Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by Mollanfamily
We are a family moving from Essex (originally from Scotland, we moved down to Essex early 2014). We are me, mum a nurse, my husband who runs his own business, 4 children aged 12-5.
We are an adventurous family, only have one other close relative. We've travelled to Oz, NZ, all over Europe over the last 18 years. Our children are intelligent little things (sometimes called other things) who aren't afraid of change and know that home is where you feel at home.
We rent our house, we are not rich, not really interested in being rich, have enough to get by and travel which is most important to us.
We've all returned from our last trip to Normandy feeling that we were leaving home and friends behind instead of returning home to Essex. So we're looking into a move abroad. We'll be asking questions, lots of questions and also visiting and finding out for ourselves.
That's us
So what do you want to know?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Mollanfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an introduction thread, I'm just saying hi. I've posted questions in the main part.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Quite Mollanfamily.

This is a friendly intro thread to welcome new members.

You've done the right thing Mollanfamily in doing a small intro before going on to ask in the main forum.

So. Hi and welcome to British Expats from me. Hopefully our lovely French contingency will be able to help.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

cerishad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am currently in my last year of service with the Army and am looking to semi retire next year probably to the Northern area. I have roughly £80,000 to spend and am looking for a fixer upper with a bit of land to try and go as self sufficient as possible. If anyone else has any similar experiences I would love to hear your story.

Paul
Old Aug 27th 2015, 4:55 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cerishad
Hi,

I am currently in my last year of service with the Army and am looking to semi retire next year probably to the Northern area. I have roughly £80,000 to spend and am looking for a fixer upper with a bit of land to try and go as self sufficient as possible. If anyone else has any similar experiences I would love to hear your story.

Paul
In Normandy and Pays de la Loire £80k will serve you reasonably well not technically the north but a nice area, getting fixer uppers here has a learning curve as building plumbing and electrics are done differently here. Bringing in trades people in will double the cost as it's expensive to run a business here.

But start a thread in the main France section and plenty of folk will be able to help .....
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
well not technically the north but a nice area
Yes, wash your mouth out that man, most people in Normandy (well my bit anyway) and I think the PdL too consider themselves part of the Grand Ouest, though some PdL may consider themselves Centre, I don't know. It's a cultural thing. But I would definitely not call anywhere that isn't north of Ile de France, 'northern France'. Northern France means like Somme (80), Pas de Calais (62), Nord (59) - CH'TI-country.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ouest_fran%C3%A7ais versus https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%27ti

Lesson over, welcome to the forum
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:26 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Our original foray into France was to buy a small town house in 85, then sold as I had fixed it up a bit to a French lady. Bought detached house again in 85 close to beach. Your £80K ought to go a decent way, but the advice is good, bringing in artisans will bring a big bill. We are about an hour south of Nantes and hour north of La Rochelle; the Vendee is a lovely area with an active Brit community(s). Good luck and welcome.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
bringing in artisans will bring a big bill
It will, but on the other hand, selling a DIY renovation might be a bit steep on the capital gains tax. Plus, if you sell within ten years of finishing the work you might end up having to pay for sorting out any structural problems that become apparent within the 10 years, because of the obligatory 10-year guarantee. Swings and roundabouts really.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 11:08 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Agree ET, should have mentioned it. Difference between decorateive DIY and structural DIY and most definitely electrical DIY.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:58 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes, wash your mouth out that man, most people in Normandy (well my bit anyway) and I think the PdL too consider themselves part of the Grand Ouest, though some PdL may consider themselves Centre, I don't know. It's a cultural thing. But I would definitely not call anywhere that isn't north of Ile de France, 'northern France'. Northern France means like Somme (80), Pas de Calais (62), Nord (59) - CH'TI-country.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Ouest_fran%C3%A7ais versus https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%27ti

Lesson over, welcome to the forum
I know but for us it's north of where we were before and it will always remain north of the equator
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

glynguntrip93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i'm moving to Riberac around the 17th of November and am looking for work... i am a tree surgeon by trade and am just looking to meet new people and get some information on how to go about get tree work in the area as well as any private work. I'm not sure if iv posted this in the correct place as this is the first time i'v used the expat forum. Any feed back would be great. Thanks A lot Glyn
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynguntrip93
Hi, i'm moving to Riberac around the 17th of November and am looking for work... i am a tree surgeon by trade and am just looking to meet new people and get some information on how to go about get tree work in the area as well as any private work. I'm not sure if iv posted this in the correct place as this is the first time i'v used the expat forum. Any feed back would be great. Thanks A lot Glyn
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Post the same enquiry in the main part of the France forum below, clicking on "New Thread", otherwise it will get swallowed up by the following introduction.
I can already say that you would have to set up a business structure and take out proper professional insurance before you can work, but those more in the know will advise. I have to say that, in my area, there are plenty of French tree surgeons advertising their services, but you may have a better chance in an expat community (but never "on the black" due to the visible and dangerous nature of the work!).
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

glynguntrip93 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok cheers thanks alot for that im moving to a very english area so i think i have a good chance. yes of course though tree work without insurance can be real hairy as you said due to the danger of the work. Thanks for your help much apreciated
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

aust is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:58 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aust
Hello
Well, that was short and sweet, but in accordance with the Thread's title!
Wecome to the forum!
Post again in the main part of the forum (click on "New Thread") or respond to any of the on-going Threads, giving more info on yourself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.