Reload this Page >

I am, quite possibly, insane.

I am, quite possibly, insane.

Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:00 am
Just Joined

TheSioux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am, quite possibly, insane.

Hi, I am new to this board.

I am planning on moving to France with my partner who is a French citizen.

Now, I know I will need a Long stay Visa and I have an interview for it at the French consulate in london.

Unfortunately, the consulate is not very helpful in telling me what documents I will need for the interview. Can anyone shed some light?

Also, I have heard that I will need a "stamp of residency" on my passport. How do I get one?

Any other advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:09 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I am, quite possibly, insane.

Originally Posted by TheSioux
Hi, I am new to this board.

I am planning on moving to France with my partner who is a French citizen.

Now, I know I will need a Long stay Visa and I have an interview for it at the French consulate in london.

Unfortunately, the consulate is not very helpful in telling me what documents I will need for the interview. Can anyone shed some light?

Also, I have heard that I will need a "stamp of residency" on my passport. How do I get one?

Any other advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello and welcome

No, you're not insane! Moving to France is a wonderful experience, and you have a great advantage over most of us, in that you have a french partner. I presume you are not British or European because we certainly needed no Long Stay Visa, we just upped and moved. If you can say where you are from it would help people give some specific answers for you.

In the meantime, start practising your french as often as you can!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Hello and welcome

No, you're not insane! Moving to France is a wonderful experience, and you have a great advantage over most of us, in that you have a french partner. I presume you are not British or European because we certainly needed no Long Stay Visa, we just upped and moved. If you can say where you are from it would help people give some specific answers for you.

In the meantime, start practising your french as often as you can!
Beaten to it......as it depends where you are from ( USA / Europe?) in relation to Visa.
Luckily things (should you marry and are outside the EU) it will be easier being married to a French citizen. One thing for sure is start learning French, even just a litle as soon as you can. You will find that you will be accepted and encouraged by all you come into contact with.

Last edited by themoose; Feb 1st 2008 at 3:46 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Hehe! Sorry, I should have given more information.

I am british with british parents and grandparents. I have lived in the UK all of my life.

My partner is French with the same heritage. We are not married. But she is. (!)

So, I wont need to bother with a Visa? Just up and go?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe! Sorry, I should have given more information.

I am british with british parents and grandparents. I have lived in the UK all of my life.

My partner is French with the same heritage. We are not married. But she is. (!)

So, I wont need to bother with a Visa? Just up and go?
Yes of course you are insane .... anyone who has lived in one country all their life (like me also) that decides to up and go to another country with a different language has to be slightly off the mark
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:44 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes of course you are insane .... anyone who has lived in one country all their life (like me also) that decides to up and go to another country with a different language has to be slightly off the mark
Yeah buts its fun Mitzyboy

Goodluck.TheSioux,jump in the waters fine
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher
Yeah buts its fun Mitzyboy

Goodluck.TheSioux,jump in the waters fine
It is after the initial baptism of fire
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

So, being a UK citizen, I really wont need a Visa to live and work, long term, In France?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

So, being a UK citizen, I really wont need a Visa to live and work, long term, In France?
no you wont. As UK citizen you will have no problems.
It might be worth applying for a carte de sejour from your local prefecture when you arrive though. Some are reluctant to issue them, but you can demand one - just helps with ID, proof of when you arrived in France etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
no you wont. As UK citizen you will have no problems.
It might be worth applying for a carte de sejour from your local prefecture when you arrive though. Some are reluctant to issue them, but you can demand one - just helps with ID, proof of when you arrived in France etc.
Ahhh, yes. I have heard of those. It is like a work permit, is that correct?

Now, the local prefecture. How would I find that?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Ahhh, yes. I have heard of those. It is like a work permit, is that correct?

Now, the local prefecture. How would I find that?
Here you go

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/section...tre_prefecture

Just click on where you are located/will be located on the map. The Prefecture's address nearest you and details should be there

Good luck,

Jen
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

That's fantastic, guys.

Thanks very much!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:14 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

All this helpful information doesn't mean that you aren't, possibly, quite insane...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by treskillard
All this helpful information doesn't mean that you aren't, possibly, quite insane...
Yes, I probably am! Hehehehehe!

What sort of documents will I need for the carte de sejour? Passport? Proof of arrival?

Is the carte de sejour necessary for me to work or study?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I probably am! Hehehehehe!

What sort of documents will I need for the carte de sejour? Passport? Proof of arrival?

Is the carte de sejour necessary for me to work or study?
You should fit in well with the rest of the residents of the mad house then
You don't need your carte de sejour to work or study in France if you are UK citizen. In fact you might find some prefectures are reluctant to issue one. Have found though that it's a handy document to have, especially as it proves when you moved to France and saves you having to carry your passport around with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.