Reload this Page >

How to apply for French passport

How to apply for French passport

Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

sebastienkapps is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to apply for French passport

Hi,
I live in and was born in the UK, to a British mother and French father. I just want to know, do I qualify for a French passport and if so, how do I apply for one? Thanks
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to apply for French passport

Originally Posted by sebastienkapps
Hi,
I live in and was born in the UK, to a British mother and French father. I just want to know, do I qualify for a French passport and if so, how do I apply for one? Thanks
How old are you? And were you registered in your father's livret familalle? (I think that's what it's called). My OH is half french too, but being an adult, it's too late to claim French citizenship for her.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: How to apply for French passport

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How old are you? And were you registered in your father's livret familalle? (I think that's what it's called). My OH is half french too, but being an adult, it's too late to claim French citizenship for her.
I'm 15, and what's livret famille?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 15, and what's livret famille?
Hi, the Livret de Famille is given to a couple when they get married at the Mairie. All subsequent children are mentioned in it.
Were your parents married in France? In which case your parents should have the Livret and they should have had you registered in it (by the French Consulate) when you were born.
In any case I believe that, as you're a minor, your father would have to apply for French citizenship for you (and provide all the necessary documents, including his own Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate).
The best thing, if you're living in the UK, is to enquire at the French Consulate to find out whether you're eligible or not and what steps you as a minor must take.
Hope this helps!
Just found this site which confirms that a parent must accompany you to the Consulat, and lists all the necessary documents for a first-time Passport for a minor:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...s/F14930.xhtml
I suspect it might be complicated. Can I ask why you need a French Passport? UK Passports aren't all that different for travelling....

Last edited by dmu; Aug 14th 2012 at 9:07 am.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: How to apply for French passport

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, the Livret de Famille is given to a couple when they get married at the Mairie. All subsequent children are mentioned in it.
Were your parents married in France? In which case your parents should have the Livret and they should have had you registered in it (by the French Consulate) when you were born.
In any case I believe that, as you're a minor, your father would have to apply for French citizenship for you (and provide all the necessary documents, including his own Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate).
The best thing, if you're living in the UK, is to enquire at the French Consulate to find out whether you're eligible or not and what steps you as a minor must take.
Hope this helps!
Just found this site which confirms that a parent must accompany you to the Consulat, and lists all the necessary documents for a first-time Passport for a minor:
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...s/F14930.xhtml
I suspect it might be complicated. Can I ask why you need a French Passport? UK Passports aren't all that different for travelling....

My parents were married in the UK and are now divorced. I just wanted to know whether I'd qualify for a French passport, just for fun.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:46 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

My parents were married in the UK and are now divorced. I just wanted to know whether I'd qualify for a French passport, just for fun.
Sorry to hear that.
It would be up to your father to take the necessary steps, but a lot depends on what the Judge decided about custody. The divorce (normally) being mentioned on your father's Birth Certificate, the Consulat might demand a lot of documents from your mother, who may not wish you to have a French Passport.
I don't want to assume anything here, but you can't decide to take out French nationality "just for fun"!