Reload this Page >

French Mortgages for UK residents

French Mortgages for UK residents

Old May 1st 2024, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

yorks78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Mortgages for UK residents

Hi all,

Just joined the forum and it looks like a friendly place! I searched for this in the pinned, but couldn't find anything recent. I just wanted to ask if anyone had arranged a French mortgage as a UK resident, and which company they used? I've had a search and HSBC expat came up with a handful of french banks, but it has terrible reviews.

It's difficult to know where to start! We're looking in Aude, as I'll need to get back to the UK via Carcassonne a lot initially and we love the area having visited. My wife is French, although has been living in ENgland for a decade and having no experience of house buying.

Many thanks in advance for your tips and experience!

Old May 2nd 2024, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French Mortgages for UK residents

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I tried to buy a car on a LOA but was denied because I was not French resident.
They simply did not want to know.
Things have changed post-Brexit in this regard.
French banks are IMO much more dictatorial then in the UK.
They tell you what you can and cannot do - take it or leave it.
Have you considered renting long-term?
Renting is more common than in the UK and the French property market is nothing like in the UK.
Buying in France is not an investment. You would be lucky to make a profit even after many years and even if you have upgraded the property.
Good luck
Old May 2nd 2024, 6:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorks78
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and it looks like a friendly place! I searched for this in the pinned, but couldn't find anything recent. I just wanted to ask if anyone had arranged a French mortgage as a UK resident, and which company they used? I've had a search and HSBC expat came up with a handful of french banks, but it has terrible reviews.

It's difficult to know where to start! We're looking in Aude, as I'll need to get back to the UK via Carcassonne a lot initially and we love the area having visited. My wife is French, although has been living in ENgland for a decade and having no experience of house buying.

Many thanks in advance for your tips and experience!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
No experience with mortgages, but I agree with Cyrian's suggestion to rent at the beginning. For a start, you might buy property and find that you've got neighbours-from-hell, or other hidden issues. Or discover that, despite your wife's nationality, you aren't happy here and want to return to the UK. You can rent a place as a base and look around until you've found the ideal property. You aren't committed to a long-term lease, very short notice is required for tenants to cancel contracts....
Presumably you've sorted out the Visa issue?
Old May 2nd 2024, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both, will certainly look into renting- my wife has been shocked by the renting terms in the UK so maybe the experience would be better there.

I appreciate the concerns about buying a house in terms of neighbours and re-sale. Where we've been searching in Aude the market looks pretty buoyant- ie whilst we visited places got bought up from our shortlist. I guess some of the concerns such as neighbours/ unseen work apply with any property purchase, but valid points. Thanks!
Old May 8th 2024, 9:43 am
Just Joined

I guess no one has set up a french mortgage from a uk income recently, hein!