Reload this Page >

UK Ltd Dividend income

UK Ltd Dividend income

Old Apr 12th 2023, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Absurdist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Ltd Dividend income

Hi all,
I've been looking all over for clear information on UK dividend income and French taxation but it seems to exist in a black hole.

​​​​​​I'm about to file my first tax return here in France for 2022 (arrived here December 2021). My primary source of income for now are dividends from a UK Ltd. I've paid tax on the last UK tax year (2021/22).

I guess my question is if anyone knows where tax liability lies between the two countries for dividends?

From the little I've found (and hopefully understood), the UK has primary taxation rights to said income, but France can claim any excess amount up to their tax threshold. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Any resources people have found that cover this topic would be very much appreciated too.

Many thanks in advance!
​​​​​
Old Apr 12th 2023, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Ltd Dividend income

Have you tried the Connexion magazine tax guide for 2023? I’ve just bought it.

Pretty sure it provides guidance on how to declare UK income from dividends.
Old Apr 13th 2023, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could get the answer from the horses mouth about how and where you need to declare this income on the french tax form by going along to your local tax office You will find them really helpful totally unlike HMRC
Old Apr 14th 2023, 6:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Absurdist
Hi all,
I've been looking all over for clear information on UK dividend income and French taxation but it seems to exist in a black hole.

​​​​​​I'm about to file my first tax return here in France for 2022 (arrived here December 2021). My primary source of income for now are dividends from a UK Ltd. I've paid tax on the last UK tax year (2021/22).

I guess my question is if anyone knows where tax liability lies between the two countries for dividends?

From the little I've found (and hopefully understood), the UK has primary taxation rights to said income, but France can claim any excess amount up to their tax threshold. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Any resources people have found that cover this topic would be very much appreciated too.

Many thanks in advance!
​​​​​
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
As you're "about to file" your first tax return, you must have acquired the paper forms already. As suggested, return to your Tax Office and ask where to enter the figures. If you'd like to make sure that everything has been filled in correctly, you'll probably have to make an appointment. The service is free. Whichever Département you live in, you've got plenty of time.....( I did this the year following OH's death, as I couldn't cope with doing two separate Déclarations, and have got the Financial Adviser at my Bank to do it for me ever since (for free), as I can't cope with doing it on-line on my own.)
HTH