Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:06 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by ChickenBorg
Hello everyone, just joined the forum as it looks likely that we will be making a move to Lyon from sunny Suffolk in the summer - I am off to search the other forum posts for ideas and information now!
Welcome to the forum
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Originally Posted by ChickenBorg
Hello everyone, just joined the forum as it looks likely that we will be making a move to Lyon from sunny Suffolk in the summer - I am off to search the other forum posts for ideas and information now!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
There are a good few members in the Lyon area, so come back with any local questions as a "New Thread" in the forum below, and the rest of us can also advise on "national" questions, e.g. healthcare coverage, setting up a business, education, etc... Questions in this Introduction Thread tend to get swallowed up by the following posts...
Welcome once again!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:59 am
Having a blonde moment

Britjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of lightBritjo67 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello folks

I'm Jo, and although I was a member of the forum years ago when we contemplated moving to Canada, our movements changed and I'm back again with a new focus.

Next month, with my husband Alan, we will be completing a purchase of a townhouse in Hesdin in Nord Pas De Calais. Initially it will be a holiday home for us, but eventually I hope to be able to spend most, if not all of our time there. We can't really contemplate moving there full time due to various issues, including our kids, one of whom is in her first year at uni, and the other will be starting his university life this coming September. Until they are settled in whatever and wherever they choose, we're going to just use our French house as a weekend bolt-hole, close enough to Calais to nip across when we like (although we live in the Midlands so still have a three hour drive to the tunnel )

It seems like most people on the forum tend to move further south, presumably for the warm weather.

Anyway, I just thought I would say hi, and I look forward to getting to know you.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:19 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo - welcome, again. There's more Brits up your way than you may imagine. There's lots of good info here via the Search facility and some excellent posters who know a lot more than I.
I'm still with the Forum although relocated back to UK last year. Although back in France staert of March for few weeks. Few miles south of Brum in Upton, but get to Brum for meet-ups with friends and former colleagues. PM me if you want to chat off-forum.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently spending 10 weeks in Collioure near Perpignan but usually in London and Suffolk
Oldmamma is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Greetings from rainy Collioure. I am a mother of 2 young kids (5 months and 2.5 years old) and we are staying here until the end of March. We decided to try and avoid the horrible London winter of last year and spent 10 weeks in Barbados before Christmas, then Christmas and New Year in Suffolk reminding ourselves how miserable it is, and drove down to Collioure over 3 days in early January. So far, we are enjoying the quietness, the Catalan food, the lack of traffic...and the weather is generally better than London most days too. I would love to hear from other people who are in the area - we have never been to this part of France before and are open to all suggestions on places to go and things to do! So far, we have spent several afternoons in Perpignan having lunch, going to the Royal Kids play area, and swimming at Moulins au Vent. Although our French is very rudimentary, my husband Jon and I both try to communicate as well as we can but we both need to practice. We will also venture down to Barcelona sometime soon which is one of my favourite cities. RSVP! Helen
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:32 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oldmamma
Greetings from rainy Collioure. I am a mother of 2 young kids (5 months and 2.5 years old) and we are staying here until the end of March. We decided to try and avoid the horrible London winter of last year and spent 10 weeks in Barbados before Christmas, then Christmas and New Year in Suffolk reminding ourselves how miserable it is, and drove down to Collioure over 3 days in early January. So far, we are enjoying the quietness, the Catalan food, the lack of traffic...and the weather is generally better than London most days too. I would love to hear from other people who are in the area - we have never been to this part of France before and are open to all suggestions on places to go and things to do! So far, we have spent several afternoons in Perpignan having lunch, going to the Royal Kids play area, and swimming at Moulins au Vent. Although our French is very rudimentary, my husband Jon and I both try to communicate as well as we can but we both need to practice. We will also venture down to Barcelona sometime soon which is one of my favourite cities. RSVP! Helen
Welcome to the Forum, Collioure and the surrounding area is very different in the summer the traffic can be a nightmare as it becomes one of France's busiest areas. A short trip in to Spain will get you to 3 Salvador Dali museum locations the museum in Figueres there is his house in Portlligat but you need to book in advance and switch your flash off and there is the Gala Dalí Castle in Púbol any way they are a short trip from Collioure via the a9 direction Barcelona from Collioure you head towards Le Boulou to join it.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:21 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oldmamma
Your younger child will be a bit young to appreciate it, but the older one should enjoy a trip to the Sigean Zoological Park, just south of Narbonne. According to posters, it's open all year. Have fun!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Location: Currently spending 10 weeks in Collioure near Perpignan but usually in London and Suffolk

Thanks so much. I think our older boy would love Dali!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Your younger child will be a bit young to appreciate it, but the older one should enjoy a trip to the Sigean Zoological Park, just south of Narbonne. According to posters, it's open all year. Have fun!
Thanks for the Zoological suggestion - my husband also had just found it and we will definitely explore there!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Allia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone!
I have just landed (litterally!) in Marseille and am still feeling a little lost
Anyone else around this area? Any meetups here?
Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:24 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by Allia
Hi Everyone!
I have just landed (litterally!) in Marseille and am still feeling a little lost
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allia
Hi Everyone!
Thanks
Hi Allia,

I'm not in France (I'm in the US) but I wanted to swing on by and welcome you to BE. I hope you enjoy being part of the community and if you get stuck on anything please give me a shout.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

nextchapter2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi All,
New here today to make preliminary enquiries as to the pros and cons of moving to France with teenagers in toe..
My main concern, as for quite a few, is my kids. Twin boys that will be 16/17 by the time we are ready to move, summer 2015.
So my questions are:
Do they have to stay in education? (In UK it's 18 now)
What would be the French equivalent of college/A levels?
Can they study in English?
How do the French feel about employing Brits?

Hubby is early retirement, we don't intend to look for jobs. We will be speaking basic French. Dreaming of living in semi rural village/town, not to far from a city, area prefered would be Charente. Anyone with similar experience already made the jump?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:23 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by nextchapter2
Hi All,
New here today to make preliminary enquiries as to the pros and cons of moving to France with teenagers in toe..
My main concern, as for quite a few, is my kids. Twin boys that will be 16/17 by the time we are ready to move, summer 2015.
So my questions are:
Do they have to stay in education? (In UK it's 18 now)
What would be the French equivalent of college/A levels?
Can they study in English?
How do the French feel about employing Brits?

Hubby is early retirement, we don't intend to look for jobs. We will be speaking basic French. Dreaming of living in semi rural village/town, not to far from a city, area prefered would be Charente. Anyone with similar experience already made the jump?
Welcome to the forum, How is the "Boys" French going to be? as if they came with little or no French they would probably go back a year at least anyway. My son is informing me he is stuck in college "Secondary School" until he is 18.

Fyi College in the UK is Lycée here and Collège here is secondary school in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

nextchapter2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply, Chatter Static,

That would really be a problem for my boys, not the academic variety! I think I will take this essential knowledge and may be rethink France when the boys are older.
As much as hub and I would adapt to French retirement, it's a different kettle of fish asking 16 yr olds to start their new life on the wrong foot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.