Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Homesick in France! Help

Homesick in France! Help

Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in France! Help

Originally Posted by peaches17
Hi Bec,

I was so pleased to read you have the language cd's it will make a big difference once you feel you are on the inside. Nothing is so isolating as not understanding a language.

You ask why I didn't like living in the US. It will be a diatribe to tell you, but I will try to explain my sentiment. I went there, on and off, to live over a ten year period. Three year contracts each time.

At first I loved it... The convenience.... Food deliveries of all kinds. Drive in dry cleaners and laundry, drive through car wash with free tank fill up, drive through fast food, drive in movies, drive through library, drive through banks, I could go on, but I'm sure you are with me. Then the excitement, flying to Frisco for breakfast, or, camping in Big Sur, swimming in the Malibu Pacific on the same day as driving to ski in the San Bernadino mountains. I was tireless, and it was exhilarating. The opulence of the place was dizzy making. Then the wonder of the great outdoors, Tennessee and Kentucky, the horses, the wildlife, Racoons on the terrace waiting to be fed into their little fingers, the sunsets, the wind chimes, the music. The men. All wonderful, all Brad Pitt, well more or less.

And before I go on, I lived all over the US, Manhattan, Palm Beach, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Huntsville, and visited a great deal more.

However, it all became loathsome. Because, it was overpoweringly commercial. Nothing real, all Disneyland. Shallow, merciless and corrupt. One big show, the ethos being Las Vegas. The reality, an abandonment of basic human compassion, resulting in deep unhappiness. Most all of American lifestyle is 'phoney' no human compassion in any way that I could see. All of it based on corruption of one kind or another.

It's sort of similar to France or Europe before the revolution and liberty, fraternity, egalite. Small examples: don't get sick, dont grow old, don't be poor, don't rely on the comfort of a friend, don't expect a job to pay a living wage. How to explain this would take a lifetime. If you get a long term illness, your insurance abandons you, it's too expensive, even if you start out as a millionaire and the state don't pick up the tab. So, no health care for you ever again. If you become destitute, no matter how, you are left to starve, after being taxed out of all proportion when active. You spoke of bills, in the US the bills are endless, State Tax, Federal Tax, City Tax, Dd Valorum Tax, exhorbitant utility bills. 40 thousand families in one city alone have their water cut off because they can't afford the high cost of it. They were and are left without the basic necessity of water and as down and sick as those we see in deprived nations. Dying patients taken by ambulance from their hospital to back streets in the city and left with street dwellers because no one pays the bills. Amputees in Central Park left in freezing mid winter wearing only a ragged raincoat covering their mutilated bodies. Prisoners thrown into boiling water, as a mistake, or, chained four inches above their bunks and left 24 hours as regular practice. The death penalty, death row, no access to lawyers, irrational laws, shoot to kill. It permeates the society like a cancer, and, no one utters a word. They are obsessed with the fear of so called communism, which means means any social benefit from the state. It is indoctrination by the unscrupulously wealthy, both private and corporate. Even your bank will set your account up to steal from you one way or another. As a result, they make billions from those who can least afford it. I tell you the corruption of the place gets to you and, if you have one shred of humanity in you, it will kill you.

I didn't want to remain in a drug infested hell hole, which America has become. And as you can no doubt feel from reading this, the anger in me is still as powerful as it was the day I left there, more than ten years ago now.

I still have a few friends I left, and I am so sorry for them. They have no idea how it is to live in the rest of the world, and listen only to the BS they are subjected to relentlessly by their media. And when they hear the truth, they go silent like the abused wife, then deny what they hear and see because they fear the truth will change their status.

Now you know why. And it isn't a pretty picture. But of course, one can live there forever blinkered, while one shops.
Wow! Why don't you tell us what you really think?

I lived in southern california for 5 years and I couldn't have put how I felt about the place (after the initial intoxication had worn off) any better than you have expressed it for me. Good for you for seeing through the spectacle.

Novo
Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

peaches17 will become famous soon enoughpeaches17 will become famous soon enough

Hi Novo,

Pleased to read you feel similarly. I suppose I was able to write it as so many people ask why I left there, as it seemed to them I was living 'the good life' at the time.

I guess it depends on how you see 'the good life.'

When did you live in California last? Did you work there?

Maybe asking these questions is taking over another's thread, and I would not want to do that. However, it can add to the insight requested.

With kind regards,

Peach
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:02 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peaches17
Hi Novo,

When did you live in California last? Did you work there?

Maybe asking these questions is taking over another's thread, and I would not want to do that. However, it can add to the insight requested.

With kind regards,

Peach
It's a while ago. I went from the UK to LA in 1977 and worked there until 1982. Aside from the social inequities and lack of international perspective which you ably describe, I grew very disillusioned with the shallowness of the vast majority of people there. After five minutes you behaved like bosom buddies, but after 5 years nothing had changed.

Novo

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 14th 2007 at 9:04 am.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

gailj will become famous soon enough

Hi Bec
I have been here for 6 years TODAY!!! I am one of the over 50's living with hubby. I have my family living here now, grandchildren too and even my sister has a house 15 minutes away and comes over quite a lot now she is retired. It is easier when your family is here, and without a doubt, if my daughter and her husband had not moved soon after us, I would have felt the "pull" all the time to going back and forth to the UK to see the grandchildren etc.and possibly would have been one of those that moved back.
My grandson is now 3 years old and is in school and loving every minute of it. He is starting to pick up the French language and I am so proud of him and pleased that he is able to play outside without worrying about his safety. It will get easier with time and the kids will get to love their schools and life here.I haven't met one child that has been here for a while who would choose to move back to the UK. Yours will be fine, especially when their grandparents move out and you will be a "family unit". It is so normal for you to feel like you are and it takes a long long time to adjust, if I am truthful, I still wonder on days why I came here, but when I see how happy my husband is, see the grandchildren blooming and then I go for a walk with the dogs, I know why I came!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Location: Herault - Dept 34 in the Languedoc Region of Southern France
glitteringangel is a jewel in the roughglitteringangel is a jewel in the roughglitteringangel is a jewel in the roughglitteringangel is a jewel in the roughglitteringangel is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Homesick in France! Help

Hi Bec, you mention that there are other English children at you children's school. Have you tried talking to their parents? Perhaps if you could ask them over for a coffee or something and the kids all met OUTSIDE of school then A) it might help you make friends and B) it might help your kids to stop being bullied by these children.

Just a thought.

My 7 year old son is the ONLY English child in his school and he spoke not one word of French when we arrived. Now he has lots of friends and has had no problems with bullying at all.....what does that say about British kids?!

I have a lot of English friends, most with children, but none of them live near me, I have to travel 45 minutes to get to any of their houses. I have however made friends with French Mums who live in my village and although these friendships are not the same as they would be with someone who I could converse with in my own language they are still good friends and we have lots of fun.

Try joining some local groups, do singing, dancing, keep fit, pottery, painting - ANYTHING to help you.

I know it is really hard, but you have to be a little ingenious to find ways to meet people. Why not start up a Mum's circle, so other Mums with little ones the same as you can meet up once a month or something? See what develops.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Hi bec,
Just popped on thought i'd say Hi and that I am another who can totally understand how you feel about being homesick, although its not really homesickness for the UK its for just having someone to talk to on the long lonely days when my OH is working away, I think that without everyone on here I would have gone crazy by now but everyone here is usually there just to make you feel a little better,

I am starting to wonder though if we are the only English family in our area as i cant seem to find anyone - and certainly not on here
so if there is anyone out there living in or near 41 and fancies meeting up for a coffee and a chat give a shout now

PJ
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

eclaire is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Homesick in France! Help

Originally Posted by Bec
Hi to anybody who reads this

I am new to chat rooms, haven't got a clue about the ins and outs, but I found this website whilst trying to find out prices for the TGV, so thought I'd have a go to see if anyone can give me a boost of moral!

I moved to France with my husband and children two months ago and so far I'm finding it very isolating. My OH was a navy lad and used to traveling, so could lay his hat just about anywhere and call it home. Me on the other hand have left my childhood home of Dorset, does anyone know it? Coast and countryside, no city smog to talk of, no hoodies or gang trouble. Why did we leave you may ask? House prices are HUGE, wages are LOW, I have just had my 3rd child and my husband just left the navy. Coming to France has enabled us to buy a much larger house, albeit to renovate, without the need for a mortgage. No chance of that in England let alone Dorset.

I hoped to meet other young(ish) families through school, but have found most of the british community to be of retirement age around here. I am somewhat tied with my 8 month old baby, and my two older children are in school, 5 miles away, and the fact that I am the only driver of the family. Therefore, no chance of joining any french classes at the mo; no babysitter and no other taxi driver for school trips or shopping. My life has gone from being a working Mum, with a hectic social life, to being a sit at home housewife, waiting for the next trip to school or the supermarket/builders merchant.

I love renovating but my little angel doesn't give me much chance to get involved, apart from the odd bit of tradifarging or housework! My husband has got more than enough to keep him busy, and just tells me to stop being negative about everything, any attempt at spilling my heart out just ends in huge rows. I really want it to work here, especially as I've left my job and taken the kids out of a very good school, but I can't help feeling a bit cut off and lonely. Did anyone else feel like they'd made a big mistake to start with? If they can tell me their happy endings I would be more than grateful!
Hello there

i realise i'm a bit behind the times replying to your post 2 months too late but i haven't logged onto the forum for ages. Just reading your post reminded me of myself when i moved out here 7 months ago.

How are you feeling now? I really hope things are improving for you. I actually put up a posting myself about homesickness back in September and got loads of positive replies.

I felt so depressed and so desperate, and i would get up every day and wonder what the hell i'd done coming out here. I have a 2 year old son and my husband works, at the time i had no car, no friends and felt so down. I never thought things would ever get better but i can tell you now they really did. The first step on the ladder to feeling better was joining this forum....after that everything started looking up. Through the site, I've met a lovely couple who live nearby...(hi Chris & Julie!!) and now met mums with kids the same age as my son, we even go to a playgroup that my new friend has just set up.

My little boy is starting at ecole maternelle on Monday and i'm a little nervous but i know he'll be fine and looking forward to hearing him speak French!

I really hope you're feeling much better about life in France, I honestly thought i'd be miserable forever but i feel pretty good now, and very positive about the future. I'm not saying homesickness won't come back now and again to bite us on the bum, but i think with time the feelings of hopelessness gets less and less.

Do let us know how you're getting on.

E x
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud ofpaulajayne has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eclaire
Hello there

i realise i'm a bit behind the times replying to your post 2 months too late but i haven't logged onto the forum for ages. Just reading your post reminded me of myself when i moved out here 7 months ago.

How are you feeling now? I really hope things are improving for you. I actually put up a posting myself about homesickness back in September and got loads of positive replies.

I felt so depressed and so desperate, and i would get up every day and wonder what the hell i'd done coming out here. I have a 2 year old son and my husband works, at the time i had no car, no friends and felt so down. I never thought things would ever get better but i can tell you now they really did. The first step on the ladder to feeling better was joining this forum....after that everything started looking up. Through the site, I've met a lovely couple who live nearby...(hi Chris & Julie!!) and now met mums with kids the same age as my son, we even go to a playgroup that my new friend has just set up.

My little boy is starting at ecole maternelle on Monday and i'm a little nervous but i know he'll be fine and looking forward to hearing him speak French!

I really hope you're feeling much better about life in France, I honestly thought i'd be miserable forever but i feel pretty good now, and very positive about the future. I'm not saying homesickness won't come back now and again to bite us on the bum, but i think with time the feelings of hopelessness gets less and less.

Do let us know how you're getting on.

E x
Hi E

Wow cant believe how time flies,
really so glad to hear that youve settled now - unfortunatly ive still not really settled in yet - still looking for people near me and still cant find any

love PJ
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulajayne
Hi E

Wow cant believe how time flies,
really so glad to hear that youve settled now - unfortunatly ive still not really settled in yet - still looking for people near me and still cant find any

love PJ
Hi PJ

how long have you been in France now?

Have you any neighbours? It helps to try and talk to them if you have any, I suppose i'm quite lucky in the sense that my neighbours are about my age with 3 children, and although my French isn't great we get by with lots of simple words and big gestures with hands!! Even my other neighbour, a lady who is 68 and speaks no English at all comes for coffee. The thing i think i missed most when i came out here, and i think you'll agree, was the lack of normal conversation about anything and everything without having to think about how to say this word or that word.

It's great that there's this site with expats not just in France but all over the world. Until i first logged onto this, i felt like the only person in the world daft enough to move somewhere so far away from family, friends and normality, but seeing that there's so many others out there in countries a lot further than this, i realised that there are a hell of a lot more people dafter than me!!

I really hope you meet English people, it does help so much. I know you WILL meet English people, it just may take a little time. Someone will pop up when you least expect it. My parents came over in September, and i was in the supermarket with my mum waiting at the checkout for ages, and i turned to my mum and tutted "it's not like Tesco is it, where they'll open another checkout when there's more than 2 people waiting" and this bloke in front of us turned round and said "nah, it's nothin' like Tesco is it!!" we got talking to him and his wife and they had just moved over too, so you honestly will meet people, i'm sure of it.

Keep your chin up and try to keep positive.

E xx
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi PJ

how long have you been in France now?

Have you any neighbours? It helps to try and talk to them if you have any, I suppose i'm quite lucky in the sense that my neighbours are about my age with 3 children, and although my French isn't great we get by with lots of simple words and big gestures with hands!! Even my other neighbour, a lady who is 68 and speaks no English at all comes for coffee. The thing i think i missed most when i came out here, and i think you'll agree, was the lack of normal conversation about anything and everything without having to think about how to say this word or that word.

It's great that there's this site with expats not just in France but all over the world. Until i first logged onto this, i felt like the only person in the world daft enough to move somewhere so far away from family, friends and normality, but seeing that there's so many others out there in countries a lot further than this, i realised that there are a hell of a lot more people dafter than me!!

I really hope you meet English people, it does help so much. I know you WILL meet English people, it just may take a little time. Someone will pop up when you least expect it. My parents came over in September, and i was in the supermarket with my mum waiting at the checkout for ages, and i turned to my mum and tutted "it's not like Tesco is it, where they'll open another checkout when there's more than 2 people waiting" and this bloke in front of us turned round and said "nah, it's nothin' like Tesco is it!!" we got talking to him and his wife and they had just moved over too, so you honestly will meet people, i'm sure of it.

Keep your chin up and try to keep positive.

E xx
Hi E
Been here since June got neighbours across the road who are a young couple with their son and next door (sort of) is a middle aged lady and her husband who is lovely but not here very often, the lady next door is lovely and often offers to take me to superu or rather she tells me she is taking me
I still think my main problem is that i dont drive so i cant just jump in the car and go off to the little local shops which is where my French will progress.
our village is so small which is what we wanted a little patch of heaven, because of OH's job we dont really want to be in the middle of an 'estate' as when hes home he like the solitude - not so great for me when he's away though
I know what you mean about talking to someone 'normal' although not sure any of us on this forum pass that criteria
I will persevere when i get back here in April as off to Barbados in a week and its so much easier when the weather warms up

Thanks for your words of encouragement it always helps

PJ

Last edited by paulajayne; Jan 4th 2008 at 9:55 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi PJ

I'm probably the nearest on this forum to you, I hate to sound lame but we really are so busy here that it is hard to commit to arranging a visit to see you - I think you are about 30 mins away from me. I have children of 5,7,9 and 11 and can't wait till school restarts on Monday! We have been here 3 and a half years, so I have done the toddler/school thing.
Other than that as we are farmers sometimes it is just so busy I feel I have no time to myself. Boredom is rarely a problem, in fact I sometimes wish life was a little duller!
We have beef cattle and just before Christmas my husband decided to start selling meat direct, this is going well but meant I couldn't leave the house in the week before Christmas, people collecting orders etc, which made Christmas shopping difficult!

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't drive, I sympathise as I need to be mobile, even if just for my sanity! As it is here, some days (like today) the phone never stops ringing and hardly a day goes by without someone turning up. It is quite a challenge as of course most people are French and it tests my language skills to the limit! I should be so much better.

Let me know when you get back from your trip and if you like, I'll make sure I get over to see you, I used to go to French lessons at Meunes (?) which I think is quite near you. I have no sense of direction though!

Really envious of your forthcoming trip!

Sue
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hi E
Been here since June got neighbours across the road who are a young couple with their son and next door (sort of) is a middle aged lady and her husband who is lovely but not here very often, the lady next door is lovely and often offers to take me to superu or rather she tells me she is taking me
I still think my main problem is that i dont drive so i cant just jump in the car and go off to the little local shops which is where my French will progress.
our village is so small which is what we wanted a little patch of heaven, because of OH's job we dont really want to be in the middle of an 'estate' as when hes home he like the solitude - not so great for me when he's away though
I know what you mean about talking to someone 'normal' although not sure any of us on this forum pass that criteria
I will persevere when i get back here in April as off to Barbados in a week and its so much easier when the weather warms up

Thanks for your words of encouragement it always helps

PJ
I came over here in June too. It does help being able to drive....i had no car to begin with and my highlight of the week was doing the weekly shop with my husband on a Friday night, and having tea at Flunch (yuk!!! ). I got a beat up old Ford Escort with bumps and scrapes all over it, so blend in with the French now. It is great living in a beautiful peaceful place but it does make it harder to put yourself out there and make friends.

Barbados sounds great, hope you have a good time....you might feel homesick for France while you're there....you never know!

E x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Hi PJ

I'm probably the nearest on this forum to you, I hate to sound lame but we really are so busy here that it is hard to commit to arranging a visit to see you - I think you are about 30 mins away from me. I have children of 5,7,9 and 11 and can't wait till school restarts on Monday! We have been here 3 and a half years, so I have done the toddler/school thing.
Other than that as we are farmers sometimes it is just so busy I feel I have no time to myself. Boredom is rarely a problem, in fact I sometimes wish life was a little duller!
We have beef cattle and just before Christmas my husband decided to start selling meat direct, this is going well but meant I couldn't leave the house in the week before Christmas, people collecting orders etc, which made Christmas shopping difficult!

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't drive, I sympathise as I need to be mobile, even if just for my sanity! As it is here, some days (like today) the phone never stops ringing and hardly a day goes by without someone turning up. It is quite a challenge as of course most people are French and it tests my language skills to the limit! I should be so much better.

Let me know when you get back from your trip and if you like, I'll make sure I get over to see you, I used to go to French lessons at Meunes (?) which I think is quite near you. I have no sense of direction though!

Really envious of your forthcoming trip!

Sue
There you go PJ....someone nearby, that's great!! I told you someone would pop up when you least expected it
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I came over here in June too. It does help being able to drive....i had no car to begin with and my highlight of the week was doing the weekly shop with my husband on a Friday night, and having tea at Flunch (yuk!!! ). I got a beat up old Ford Escort with bumps and scrapes all over it, so blend in with the French now. It is great living in a beautiful peaceful place but it does make it harder to put yourself out there and make friends.

Barbados sounds great, hope you have a good time....you might feel homesick for France while you're there....you never know!

E x
oh i know i will get homesick while im there - in fact my friends back in uk think im insane as it took me 3 months to finally agree to the 3 months in Barbados
but when i get back my house will be all but finished as we have all our renovation work scheduled for while im away so ill only have decorating to do

The highlight of my week was the weekly shop but it became less enjoyable doing the 1 hour walk down there once the weather changed and Harmony (whos 3) didnt quite enjoy it as much either

Im gonna finally be getting my little yoghurt pot when i get back from my little jaunt so at least ill be able to get out - and the 'beach' at montrichard and the zoo at st aignan will be getting many visits im sure not too mention that ill be able to take Harmony to the local park ( which is actually a longer walk than to the supermarket) and ill be able to finally get her into school
so I am keeping positive I know that this is the place that I want to be Harmony gets homesick when we join Jonathan on the ships and can speak a little French - her favourite at the moment is 'ooo la la '
home is where the heart is and mine is in France

PJ
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

oh i know i will get homesick while im there - in fact my friends back in uk think im insane as it took me 3 months to finally agree to the 3 months in Barbados
but when i get back my house will be all but finished as we have all our renovation work scheduled for while im away so ill only have decorating to do

The highlight of my week was the weekly shop but it became less enjoyable doing the 1 hour walk down there once the weather changed and Harmony (whos 3) didnt quite enjoy it as much either

Im gonna finally be getting my little yoghurt pot when i get back from my little jaunt so at least ill be able to get out - and the 'beach' at montrichard and the zoo at st aignan will be getting many visits im sure not too mention that ill be able to take Harmony to the local park ( which is actually a longer walk than to the supermarket) and ill be able to finally get her into school
so I am keeping positive I know that this is the place that I want to be Harmony gets homesick when we join Jonathan on the ships and can speak a little French - her favourite at the moment is 'ooo la la '
home is where the heart is and mine is in France

PJ
Well what can i say....you're three quarters of the way there already if you know you want to be in France. It really is a great place to live, and those of us that are here already are very lucky. It's not perfect, but what is? The UK certainly isn't either....plus gas has just gone up in UK by 27%!!!!!

My little boy is starting nursery school on Monday, i'm a little nervous but also looking forward to it as i want to get a veg patch underway.....any tips anyone??

Speak soon PJ and have a great trip....x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.