Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Duel nationality - moving to France for the first time with a 5.5 year old

Duel nationality - moving to France for the first time with a 5.5 year old

Old May 9th 2024, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Cm89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duel nationality - moving to France for the first time with a 5.5 year old

Hi there.
I am seeking advice on a few things. Both my son and I have duel nationality (English & French passports) but neither of us speak French (my father didn’t teach me so I wasn’t able to teach it to my son) hence the move to France!

My son is enrolled in a UK state school, come September are there specific documents that I need to show them that he is enrolled in a French school? I have found a good school for him.
although we have a French passport, I feel like I will need more to enrol him in the school, what other documents will I need? Is there a company that helps with this process?

We are learning French and will continue to learn whilst there, but whilst I do not speak it I feel getting work will be hard.
I have worked as a self employed, accredited and certified resilience coach for the last 12 years. I have worked with students that are 17-22 years old although typically my clients are 30-70. All are seeking positive change, a desire to upskill how they manage stress and build their resilience. My methodology is based on CBT, mindfulness, behavioural change psychology, mediation methods, somatic awareness and more.

Is anyone based in Marseilles that has a contact of someone that could help me to find work?

I am excited for the move ahead and would be grateful for support in gathering the necessary information. Thank you
Old May 9th 2024, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duel nationality - moving to France for the first time with a 5.5 year old

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Normally, when you move into a commune, you register with the Mairie and they allocate your child to the local school.
Finding work will be difficult. It sounds like your skill set may not be compatible with the French healthcare system. Adults and children can access local psychiatrists direct and charge this to their carte vitale. They do not need to go through a GP or a hospital.
Apologies if I have misinterpreted what you do.
Will you have the child's father's permission to take the child to France?
HTH
Old May 9th 2024, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Duel nationality - moving to France for the first time with a 5.5 year old

Hi Cyrian. Thank you for sharing your insight about the French healthcare system. It’s really good to know! Sounds great.
Yes I have permission.
so resilience coaching or life coaching is therapeutic but isn’t therapy as it’s not specifically about healing, it is more present life orientated and future focussed.
I thought there could be English speaking people within the community that would want coaching. I have worked in schools and within teams to support learning around stress management and communication.

There is an international school that I am looking at. So perhaps they will be able to help me.
Old May 9th 2024, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

Your first step should be to contact your local mayor.

Schooling is handled by the local mayor and commune. Communes are obliged to provide school places for their residents. If there is no local school, smaller communes will use another commune's school.

In our area, school enrolment for CP (primary class for 5yo) is happening now. For that, you need to show:

- proof of child's identity (birth certificate/family book/…);
- proof of residence (utility bill);
- proof of vaccinations;
- complete any paperwork provided by commune.

Vaccinations are important but something a local doctor can help arrange. The NHS used to provide a vaccination summary on demand; maybe they still do.

Expect the mayor and local commune to be friendly and helpful. They are obliged to help and, at least in our area, are used to a certain level of disorganisation among parents. Enjoy the adventure!
Old May 9th 2024, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Dear Graham, thank you so much!
this is all so helpful! I am so appreciative of all the local knowledge in how the French system works, thank you so much!
Old May 9th 2024, 9:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
In addition to the info given above, you must take out a "Civil Liability" insurance for your son. The school will indicate the specialized insurance companies when he has been enrolled, although it can be included in your own insurance...
Sorry I can't help on the work front, other than say that you'll need adequate French to cope with the inevitable bureaucracy. You should research potential clientèle in Marseille, as your counselling wouldn't be reimbursed and those in need might prefer to be coached in French....
HTH
Old May 9th 2024, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks dmu! The addition of school insurance should absolutely be on the list. Typically the policy certificate (attestation scolaire) is asked for when your child physically goes to the school, as compared to enrolment, so there is no rush. An annual policy from someone like MMA is ~13 euros and can be bought online instantly.

As general advice, ask first what documents an organisation wants and then gather them. Communes and organisations can differ in their requirements and strictness. Regardless, most are keen to help things go smoothly.

Consider the relative value of an international school versus a local school. At five, your child's integration will be initially stressful but they will soon be integrated into the main stream. As for you, nothing will push your language skills more than chatting with parents and staff at the school gate!

Which route appears best depends on your long term aspirations for the move.

Last edited by graham.miln; May 9th 2024 at 10:40 pm. Reason: Added French policy name.