Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Taxing Question!

Taxing Question!

Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice
Default Taxing Question!

I have a funny but serious question! I have all my investments in the UK but have not been resident for six years so receive gross income. My only house and residence is in France and I paid French tax for a number of years.

However, I'm now working in Russia for eight months of the year, returning to France for the remainder.
When I went to the French Tax Office to declare last year's income, they were not interested, told me that they did not want me to fill in a tax form as I was deemed no longer "Tax Resident". I asked where I should pay my tax! They shrugged their shoulders in the usual French way!
So, any suggestions would be welcome!
Vanya
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxing Question!

Russia???
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Yes, Comrade - Russia!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vanya
When I went to the French Tax Office to declare last year's income, they were not interested, told me that they did not want me to fill in a tax form as I was deemed no longer "Tax Resident". I asked where I should pay my tax! They shrugged their shoulders in the usual French way!
So, any suggestions would be welcome!
Get it in writing !
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

I have, don't worry. But the French honour their word, unlike certain other people!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Also, I think they have no methods for dealing with the Russia tax administration. So, maybe I'll have a small celebration as long as my stocks hold up.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:01 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I have, don't worry. But the French honour their word, unlike certain other people!
iBeg to differ,
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

That's a sweeping generalisation!
My last French landlord was one of the most dishonourable persons I've ever had the misfortune to meet. A real B****rd!
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Do you need a minder?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Do you mean, do I need a minder? Maybe!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Not sure where to put this question.

Do you think I should have filled in a UK tax return this year. Even though I have no savings or investments in the UK and we pay our tax here in France?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

No.

For what purpose ?

EDIT: Do you receive an pensions from UK ?

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Aug 13th 2012 at 1:26 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
No.

For what purpose ?

EDIT: Do you receive an pensions from UK ?
Phew, that's exactly what I thought.

No we get no income from the UK. My wife has some shares that generate about £200 a year (not quite enough to retire yet) that we included in our French tax submission. And we have a current account in the UK. I have a pension fund but am not drawing on it yet.

I would like to keep my NI payment up to date, I have about 20 years and I think I need 5 more. I might write to them and ask about that.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
I would like to keep my NI payment up to date, I have about 20 years and I think I need 5 more. I might write to them and ask about that.
Hi, as you are paying into the French System (I've forgotten your business status), your years in the UK will be taken into account when you start applying for your French Pension, and you'll eventually receive pro rata Pensions from the UK and France. (That's how it worked for me, anyway!).
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loy loy
You cannot make voluntary routine NI payments to top up your pension entitlement but what you can do however is buy back up to 6 years on a lump sum basis, currently I believe the cost is £689 per year.

[url]http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@shared/documents/digitalasset/dg_180387.pdf[url]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.