Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Highly recommended tv

Highly recommended tv

Old Nov 17th 2020, 1:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Highly recommended tv

Originally Posted by dmu
I did happen to miss it yesterday, despite all the previous trailers, so thanks for the link. I'll have to find time to watch the first two episodes before next week....
Well, I did find time within a few hours! Wow, can't wait until next Monday...
(Must admit that I need sub-titles due to the hero's accent and to technical political/police terms)
Old Nov 17th 2020, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

A scottish accent isn't difficult to understand.

There was a program where they had strong Glasgow accents and this was shown in France with subtitles.

The actor ordered a fish supper and when he received it he demanded "whaers ma pickled uniun?" in English "where is my pickled onion?"
The subtitle simply stated "bon appétit".

Last edited by cyrian; Nov 17th 2020 at 2:38 pm. Reason: addition
Old Nov 17th 2020, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
(Must admit that I need sub-titles due to the hero's accent and to technical political/police terms)
Now it's interesting you say that!
For once I particularly wanted to watch a UK series in English (Mme TP loves the UK Sunday evening series Vera and watches it in French), but with this Bodyguard series she drew the short straw so I had my choice - in English for a change. However a minute or so into the first episode I found myself struggling with Richard Madden's accent. A switch over into French was the solution, and left Mme grinning victoriously. It became obvious from the opening sequence that this was a thriller to keep watching.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 6:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
A scottish accent isn't difficult to understand.

There was a program where they had strong Glasgow accents and this was shown in France with subtitles.

The actor ordered a fish supper and when he received it he demanded "whaers ma pickled uniun?" in English "where is my pickled onion?"
The subtitle simply stated "bon appétit".
Having been born and bred in the South of England and having lived in France for 5 decades, I'm struggling with Scottish and Geordie accents! I can cope with the other regional accents, but I also have to set up sub-titles for U.S. films....
I often find that the sub-titles aren't 100% correct and in the pickled onion example, French people wouldn't understand a literal translation, as the concept isn't widespread here!
Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Having been born and bred in the South of England and having lived in France for 5 decades, I'm struggling with Scottish and Geordie accents! I can cope with the other regional accents, but I also have to set up sub-titles for U.S. films....
I often find that the sub-titles aren't 100% correct and in the pickled onion example, French people wouldn't understand a literal translation, as the concept isn't widespread here!
It is exactly the same problem with French tv particularly police series where they use local expressions and the interaction is very rapid.
We use sub titles in French or English as appropriate.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Just a head's-up...... For those who enjoy an excellent thriller and haven't seen it (or even if you have), Gone Girl is showing on Fr3 tv tonight at 21:05. We saw it in the cinema here some years ago, and I've since seen it a second time. Plan to record it tonight to watch again tomorrow in English. It's that's good! (Excellent IMDb rating of 8.1/10).
I'll certainly be gutted if they replace it with a Diego Maradona tribute documentary, as some of these channels are capable of doing.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 6:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
Wow, what an end to that thriller! There's going to be an empty gap next Monday evening....
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Wow, what an end to that thriller! There's going to be an empty gap next Monday evening....
Agreed, BodyGuard was truly an excellent thriller. In spite of all that, Mme TP still nodded-off (bless-her) towards the end, so I rapidly zapped from the French audio to the VO sound-track to make the most of the finalé.
I note the last 2 episodes on still available HERE, somewhat frustrating though for any that missed the first four......
Now keeping a close watch for anything else programed that may be as promising.

DMU, did you ever watch Le Bazar de la Charite? I commented favourably on this about a year ago. That too is currently being repeated on TF1 channel 20.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 9:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Agreed, BodyGuard was truly an excellent thriller. In spite of all that, Mme TP still nodded-off (bless-her) towards the end, so I rapidly zapped from the French audio to the VO sound-track to make the most of the finalé.
I note the last 2 episodes on still available HERE, somewhat frustrating though for any that missed the first four......
Now keeping a close watch for anything else programed that may be as promising.

DMU, did you ever watch Le Bazar de la Charite? I commented favourably on this about a year ago. That too is currently being repeated on TF1 channel 20.
Yes I did, and I've only recently noticed that it's being repeated on "TF1 séries-films" (Satellite TV, too), but too late to watch it again from the beginning. I should spend more time studying the programmes each week and organizing skype sessions accordingly....
Old Dec 5th 2020, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Lesmullons is an unknown quantity at this point

Just started watching The Announcer on All 4. First episode is beautifully filmed and typically fast paced as are most French series. Can also recommend Philharmonia, another Walter Presents show on All 4. We use Tunnel Bear to ensure we can watch UK streaming channels.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 7:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lesmullons
Just started watching The Announcer on All 4. First episode is beautifully filmed and typically fast paced as are most French series. Can also recommend Philharmonia, another Walter Presents show on All 4. We use Tunnel Bear to ensure we can watch UK streaming channels.
Hi
All 4?? I checked in my TV magazine but no mention among the Satellite/Cable channels. Pity I missed "Philharmonia" last year, apparently on FR2...
For all international rugby fans, the Crunch between France/England is being covered by FR2 this afternoon at 15h00 (no mention in said TV magazine, probably because it was printed before they could know that France would be in the final....)

Last edited by dmu; Dec 6th 2020 at 7:22 am.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lesmullons
Yes I certainly agree. Both series imho are excellent! We watched the first intriguing French drama as Speakerine in 2018 when first screened. Philharmonia we also watched around the same time, which I also recorded to dvd - a good reminder that it's time to re-review. A strange personality that Helene in the main role as chef d'orchestre...... We found it excellent but the critics were not so complimentary about the series, even lovers of classical music were divided in their opinions.
I'm not familiar with All4 (Tunnel Bear) which I presume is a payable satellite channel.

Edit: .......Ok, I've just read that Tunnel Bear's a VPN

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Dec 6th 2020 at 7:44 am.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Yes I certainly agree. Both series imho are excellent! We watched the first intriguing French drama as Speakerine in 2018 when first screened. Philharmonia we also watched around the same time, which I also recorded to dvd - a good reminder that it's time to re-review. A strange personality that Helene in the main role as chef d'orchestre...... We found it excellent but the critics were not so complimentary about the series, even lovers of classical music were divided in their opinions.
I'm not familiar with All4 (Tunnel Bear) which I presume is a payable satellite channel.

Edit: .......Ok, I've just read that Tunnel Bear's a VPN

aaah, Speakerine, I missed that, too, but OH didn't fancy watching it...
And no wonder I didn't know what All4 was - don't use VPN since I'm not equipped and, in any case, all my multi-lingual French TV channels usually suffice (provided I check the programmes beforehand....)
Old Dec 6th 2020, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Lesmullons is an unknown quantity at this point

I find VPN useful for Premier league football and we enjoy the Walter Presents dramas. Just finished De Twaalf (the twelve) which was in Flemish (English subtitles obviously) and really good.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 12:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did anyone watch "Quand sort la recluse?" on FR2 yesterday? My TV magazine only gave it a one-star rating, but I was attracted by the many good actors (who couldn't all have acted in a flop, after all), and was glad I didn't zap. I've never read Fred Vargas's books, but the intrigue and the various characters have encouraged me to look in the library (when normal service resumes) to catch up on my culture...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.