply. According to www.frenchentree.com 'Private schools are either “sous contrat” (where the government pays the teachers’ salaries and the school follows the national curriculum and schedule) or “hors contrat” (not subsidised by the government and free to set its own curriculum).
Schools which are “sous contrat” ask parents to pay a relatively modest annual fee, as low as €400 per annum. Bear in mind that these fees don’t include lunches, registration fees, transport, materials etc.
Those “hors contrat” schools have annual fees that are more in common with private schools anywhere in the world and can average between about €8,000 to €15,000 per year. '

I'll explore the link you mention and see what I can glean from it.

Thanks... Mark
our 3 children went to this sort of school, at St Lo. Their website is http://www.etab.ac-caen.fr/isl/
We paid 690 euros last year for our youngest. Books were extra.
They were really helpful, especially as none of us spoke French when we first arrived. They do have weekly boarding facitilites for those who live further away. The school goes from maternelle through to lycee. There are also schools in Coutance and Caen that we looked at, but I can't remember their names - sorry. Will see if I can find them for you.
Normandy is a really large department. Do you have any particular area in mind?
Old May 5th 2007, 8:59 pm
MAS
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
our 3 children went to this sort of school, at St Lo. Their website is http://www.etab.ac-caen.fr/isl/
We paid 690 euros last year for our youngest. Books were extra.
They were really helpful, especially as none of us spoke French when we first arrived. They do have weekly boarding facitilites for those who live further away. The school goes from maternelle through to lycee. There are also schools in Coutance and Caen that we looked at, but I can't remember their names - sorry. Will see if I can find them for you.
Normandy is a really large department. Do you have any particular area in mind?
Hi Val50... I had come across the website for this school in St Lo, which looks worth investigating further from the photos. I hadn't found the price, though, and it is also reassuring to hear you found them so helpful.

We are keen to be pretty close to one of the ports as I shall be working in the UK during the week. St Lo is probably about as far as we would go inland, as I believe that is just over an hour from Cherbourg. The Caen school could be very much of interest to us, so if you do find the name that would be really helpful.

Thanks for your advice... Mark
Old May 5th 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough

We are keen to be pretty close to one of the ports as I shall be working in the UK during the week. St Lo is probably about as far as we would go inland, as I believe that is just over an hour from Cherbourg. The Caen school could be very much of interest to us, so if you do find the name that would be really helpful

You will find most of these schools are catholic ones, wasn't a problem for our kids, even though we aren't catholic, but I know some English children find the discipline there takes a bit of getting used to. If you are going to be working in UK, you would probably be better off looking more towards Caen. We are only 40 mins south of Cherbourg, and I used to work in Portsmouth, catching the ferry across each week. However, since P&O stopped their sailing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, access to Cherbourg is very restricted, especially over winter, and also very expensive. You have more choice if you travelling to Caen, and it is closer to Le Havre, so you could consider using LD lines as well.
Down towards Avranche might also be an option as you have flights into Dinard and ferries into St Malo.
Old May 5th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAS
Hi Val50... I had come across the website for this school in St Lo, which looks worth investigating further from the photos. I hadn't found the price, though, and it is also reassuring to hear you found them so helpful.

We are keen to be pretty close to one of the ports as I shall be working in the UK during the week. St Lo is probably about as far as we would go inland, as I believe that is just over an hour from Cherbourg. The Caen school could be very much of interest to us, so if you do find the name that would be really helpful.

Thanks for your advice... Mark
Hi Mark,
not sure what age your children are, but found this one in Caen
http://www.etab.ac-caen.fr/scoeur/
Also, look at http://www.fabert.com/
Although the web page is in french, it's pretty easy to follow
Val
Old May 7th 2007, 8:18 pm
MAS
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie
We are keen to be pretty close to one of the ports as I shall be working in the UK during the week. St Lo is probably about as far as we would go inland, as I believe that is just over an hour from Cherbourg. The Caen school could be very much of interest to us, so if you do find the name that would be really helpful

You will find most of these schools are catholic ones, wasn't a problem for our kids, even though we aren't catholic, but I know some English children find the discipline there takes a bit of getting used to. If you are going to be working in UK, you would probably be better off looking more towards Caen. We are only 40 mins south of Cherbourg, and I used to work in Portsmouth, catching the ferry across each week. However, since P&O stopped their sailing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, access to Cherbourg is very restricted, especially over winter, and also very expensive. You have more choice if you travelling to Caen, and it is closer to Le Havre, so you could consider using LD lines as well.
Down towards Avranche might also be an option as you have flights into Dinard and ferries into St Malo.
Hi Halifax harpie...

Thank you for the great advice about commuting weekly back to the UK. That is very helpful, as I hadn't realised the difficulties of taking the Cherbourg crossing.

The discipline in the Catholic schools won't be a problem for our kids either - they are used to it in their existing school and we see it as a real positive. Good point, though, for others where this may not be the case.

Thanks... Mark
Old May 7th 2007, 8:19 pm
MAS
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
Hi Mark,
not sure what age your children are, but found this one in Caen
http://www.etab.ac-caen.fr/scoeur/
Also, look at http://www.fabert.com/
Although the web page is in french, it's pretty easy to follow