Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

URGENT Help required. From Manchester to Toulouse

URGENT Help required. From Manchester to Toulouse

Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Scott F is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile URGENT Help required. From Manchester to Toulouse

Hi everyone. This is my first post so any help will be more than welcome.
I have been offered a job with Airbus in Toulouse and they want me to start mid/ end of Jan 2012.

I visited Toulouse when I has my interviews and fell in love with the place. liked the sites and everyone seemed really friendly.

I have 2 children (nearly 4 and nearly 2) so me and my wife are thinking of putting them into French school.

The only worry we have is that I am leaving a good Job in the UK and my wife will be leaving her job and we will all be living on just my salary. This is where any help will be much appreciated.

My salary that has been offered is going to be around 3000-3300 Euros a month with bonuses but no overtime. I am joining as a cadre and really finding it hard to research average salaries and what we will need as a family to survive.

Could anybody please shed some light and tell me if they think 3200 Euros a month is going to be sufficient for a family of 4?

I really want to move to Toulouse but also don't want to struggle while I am their and this is something that is concerning my wife.

Any help with accommodation will also be appreciated. I am looking at the West of Airbus and on the web. Just finding it hard to find a good website with rental offers.

Sorry about the waffle

Scotty
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT Help required. From Manchester to Toulouse

Hi there

how great to get the job offer!! The sum of money you quote is gross I guess; from this deduct around 25% to get your monthly net salary after pênsion, social charges and other deductions such as the top up mutuelle
(as a guide my hubby is airbus earns about 15% less and brings home around 2200).

From this with your wife not earning and with 2 kids you will not pay tax. So what you have is yours. You will also get around 130 per month child benefit for 2 children. When they go to primary school you will also qualify for back to school support of around 700 euros a year as a non tax payer.

I would say it is possible to live on this but you would not be well off. You could save on rent by moving as far out as L'Isle Jourdain (around 40 mins in the morning from ST Martin) but of course unless your wife also has a car it could be very isolating.

If your wife can speak any french she could eventually get work as an English teacher like me, which could potentially bring in another 500 - 700 euros a month... this would push you over the tax threshold though ...

Only the eldest child would be eligible for school (maternelle) until September when the youngest would then qualify. They may find it a lilttle tricky at first but being so young they should have no problem in the long run!

All things considered, you may not be very rich here in Toulouse in money but I can heartily recommend the life here ( and we live on just a little more than you and have 2 rapidly growing teens!) Life has a much better work life balance, the weather is great , there is skiiing on your doorstep and sea close by. Our kids are happier, less'adult' at an early age and bilingual

My hubby is from Manchester and we lived there at the beginning of our marriage.... we prefer Toulouse!

If you have any other questions please do contact me by PM which is possible after 3 postings on this board
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. Have you any ideas regarding how much to be expected to pay in rent and any sites which have good offers?

Regards

Scott

P.S Job offer is really great.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scott F
Hi everyone. This is my first post so any help will be more than welcome.
I have been offered a job with Airbus in Toulouse and they want me to start mid/ end of Jan 2012.

I visited Toulouse when I has my interviews and fell in love with the place. liked the sites and everyone seemed really friendly.

I have 2 children (nearly 4 and nearly 2) so me and my wife are thinking of putting them into French school.

The only worry we have is that I am leaving a good Job in the UK and my wife will be leaving her job and we will all be living on just my salary. This is where any help will be much appreciated.

My salary that has been offered is going to be around 3000-3300 Euros a month with bonuses but no overtime. I am joining as a cadre and really finding it hard to research average salaries and what we will need as a family to survive.

Could anybody please shed some light and tell me if they think 3200 Euros a month is going to be sufficient for a family of 4?

I really want to move to Toulouse but also don't want to struggle while I am their and this is something that is concerning my wife.

Any help with accommodation will also be appreciated. I am looking at the West of Airbus and on the web. Just finding it hard to find a good website with rental offers.

Sorry about the waffle

Scotty
Welcome to the Forum, Dm always has lots of valuable advice about Toulouse If you get any issues give us a shout.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: URGENT Help required. From Manchester to Toulouse

Had estate agent round today giving us a quote for what we will get for renting our house in England. Looking at a budget of 800 Euros a month for rent in Brax, Pibrac, L'isle Jourdine area.

Is this a realistic budget for a 3 bed house or should I be budgeting for more?

Thanks

Scotty
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking at leboncoin for rentals or if LIsle Jourdain

I woudl think this would be ok in Lisle but for Pibrac/ and deffo Brax you would be looking at more

Hang on Ill try to find some links for you and PM you
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Very much. I have been looking on SeLoger.co.uk but all seem to be quite expensive.

Really want to come over but panicking about having enough month to month to survive on.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Try these.
You may be lucky but I think it could be difficult to find a really nice 3 bedroom house for 800€/month in the areas you mention. An appartment yes.
http://www.pibracimmobilier.com/
http://www.laforet-immobilier-colomi...mmobilier.html

Rarely mentioned - not sure why, but don't overlook possible accommodation in Blagnac itself. On the correct side of Blagnac you will never be troubled with the noise of overflying aircraft - unlike some properties close to Pibrac. We rented a modern villa for 10 years in Blagnac very close to Odysud cultural centre which is a wonderful place to spend a few hours weekends or evenings. The choice of books, videos, DVD's etc that one can take out is amazing. Plus there is a very successful Music Conservatoire at Blagnac which I highly recommend for children. Our son attended lessons there, and made progress incomparable to local music schools.
Good luck in your search. Let us know what you find.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our daughter also attended the music school at Blagnac; it was super; although we love the one at >Lisle Jourdain too.... so many places so much to choose!

Did you receive myPM to you with the house adverts on??
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dennerlymum.

Just looked now at the houses you found for us. thank you for that. (didn't see the private message button) he he.

May have found someone already who will rent our house here in UK, but will have to pay £150 towards the mortgage payments myself.

Thats another 200 Euros I have to payout on top.

Can I PM you with a few other questions?

Thanks again

Scott
Old Nov 27th 2011, 9:48 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

ScottF, please explore the costs of medical insuirance. It can be expensive here and you re not convered unless you are retired.

In addiiton my XTrail (10 years old) costs 700 euros a year to insure fully comp. and the companies don't do monthly payments. I begged to pay over three months but they were not happy.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Etoile de Berger
ScottF, please explore the costs of medical insuirance. It can be expensive here and you re not convered unless you are retired.
Hi, on another thread OP says he'll be salaried, no doubt with a Mutuelle, so he and his family will be covered healthwise.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scott F
Hi Dennerlymum.

Just looked now at the houses you found for us. thank you for that. (didn't see the private message button) he he.

May have found someone already who will rent our house here in UK, but will have to pay £150 towards the mortgage payments myself.

Thats another 200 Euros I have to payout on top.

Can I PM you with a few other questions?

Thanks again

Scott
yes no problem anytime; I pop in here every few hours or so
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Etoile de Berger

In addiiton my XTrail (10 years old) costs 700 euros a year to insure fully comp. and the companies don't do monthly payments. I begged to pay over three months but they were not happy.

Hi there; the op said he was with airbus so he will qualify for health cover plus a very highly subsideised mutuelle (the deductions for which I included in my calcs in post 2) Car insurance is pricey but with the right insurer you can pay monthly.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:48 pm
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Who dat den???

So far I haven't found anyone to let me pay monthly. DO PLEASE tell me who I should contact! I am penniless from Feb to May every year!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.