Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction :) - A move to France :)

Introduction :) - A move to France :)

Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

KatCzeks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introduction :) - A move to France :)

Hello, Bonjour

My name is Kathryn and I will be moving to the South of France around July this year with my husband and (just turned) 2 year old boy from, Cardiff in Wales. We've just been told we'll be moving to the Toulouse region with my husbands work and will be looking to rent a 3/4 house.

I have many, many questions and hoped a few people could help me make sense of it all!

I'm quite anxious that I have a lot to do in the next 3 or so months. If it's ok I shall list a few questions below but if they're in the wrong place then please let me know where they will be better suited on the forum. I'm new to this sort of thing so please bear with me!

I appreciate any help that are able to give and I look forward to communicating with many of you over the coming months!

Thanks,
Kat

- Where is the best place to live in the Toulouse/Colomiers region and which places should we avoid? House prices aren't of huge importance but we'd like space for our son and to be close to all the amenities.

- Are there any good links to property rental websites that I should try? I've tried immostreet but there's not a lot on there.

- Should we pay to move with ALL our belongings or put them in storage here and rent fully furnished? We're looking at around £4000 for a full house direct move and it could only be for 2/3 years.

- What do we have to do in terms of Health Care - Drs, Dentist etc?

- Where do we go to get a phoneline/internet etc

- Can we get Sky there? (Silly question maybe, but I honestly have no idea and it would be great if I can still watch my favourite TV hehe)

- I'm self employed so what do I do about closing down my business that I wish to continue upon our return home. Can I take a sabbatical? Will the tax man expect me to do my tax returns for the previous year from France?

- Where are the best places to learn French?

- What is there to do with a 2 year old? Here for example, we have a huge indoor soft play, when it's nice we go to the park or a farm park, we have free libraries etc. We would like to do the same things but would welcome new types of play.

I'm sure there's more but I've got writers block! Thanks in advance for your help! x
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction :) - A move to France :)

Hi, exciting times!

I'll pick out a couple of easy ones to answer

- Are there any good links to property rental websites that I should try? I've tried immostreet but there's not a lot on there.
try leboncoin.fr

- What do we have to do in terms of Health Care - Drs, Dentist etc?
Your husband's employer will sort healthcare out. You need to register with a doctor, and, because the French state healthcare system only funds around 70 per cent of the cost of healthcare, many people opt to take out a private topup policy to cover some or all of the remaining 30 per cent - but that's entirely your choice.

- I'm self employed so what do I do about closing down my business that I wish to continue upon our return home. Can I take a sabbatical? Will the tax man expect me to do my tax returns for the previous year from France?
You'll need to do a tax return up to the date when you leave the UK, when the time comes - so you'll file your return before the end of the year for the period up to 3 April, and if you work after 3 April 2014 you'll need to file a return for 2014-15 at the end of 2015. You can probably leave the business dormant until you come back, but it would be best explain to the taxman what you're doing, and they'll tell you what your options are.
Speaking from experience, whenever you do something outside the box it's always best to keep HMRC in the loop. Even if they don't respond, at least you will have asked, and if it does turn out you did it wrong you can show them that you did try to find out the correct answer!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome
There have been many people in your situation i.e. moving to Toulouse.
You can search the word Toulouse in the search box at the France index page [ top right ].
What support package does your OH's employers provide?
Do they provide assistance in getting established?
Do they provide French lessons?
Have they moved employees before? If so then they may have a set procedure to help you.
If your OH is paid in France and pays French social payments then you will all be covered.
If he is paid in the UK then he will be covered by the UK.
Most accommodation in France is unfurnished.
You do not need to close your business, just make it non-trading until you return, your accountant will keep you right.
Good luck with your move
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

KatCzeks is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow thanks for your help both!

I'm not sure about healthcare - there's been no mention of it so far and this is not a typical job with a typical employer. I very much hope they do though and they cover all 3 of us.
Thank you for the information about the tax returns. Will get to them soon then!

So far there has been no mention of any relocation package, French lessons etc but I will check that out. He will be paid in France though and I expect will pay a fair amount of tax.
Unfortunately my accountant moved to Dubai in February so I need to a new one!

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatCzeks
I'm not sure about healthcare - there's been no mention of it so far and this is not a typical job with a typical employer. I very much hope they do though and they cover all 3 of us.
Unless there are special circumstances, an employer who employs you to work in France has no legal option other than to pay social security contributions in one country or the other, so that you are provided with healthcare. It may be a non-typical job, but there are parameters that have to be respected and responsibilities that employers cannot opt out of - one can't just make up rules to suit oneself.

For instance, if the employer is UK based and is sending you away on temporary secondment, your husband will be classed as a cross-border worker, will continue paying UK NICs and your employer must apply to HMRC for a form S1 which will mean that the family can register for healthcare in France, and it will be funded by the UK.

Otherwise, your employer would normally be required to employ you on a French employment contract and pay French social security contributions for you.

There are exceptions, but these exceptions are clearly defined (airline pilots, offshore workers etc). EU legislation is quite precise on the details of how cross-border healthcare works in each set of circumstances, and France is more inflexible than most countries when it comes to applying the rules.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Mar 14th 2014 at 9:16 am.