Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Headlight Beam Deflectors

Headlight Beam Deflectors

Old Nov 14th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight Beam Deflectors

We are currently popping over to France as much as my family will allow us to at the moment and I am getting a little fed up of having to keep buying new headlight beam deflectors for each trip. Does anyone know of any re-usable ones?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:38 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Headlight Beam Deflectors

Originally Posted by jonkemp
We are currently popping over to France as much as my family will allow us to at the moment and I am getting a little fed up of having to keep buying new headlight beam deflectors for each trip. Does anyone know of any re-usable ones?
Buy yourself some silver or black 'gaffer' tape; sort out the beam guide deflector on your headlights, what is the key spot - you already know this - then simples. Cut some tape to 'mirror' the outline of the stick-on deflector, clean the glass and wack it on. Job's a good 'un.
I just cut a square of tape on our 2nd car when we go to UK (I've tweaked the RHD headlights to meet the CT). On my French lit 4x4, I just use the gaffer technique when we take that over, which is in a few weeks. Never had an issue. When you drive at night you can see the beam position; if in doubt adjust. Cheaper than buying fresh each time

Last edited by cjm; Nov 14th 2012 at 7:40 pm. Reason: making sense of nonsense
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Buy yourself some silver or black 'gaffer' tape; sort out the beam guide deflector on your headlights, what is the key spot - you already know this - then simples. Cut some tape to 'mirror' the outline of the stick-on deflector, clean the glass and wack it on. Job's a good 'un.
I just cut a square of tape on our 2nd car when we go to UK. On my French lit 4x4, I just use the gaffer technique when we take that over, which is in a few weeks. Never had an issue. When you drive at night you can see the beam position; if in doubt adjust. Cheaper than buying fresh each time
+1. I always did that when we lived in Germany and drove to the UK. None of your namby-pamby beam deflectors.

BTW and a propos of nothing in particular, I've been in NoAm so long that I now call gaffer tape duct tape.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:47 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1. I always did that when we lived in Germany and drove to the UK. None of your namby-pamby beam deflectors.

BTW and a propos of nothing in particular, I've been in NoAm so long that I now call gaffer tape duct tape.
Being a Lundon boy, we were never good with "t's", so we called it duck tape, 'cos it was waterproof, like a ducks' back ...
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Being a Lundon boy, we were never good with "t's", so we called it duck tape, 'cos it was waterproof, like a ducks' back ...
It's not just Lundon, it's almost always mispronounced in Canada as well.

Canadians and Lahndeners are similarly slack jawed.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:56 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

It's not just Lundon, it's almost always mispronounced in Canada as well.

Canadians and Lahndeners are similarly slack jawed.
I resemble that remark!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:59 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by cjm
I resemble that remark!
I think we've deflected the main beam of this thread a bit.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:08 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

I think we've deflected the main beam of this thread a bit.
You mean, there's been a dip?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 6:31 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonkemp
Dont drive at night

Night Vision head set, Although im not sure if using tactical equipment is considered a legal alternative.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

I put some deflectors on and forgot take them off when I returned to the UK.
That was probably four years ago.

Maybe not the correct thing to do, but I find UK roads are easier for night driving (more white paint and cats eyes).

I remember struggling along the A20 near Brive with hardly any markings at all.