Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

GOING BACK TO THE UK-- the story continues

GOING BACK TO THE UK-- the story continues

Old Sep 30th 2023, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

cator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond repute
Default GOING BACK TO THE UK-- the story continues

I am still trying to sell my apartment and move back to my UK house.The Buyers who renounced on the ' promesse de vente' in June, came back with a reduced offer and I accepted, since I want to go back as quickly as possible. I am now told that if I give a procuration to the notaire, I need not have to wait another 2 months till the sale goes through.

Does anyone know if this would cause a problem with having temporarily 2 residences even though this would be within the allowed 91 days of temporary presence in the UK while waiting for the French sale?
Old Oct 1st 2023, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOING BACK TO THE UK-- the story continues

Hi Cator

Hope you’re keeping well.

I can’t remember all the ins and outs of your situation (other than that you were in your 80s, had been ill and were selling up in France to move back to the UK).

I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t move back now if that’s what you want to do.

Do you mean the notaire has said you don’t need to be physically present for the signing of the acte de vente?

As soon as you move back, you’ll be considered resident in the UK so you’ll have access to the NHS from Day 1 (and for the purposes of selling the French flat, the Fisc will consider the sale as a sale of your primary residence, so no need to worry about CGT).

Why is the 90 day rule relevant? You have a French residence card, don’t you? As far as I’m aware, it remains valid for a few years after you cease to be resident in France. So for the first few years during which you’re living back in the UK, you’ll not be subject to the 90 day rule when visiting France.

Pack your case and go and stop worrying! And the very best of luck. xx
Old Oct 1st 2023, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

cator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond reputecator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Helen,
your reply is much appreciated..
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t forget to come back and tell us what life’s like in the UK these days. I’m all agog.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

We finally made it back! All went well and we sold the apartment on the 15 January. Thanks to our sons, we managed to open the 150 cartons of all books paper and bric a brac collected over 40 years in France. So far things look good but it is early days yet. We managed to get on the doctor's list and are looking to see how long it takes to get a referral. Many thanks to you Helen and all those who helped us with advice. Hope that every thing works out for you as it did for us.
Old Mar 11th 2024, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well done Cator. No mean feat moving to another country later in life.
Hope you get the medical attention you need.

You’re lucky you’ve got kids to help you. Having just spent the best part of 2 hours trying to connect an old DVD player to a smart TV via an HDMI cable, I’m starting to wish I’d had a few myself.