Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

How long do I have before I HAVE to send my 5 yr old to school?

How long do I have before I HAVE to send my 5 yr old to school?

Old Feb 16th 2024, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Fivetofive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long do I have before I HAVE to send my 5 yr old to school?

We are moving to the South of France next week. We are staying with family there while we look for a home. We are expecting to be with family for a few months. I would really rather not put my five year old in school and then have to move her when we change locations - this seems like a lot of changes for a little kid who has already had to move countries. Does anyone know how long I can legally keep her out of school?
(We have EU passports)
Old Feb 16th 2024, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long do I have before I HAVE to send my 5 yr old to school?

Talk to the local mayor. They are uniquely in the position to both report you but also to help you.

The official Service-Public.fr Instruction obligatoire page sets out the enforcement process – and 7500 EUR fines:

À chaque rentrée scolaire, le maire établit la liste de tous les enfants soumis à l'obligation scolaire qui habitent dans sa commune.Cette liste est mise à jour tous les mois.

Si votre enfant suit l'instruction dans la famille, le maire doit mener une enquête sur l'enfant, dès la 1re année.

Cette enquête est renouvelée tous les 2 ans, jusqu'aux 16 ans de l'enfant.

L'objectif de l'enquête est de contrôler les raisons pour lesquelles vous avez demandé ce mode d'instruction.

Le maire informe, tout au long de l'année, le Dasen: titleContent des manquements à l'obligation d'inscription dans un établissement d'enseignement ou d'instruction dans la famille.
Old Feb 16th 2024, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that technically, provided you keep an address in your current country of residence and don't bring all your possessions with you when you arrive to stay with family, then as EU citizens you can spend up to 3 months in France as visitors without being considered resident. Visitors aren't required to send their children to school in France as far as I am aware.
Old Feb 17th 2024, 6:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I suppose that technically, provided you keep an address in your current country of residence and don't bring all your possessions with you when you arrive to stay with family, then as EU citizens you can spend up to 3 months in France as visitors without being considered resident. Visitors aren't required to send their children to school in France as far as I am aware.
You're probably right, but a visit to the local Mairie would be advisable, to ensure that the Authorities know the circumstances. As indicated in the Service-Public link above, failure to send a child to school without a valid reason can be severely sanctioned....
In fact, the time spent by the child in the temporary school might well be more advantageous than if she stayed at home - picking up French before 1st Year Primaire when they start to learn to read and write, getting used to the French school day, making even temporary friends, .... It could be regarded as an adventurous dress-rehearsal, and would stand her in good stead when starting school in a permanent locality.

Old Mar 2nd 2024, 4:27 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

haven't posted in a long time - hope all of you guys are doing well!
Entry into CP - ecole primaire first year is determined by when they turn 6. see here
translated = Children are enrolled in elementary school at the start of the school year of the calendar year in which they reach the age of 6

my daughter with a december birthday was one year ahead of her friend who was a January baby born 2 weeks after her.
Old Mar 2nd 2024, 7:25 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
haven't posted in a long time - hope all of you guys are doing well!
Entry into CP - ecole primaire first year is determined by when they turn 6. see here
translated = Children are enrolled in elementary school at the start of the school year of the calendar year in which they reach the age of 6

my daughter with a december birthday was one year ahead of her friend who was a January baby born 2 weeks after her.
Hi, and welcome back!
Actually, schooling is compulsory from 3 years, in the local Maternelle. As recommended above, the OP should go along to the Mairie where they are temporarily staying, and explain the situation.
People are moving all the time, and apparently you simply have to inform the new Mairie within 8 days of arrival and they usually allocate the Maternelle nearest the new domicile.
N.B. to the OP: Remember to take along your child's Passport or Birth Certificate, and Vaccination book, when you enrol her. As mentioned above, a few months in a temporary Maternelle would get her used to the French way of doing things on the schooling front...