British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   I am, quite possibly, insane. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/i-am-quite-possibly-insane-510934/)

TheSioux Feb 1st 2008 2:00 am

I am, quite possibly, insane.

Hi, I am new to this board.

I am planning on moving to France with my partner who is a French citizen.

Now, I know I will need a Long stay Visa and I have an interview for it at the French consulate in london.

Unfortunately, the consulate is not very helpful in telling me what documents I will need for the interview. Can anyone shed some light?

Also, I have heard that I will need a "stamp of residency" on my passport. How do I get one?

Any other advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.

Jazzy n Lol Feb 1st 2008 3:09 am

Re: I am, quite possibly, insane.

Originally Posted by TheSioux (Post 5869606)
Hi, I am new to this board.

I am planning on moving to France with my partner who is a French citizen.

Now, I know I will need a Long stay Visa and I have an interview for it at the French consulate in london.

Unfortunately, the consulate is not very helpful in telling me what documents I will need for the interview. Can anyone shed some light?

Also, I have heard that I will need a "stamp of residency" on my passport. How do I get one?

Any other advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello and welcome :)

No, you're not insane! Moving to France is a wonderful experience, and you have a great advantage over most of us, in that you have a french partner. I presume you are not British or European because we certainly needed no Long Stay Visa, we just upped and moved. If you can say where you are from it would help people give some specific answers for you.

In the meantime, start practising your french as often as you can!

themoose Feb 1st 2008 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol (Post 5869884)
Hello and welcome :)

No, you're not insane! Moving to France is a wonderful experience, and you have a great advantage over most of us, in that you have a french partner. I presume you are not British or European because we certainly needed no Long Stay Visa, we just upped and moved. If you can say where you are from it would help people give some specific answers for you.

In the meantime, start practising your french as often as you can!

Beaten to it......as it depends where you are from ( USA / Europe?) in relation to Visa.
Luckily things (should you marry and are outside the EU) it will be easier being married to a French citizen. One thing for sure is start learning French, even just a litle as soon as you can. You will find that you will be accepted and encouraged by all you come into contact with.

TheSioux Feb 1st 2008 10:21 pm

Hehe! Sorry, I should have given more information.

I am british with british parents and grandparents. I have lived in the UK all of my life.

My partner is French with the same heritage. We are not married. But she is. (!)

So, I wont need to bother with a Visa? Just up and go?

Mitzyboy Feb 1st 2008 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by TheSioux (Post 5873078)
Hehe! Sorry, I should have given more information.

I am british with british parents and grandparents. I have lived in the UK all of my life.

My partner is French with the same heritage. We are not married. But she is. (!)

So, I wont need to bother with a Visa? Just up and go?

Yes of course you are insane .... anyone who has lived in one country all their life (like me also) that decides to up and go to another country with a different language has to be slightly off the mark :lol:

dreamcatcher Feb 1st 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 5873142)
Yes of course you are insane .... anyone who has lived in one country all their life (like me also) that decides to up and go to another country with a different language has to be slightly off the mark :lol:

Yeah buts its fun Mitzyboy:lol:

Goodluck.TheSioux,jump in the waters fine:D

Mitzyboy Feb 1st 2008 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher (Post 5873155)
Yeah buts its fun Mitzyboy:lol:

Goodluck.TheSioux,jump in the waters fine:D

It is after the initial baptism of fire ;):)

TheSioux Feb 1st 2008 11:46 pm

So, being a UK citizen, I really wont need a Visa to live and work, long term, In France?

val50 Feb 1st 2008 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheSioux (Post 5873318)
So, being a UK citizen, I really wont need a Visa to live and work, long term, In France?

no you wont. As UK citizen you will have no problems.
It might be worth applying for a carte de sejour from your local prefecture when you arrive though. Some are reluctant to issue them, but you can demand one - just helps with ID, proof of when you arrived in France etc.

TheSioux Feb 2nd 2008 12:04 am

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 5873338)
no you wont. As UK citizen you will have no problems.
It might be worth applying for a carte de sejour from your local prefecture when you arrive though. Some are reluctant to issue them, but you can demand one - just helps with ID, proof of when you arrived in France etc.

Ahhh, yes. I have heard of those. It is like a work permit, is that correct?

Now, the local prefecture. How would I find that?

urbanproject Feb 2nd 2008 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by TheSioux (Post 5873356)
Ahhh, yes. I have heard of those. It is like a work permit, is that correct?

Now, the local prefecture. How would I find that?

Here you go :)

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/section...tre_prefecture

Just click on where you are located/will be located on the map. The Prefecture's address nearest you and details should be there

Good luck,

Jen :thumbup:

TheSioux Feb 2nd 2008 9:39 pm

That's fantastic, guys.

Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

treskillard Feb 3rd 2008 6:14 am

All this helpful information doesn't mean that you aren't, possibly, quite insane...

TheSioux Feb 3rd 2008 7:43 am

Originally Posted by treskillard (Post 5878913)
All this helpful information doesn't mean that you aren't, possibly, quite insane...

Yes, I probably am! Hehehehehe!

What sort of documents will I need for the carte de sejour? Passport? Proof of arrival?

Is the carte de sejour necessary for me to work or study?

val50 Feb 3rd 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TheSioux (Post 5879254)
Yes, I probably am! Hehehehehe!

What sort of documents will I need for the carte de sejour? Passport? Proof of arrival?

Is the carte de sejour necessary for me to work or study?

You should fit in well with the rest of the residents of the mad house then:rofl:
You don't need your carte de sejour to work or study in France if you are UK citizen. In fact you might find some prefectures are reluctant to issue one. Have found though that it's a handy document to have, especially as it proves when you moved to France and saves you having to carry your passport around with you.