Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Highly recommended tv

Highly recommended tv

Old Oct 12th 2020, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Highly recommended tv

We've just watched the last episode of the France2 tv mini-series 'Le Mensonge'. Brilliant, & well worth watching, especially anyone particularly interested in the French judiciary system, truly mind-blowing. Based on the true drama of a former Vence/Alpes-Maritime mayor, falsely accused of rape by his young grandson, sentenced and imprisoned. A hair-raising, tragic drama, and superb performance by Daniel Auteuil. Highly recommended!
Link to the 1st episode on catch-up tv:

And the YTube trailer:
Spoiler:

Old Oct 13th 2020, 8:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Highly recommended tv

Merde! I am not allowed to watch it from the UK!
Old Oct 13th 2020, 9:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
We've just watched the last episode of the France2 tv mini-series 'Le Mensonge'. Brilliant, & well worth watching, especially anyone particularly interested in the French judiciary system, truly mind-blowing. Based on the true drama of a former Vence/Alpes-Maritime mayor, falsely accused of rape by his young grandson, sentenced and imprisoned. A hair-raising, tragic drama, and superb performance by Daniel Auteuil. Highly recommended!
Link to the 1st episode on catch-up tv:

And the YTube trailer:

Sorry to say that I somehow missed it.
I did watch "Grand Hôtel" from the beginning, hoping that it would improve with time, but it didn't....
Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to say that I somehow missed it.
I did watch "Grand Hôtel" from the beginning, hoping that it would improve with time, but it didn't....
Yes I agree, Grand Hotel left a bit to be desired.
In Le Mensonge, the reason for the young lad's fabricated story unfolds in the last episode. The alarming thing was, he loved his grandfather who was also perfectly respectable to the kid whom he adored, so to imagine this could happen in the way it did is potentialy frightening, especially over the 15 years, which destroyed the grandfather professionally, and mentally. Even many years later when the lad confessed that his story was fabricated with a written statement, the legal aspects leading to an eventual aquital are also hair-raising.
I believe that my first link may relate to the 1st episode. Correction follows with a link to all:

Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by malcom1970
Here's a link to a brief summary of this sad, true life drama in English.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I use a VPN to allow me to change countries when I want access to websites that restrict access from overseas.
From the UK, I changed to a VPN server in France.
I was then able to access France2 and view the program (including subtitles in French).
I can also use the VPN to access UK programs from France.
HTH
Old Oct 31st 2020, 8:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether I can recommend it yet, but there's a new mini-series on France 2 on Monday, on Charles de Gaulle (*** according to my TV magazine). If it's anything like the film with Lambert Wilson, it should be very good, and it'll be interesting to see how Samuel Labarthe ("Les petits meutres d'Agatha Christie") plays de Gaulle. Watch this space....
Old Oct 31st 2020, 10:14 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

You could have a chat with your local Ariel installer. French T.V. is easily obtained.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
I don't know whether I can recommend it yet, but there's a new mini-series on France 2 on Monday, on Charles de Gaulle (*** according to my TV magazine). If it's anything like the film with Lambert Wilson, it should be very good, and it'll be interesting to see how Samuel Labarthe ("Les petits meutres d'Agatha Christie") plays de Gaulle. Watch this space....
Thanks DMU. Yes, we've already noted this, also that T7J has given the six-part series a 4-star rating, which is very unusual, so it certainly looks promising.
I also note that the first 3 parts of the series next Mon at 21:00hrs have prime-time with 2 good films on Arte, namely Otto Preminger's Anatomy of a Murder (rated an excellent 8/10 on IMDb) followed by Brian De Palma's Sisters. I frequently record recommended films or series on my double tuner equipped tv decoder. This allows for recording 2 channels simutaneously to a hard-drive with the possibility to watch a third in real time. Useful for next monday.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

For some very strange reason, I see that the first episode is already available to watch on the France TV site HERE.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've just watched the 1st episode linked to above. Not bad, but rather slow-paced, and imo not 4-star rating. The references to the sinking of the Lancastria (now often referred to as the Unknown Disaster) and then Operation Catapult particulary interested me. On-line videos of both tragic events are well worth watching.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

This may interest those who (like myself) don't receive UK tv via satellite or never watch Netflix.
Tonight on France 2 at 21:05 sees the start of the BBC miniseries thriller Bodyguard. I've just watched the teaser clip which looks very promising indeed. Really looking forward to this!
Those with a suitable french tv decoder can of course decide whether to watch in French or in VO.
Useful links follow:
https://www.tellerreport.com/life/20...JmFl1xPuD.html

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2985540...&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

This may interest those who (like myself) don't receive UK tv via satellite or never watch Netflix.
Tonight on France 2 at 21:05 sees the start of the BBC miniseries thriller Bodyguard. I've just watched the teaser clip which looks very promising indeed. Really looking forward to this!
Those with a suitable french tv decoder can of course decide whether to watch in French or in VO.
Useful links follow:
https://www.tellerreport.com/life/20...JmFl1xPuD.html

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2985540...&ref_=tt_ov_vi
I watched it in the UK a year or so ago.
Very good.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cyrian
I watched it in the UK a year or so ago.
Very good.
I agree. Wow, what a brilliant thriller series Bodyguard is turning out to be. If next Monday's episodes are good as this evening's, we're in for a treat over the next 3 weeks. Great political drama, with even a bit of 'humpty-dumpty' thrown in.
HERE's a repeat of the first 2 episodes for those who may have missed it.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 6:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree. Wow, what a brilliant thriller series Bodyguard is turning out to be. If next Monday's episodes are good as this evening's, we're in for a treat over the next 3 weeks. Great political drama, with even a bit of 'humpty-dumpty' thrown in.
HERE's a repeat of the first 2 episodes for those who may have missed it.
I did happen to miss it yesterday, despite all the previous trailers, so thanks for the link. I'll have to find time to watch the first two episodes before next week....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.