Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

On Line Radio Station.

Wikiposts

On Line Radio Station.

Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On Line Radio Station.

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Ah, yes, I remember that stuff - can't remember what it's called but we used to use it before. Pete's quite nervous about the fosse - I like them having had one in France and one here in England (SO much cheaper on the rates) but I think I'll have to post a list up of DO's and DON'T's! Could call it Bog Use Tips & Tricks (or Butt for short!)
Heres what your looking for Andrea http://www.eparcyl.com/
However, some professionals don't recommend this product but everybody uses it. Otherwise you can also empty, once a month, 1kg of sugar via the toilets or even natural yoghurts that have gone well past there sell by date

dos & don'ts??

DONT put bleach down the toilets, and if your ill get your doctor to prescribe you something other than penecilin....

DO get it cleaned out by someone professionel. Before the local farmer could do it for you, but now its been regulated and you have to have it done professionally. The price would be around the 1000€ mark but that depends on the capacity of your tank and what has to be taken out!!

Cleaning is on average every 2 - 4 years depending again on the capacity of the tank and how many people there are living in the house

Last edited by le plumber; Apr 9th 2009 at 8:27 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:27 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by le plumber
Heres what your looking for Andrea http://www.eparcyl.com/;) Some professionals don't recommend this product but everybody uses it. Otherwise you can also empty 1kg of sugar via the toilets or even natural yoghurts that have gone well past there sell by date

dos & don'ts??

DONT put bleach down the toilets, and if your ill get your doctor to prescribe you something other than penecilin....

DO get it cleaned out by someone professionel. Before the local peasent farmer could do it for you, but now its been regulated and you have to have it done professionally. The price would be around the 1000€ marque but that depends on the capacity of your tank and what has to be taken out!!

Cleaning is on average every 2 - 4 years depending again on the capacity of the tank and how many people there are living in the house
1000 euros!!!! Jaysus,I pay 4 euros per fosse (I have 2) to be emptied by the local council.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:47 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Aha, good tips there le Plumber - thanks.

Cleri, that's very good value my sweet, saving you the dubious pleasure of getting in there and doing it yerself!

Luckily, I did ask when the fosse had last been emptied and I have a copy of the bill they paid to have it done in 2007, which is for 160 euros, so not too bad.

They hold no fear for me, but Pete has his doubts! Think he's worried it's on my list of jobs for him to do (It isn't - nor is sweeping the chimney as you need a certificate for that showing it's done professionally for insurance purposes).

Such a lot of stuff that could trip up newbies in France - I bet there will be stuff as well that has changed since I was last there that I have to brush up on. Luckily, we have already met one neighbour who is very helpful, so we won't be entirely in the dark.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
1000 euros!!!! Jaysus,I pay 4 euros per fosse (I have 2) to be emptied by the local council.
4 euros??!! impossible!! I can't think of anyone clearing out a tank of crap for a couple of quid!!

True in 2007 it was still possible to have it cleaned out by anybody but since the law change in october 2008 (I think) the price has gone up quite a bit. Your "waste" is usually taken to the waterworks where it is treated, the water is extracted, re-treated and put back into the system and the solids are separated & used by agriculteurs for fertilizer. 160euros is also very cheap and I doubt you'll find someone (legally) at that price. But its like everything you'll have to shop around a bit..........

Last edited by le plumber; Apr 9th 2009 at 9:31 am.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:41 am

4 euros??!! impossible!! I can't think of anyone clearing out a tank of crap for a couple of quid!!

True in 2007 it was still possible to have it cleaned out by anybody but since the law change in october 2008 (I think) the price has gone up quite a bit. Your "waste" is usually taken to the waterworks where it is treated, the water is extracted, re-treated and put back into the system and the solids are separated & used by agriculteurs for fertilizer. 160euros is also very cheap and I doubt you'll find someone (legally) at that price. But its like everything you'll have to shop around a bit..........
I live in Portugal,as Andi knows.....that's what I pay........don't rubbish my posts,thankyou!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:15 am
Banned

fred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nice

My wife changed Michelle's pampers a couple of days back but the kid hadn't quite finished. Another turd landed on the kitchen floor.
I have a photo on photobucket if you wish to see.

As any good husband should, I took a photo for my (slightly naughty) blog and shouted, "Sulis, there's a turd on the floor".
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:19 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if a 160 euros is cheap then ours is cheaper. We pay on average 89 euros to get a 12 cubic meter tank emptied. (A shit load of Crap) It's not the emptying it that costs like anything you buy here it's the Transit that costs the money and one pays by the cubic. Find a company that offers a better rate on movements (pardon the pun)
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cleri
I live in Portugal,as Andi knows.....that's what I pay........don't rubbish my posts,thankyou!
Don't worry Cleri, I wasn't rubbishing your posts just surprised at the price that there was someone out there who would do it for so little lol - I certainly wouldn't!!!

Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Well if a 160 euros is cheap then ours is cheaper. We pay on average 89 euros to get a 12 cubic meter tank emptied. (A shit load of Crap) It's not the emptying it that costs like anything you buy here it's the Transit that costs the money and one pays by the cubic. Find a company that offers a better rate on movements (pardon the pun)
True, but now its reglemented companies "agrées" charge what they like (unfortunately). Its a buisness, like everything nowadays..............
However, even if it is against regulations to have it done by the local farmer it doesn't harm to ask.
If theres one thing I've learnt in France, that is when you haven't got the right, just take the left........
Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:41 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Expect like everything even "shit shovelling" has gone up in price by now. Either inflation, deflation or flatulence or something - I never got them apart. Lukily it was a holiday home, so in one year it probably only got used intermittently which may mean in the 2 years since it was emptied it's not too full. But I'll get my head down there and have a good look when we arrive and see if I think it needs clearing out and make a decision then. I didn't smell anything when we were there, even standing right next to the assainissement so it could be ok.

I have put one in before at the other French place, so even if I have to replace it, that holds no fears for me either, and at least in Brittany hopefully, we won't dig down 12 inches and hit solid rock!

Basically, I was just relieved it wasn't like one of the other places we looked at in Dordogne near Belves, where the bloke very proudly showed it to me and it was UNDER THE BED .......
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:45 pm

Don't worry Cleri, I wasn't rubbishing your posts just surprised at the price that there was someone out there who would do it for so little lol - I certainly wouldn't!!!

It's the local council too!,even in the Algarve it's only about 30 euros.
We have to put up with alot in Port,so it's nice to know we are getting a bargain
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:37 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Expect like everything even "shit shovelling" has gone up in price by now. Either inflation, deflation or flatulence or something - I never got them apart. Lukily it was a holiday home, so in one year it probably only got used intermittently which may mean in the 2 years since it was emptied it's not too full. But I'll get my head down there and have a good look when we arrive and see if I think it needs clearing out and make a decision then. I didn't smell anything when we were there, even standing right next to the assainissement so it could be ok.

I have put one in before at the other French place, so even if I have to replace it, that holds no fears for me either, and at least in Brittany hopefully, we won't dig down 12 inches and hit solid rock!

Basically, I was just relieved it wasn't like one of the other places we looked at in Dordogne near Belves, where the bloke very proudly showed it to me and it was UNDER THE BED .......
12 inches I wish bloody rock is poking out the ground around here. Anyroad I have 9 Cubic meters of Ciment turning up after lunch, When you cant get through the rock admit defeat and build on top
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:08 am
Grey Bombshell

Good plan, make the Pyrenees even higher!