Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Importing new Motorcycle into France

Importing new Motorcycle into France

Old Aug 12th 2012, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

NortonNut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing new Motorcycle into France

Does anyone have a Certificate of Conformity for a motorcycle that they would let me look at as I have a newly built Norton Commando 850cc just waiting to be imported into France. This is a 1977 model, built to modern specs and the small manufacturing company who have built it do not know the requirements for a C of C. If I could copy the requirements I can then forward them onto the manufacturer. Or if anyone has had a similar problem and can let me know how they resolved it I'd be much obliged.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:32 am
Just Joined

frogteach has a spectacular aura aboutfrogteach has a spectacular aura aboutfrogteach has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Importing new Motorcycle into France

Hi,
Honestly, the best bet would be to get your Certificate in the UK, and then, when you move it to France, you'll just have to have it registered at the "Prefecture". Remember that all vehicles certified in the EU are deemed compliant. Why bother with a long and complicated procedure in France? Here's the the link you need in France anyhow, http://www.developpement-durable.gou...e-des-21-DREAL (a list of the regional offices in charge of vehicle certifications, amongst other things).
Regards from a French motorcycle driver- not a biker ;-)
Ian
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:01 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NortonNut
Does anyone have a Certificate of Conformity for a motorcycle that they would let me look at as I have a newly built Norton Commando 850cc just waiting to be imported into France. This is a 1977 model, built to modern specs and the small manufacturing company who have built it do not know the requirements for a C of C. If I could copy the requirements I can then forward them onto the manufacturer. Or if anyone has had a similar problem and can let me know how they resolved it I'd be much obliged.
Remember, as and when you obtain a CoC in UK (agree that's the best and likely only route), when you seek to register in France the original CoC is requested and retained and you get the Carte Grise. Suggest you ensure you have photocopy and try to hand that over, but they may insist; either way take a copy(s).
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

As you are essentially talking about the two wheeled equivalent of a kit car, and we all know how impossible it is to register them, I can only wish you the very best of luck in getting it registered in France !
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:21 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
As you are essentially talking about the two wheeled equivalent of a kit car, and we all know how impossible it is to register them, I can only wish you the very best of luck in getting it registered in France !
Wow, if that's the case. New ball game. UK V5 not an issue, but parts from everywhere, I built a Ford based kit many moons back, two seater, used an old engine from 105E Anglia - stop it, you pathetic numbskull .... don't get me started ... then stop - twin Weber 40 DCO's .... stop now you dipstick. Okay.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

This is a properly manufactured motorcycle, a 1977 Norton Commando Electric start 850cc Roadster, rebuilt to modern specs. by Norvil Motorcycle Comp. England, and all I'm looking for is a copy of a C of C.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:56 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

This is a properly manufactured motorcycle, a 1977 Norton Commando Electric start 850cc Roadster, rebuilt to modern specs. by Norvil Motorcycle Comp. England, and all I'm looking for is a copy of a C of C.
Apologies NortonNut, we can get sidetracked sometimes. Stuff on-line suggests you speak with the Norton Vintage Owners Club. It has to be approved as being of the marque. There is stuff about replica and reconstructed, but perhaps you have tried here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/DG_191158
Old Aug 14th 2012, 5:36 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

If it still has the original log book with the 1977 Manufacture/first registration date then your not likely to get a COC for it but all is not lost as it would qualify to go on to a Collection Carte Grise here you need to sift through this site FFVE as they would give you an exemption certificate due to the bikes age.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear, I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this......it's a NEW bike, a COPY of a 1977 model. has anyone a C of C I can look at ???????
I'm only the wife trying to do the best for my other half so he can get his bike over here and get out from under my feet !!!!

Last edited by NortonNut; Aug 14th 2012 at 7:12 pm. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Properly manufactured or not if the machine has not been homologated in UK and received European approval then you ain't going to get one, that is why you are receiving blank looks from the manufacturer.

Even though it may have be manufactured from parts built to a 1977 spec it's the date of first registration which counts and as it is a new bike that date is whenever you bought and UK registered it.

Had it been built using a 1977 bike as a base, and this first registration date were reflected on the current V5, then you might be in with a chance but obviousy that is not the case here.

As for the FFVE You should understand that they are not simply a back door conduit for registering every oddball or one off vehicle simply because it's 30 years old !

The fact that the FFVE are able to issue attestation for 30 year old + vehicles for which a CoC's are not available at all is a concession from the French government and any abuse of that privilege could put it in jeopardy so they are rightfully circumspect in what the pass.

All of which is irrelevant anyway as it's not a 30 year old bike.

Never mind regretting starting the thread, I think your OH may end up regretting buying the bike.

Finally there is little point in asking for a copy of someone else's CoC as it won't help really you in the slightest.

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Aug 14th 2012 at 7:22 pm.