Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How long to wait before applying for a visa

How long to wait before applying for a visa

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to wait before applying for a visa

Of course she would be covered if the contributions to URSSAF were being paid but the implication was that as an au pair you just get a CV anyway or perhaps I am misunderstanding what the OP said
At the end of the day it is sad that you have a young person who wants to work in France can speak French and would no doubt make a real go of it and broaden her horizons being thwarted because of the actions of xenophobes in the UK voting for Brexit
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Of course she would be covered if the contributions to URSSAF were being paid but the implication was that as an au pair you just get a CV anyway or perhaps I am misunderstanding what the OP said
At the end of the day it is sad that you have a young person who wants to work in France can speak French and would no doubt make a real go of it and broaden her horizons being thwarted because of the actions of xenophobes in the UK voting for Brexit
OK I get you now. I thought you were saying we had overlooked something. I think she has understood that she needs to be registered as an employee with URSSAF in order to be entitled to to healthcare and social security.
Very very sad.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 11:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ETwenthome
I think the idea is to try and register as of now and hope it gets by. The big one is the Catch 2 will be whether URSSAF will agree to waive the CdS/work permit requirement and allow the OP to be embauched, which I guess depends how hardline their regional URSSAF is and also maybe on the OP and her hosts' powers of persuasion. It appears France is being generous and tolerant on the whole, so if she can get registered as an employee and get a sécu number there is a fair chance that the préfecture won't look too closely at the dates. But the sooner they start the process the better because the deadline won't be stretched indefinitely and Feb going on March is already quite a stretch.

To clarify, you can't apply for the CdS directly at the prefecture, applications can only be made online. My concern was that the URSSAF web portal where you declare new employees, may not allow an employer to declare a TCN without some evidence of the right to work in France. It's a bit of a catch22 - you need a CdS to show you have the right to work, and you need to show you are working to get a CdS.
- France, maybe, but I've never noticed that l'URSSAF is either generous or tolerant. "Hardline" would be my chosen adjective, and the success of the present issue may depend on the comprehensive outlook/mood of the individual agent dealing with it.
- Sorry, I understood that the Préfecture portal's computer wouldn't cope with the issue...
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Failing all else, maybe the OP can get a face to face appointment with URSSAF, and cry at them as a last resort...

I know URSSAF get bad press but in my experience, if you can see someone face to face they're human like anyone else. I remember once I totally forgot to make my quarterly declaration - it was when my brother died and I went back to the UK and never gave a thought to it being the end of the quarter. When I got back to France and found URSSAF's letter and fine in my letterbox and realised what I'd done, I went along to see if I could pay my arrears and my fine by cheque. Being still a bit sad and over-emotional I was embarrasingly close to tears when I explained, and the URSSAF lady couldn't have been nicer. Don't worry she said, we all forget things sometimes, and in your circumstances nobody could possibly blame you. And she cancelled the fine without me even asking. In fact it hadn't occurred to me to ask her because I didn't realise fines can be cancelled just like that.
But, that was in the days when URSSAF was open doors and you could just wander in and wait to see someone. I think that may have changed even before Covid.

Old May 27th 2021, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

zoe+whatever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - a little update

i just finished the last stage of my application. my card is supposed to be with me within 2 weeks.

i'm not going to relay the whole process but i ended up having someone very supportive from this site - https://www.frenchresidencysupport.org/
who helped to guide me through the process.

the big lesson was not being shy to ask for help and ask questions. so yep very happy
Old May 27th 2021, 2:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoe+whatever
Hi there - a little update

i just finished the last stage of my application. my card is supposed to be with me within 2 weeks.

i'm not going to relay the whole process but i ended up having someone very supportive from this site - https://www.frenchresidencysupport.org/
who helped to guide me through the process.

the big lesson was not being shy to ask for help and ask questions. so yep very happy
Good news!
Old May 27th 2021, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is great news zoe, well done you
Very happy for you. And thanks for coming back and sharing the good news.