Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

HSBC expat banking

HSBC expat banking

Old Feb 9th 2023, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC expat banking

Success at last. Our new joint NS&I account is finally up and running.

I did a small transfer from our UK bank last night and it went through pretty much straightaway. We received an email from NS&I, confirming they'd received it.

The delay in opening the account was all down to the fact that it's a joint account. The second account holder has to submit their application documents by post for some reason. And our postal service barely seems to be functioning.

The digital side of things seems to work OK, though. No problem receiving codes via our French landline. They answer the phone fairly quickly, if you use the dedicated number for overseas customers (+44 1772 329880).

They've just released a new 3-year Green Bond which pays 4.2% interest, if anyone's interested. It you took it out now, and it matured in 2026, you wouldn't have to declare the interest until you were doing your French tax return in May 2027.

Old Feb 9th 2023, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

That just might be worth a consider - thanks!
However, I’ve just written to them to close my account as I hadn’t used it for so long - and the scare stories of needing to declare all account to French - I’ve had rather a lot of accounts over the years and worry I am going to miss some in my tidy up!
I couldn’t close online - they told me (phonecall) the unused account stays open for 6 years unless. I send them a snail-mail requesting closure.

Last edited by bazzer70; Feb 9th 2023 at 9:30 am.
Old Feb 9th 2023, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

They did receive and act fairly promptly on anything we sent them by snail mail (registered letter) so just write and ask them to close the account. Hopefully they'll oblige.
Where we've had delays is in receiving mail sent from the UK to France.
Old Feb 10th 2023, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Success at last.

They've just released a new 3-year Green Bond which pays 4.2% interest, if anyone's interested. It you took it out now, and it matured in 2026, you wouldn't have to declare the interest until you were doing your French tax return in May 2027.
Just a thought - surely the interest is actually paid annually so you would therefore have to declare it in that year - maybe it’s paid on maturity?
Old Feb 10th 2023, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I don’t think you get the interest until the 3 years are up.
Old Feb 14th 2023, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Mainly for Helen again….
hsbc Uk now opened as well as HSBC international- a bit fiddly but now have those 2 accounts linked and can see them both on either website or app - instant free seamless transfers between each - most impressed. I have also opened a “global” money account linked to all that - not too sure of the advantages yet.
had a zoom call with Skipton International yesterday to confirm my id - hopefully get account number tomorrow- they’re still offering 4.3% on 2 yr fixed.
I’ll let you know how that goes too
Old Feb 14th 2023, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Super, thanks.
Our NS&I is up and running but my husband can't use it yet because he still hasn't received his NS&I number and password, which have been sent via the post. It's currently taking 3 weeks for us to receive mail from the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

At long last my husband received a password yesterday from NS&I. So we can now both access the joint account.
It’s taken around 4 months to get to this point.

Just as I was about to break open the champagne, a colleague helpfully pointed out that, given the prélèvements sociaux that will be levied by the French on any interest paid, I could have saved myself a lot of hassle and just stuffed the money under the mattress.

On another subject, no paper version of the Connexion tax guide this year? Just a digital one?