Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Foreign company without establishment in France

Foreign company without establishment in France

Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign company without establishment in France

The only advice I gave was to go and see a lawyer to see if there might be a way forward.

If the air stewardesses working for BA are in the UK for more than 40 days then they are liable for paying their tax in the UK, thats it. The NI is a separate issue with different rules.

For AE, you have to declare what you will be doing. So if it's 2 different industries then it's 2 AE set-ups. Having one client in a different country would be a massive red flag. My lawyer told me that the specific ruling that applies to this - funnily enough a hairdresser somewhere in Brittany!

If it was me in this situation, I absolutely would spend a bit of money to see if there was a way to keep my job.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
For AE, you have to declare what you will be doing. So if it's 2 different industries then it's 2 AE set-ups. Having one client in a different country would be a massive red flag. My lawyer told me that the specific ruling that applies to this - funnily enough a hairdresser somewhere in Brittany!
An auto entreprise is a type of Entreprise Individuelle, and one person cannot set up two separate Entreprises Individuelles (obviously). However, it's permissible within reason to perform different activities under the same AE inscription, as long as you register all the activities and declare which your principal activity is. The rules for AEs carrying out mixed activities, and how the cotisations work, are spelled out here http://www.cci.fr/web/auto-entrepren...tivites-mixtes. If you wanted to combine two activities that URSSAF considers incompatible I suppose they would say 'non', but generally they don't.

What's the problem with an AE having clients in different countries? I'm an AE and I have regular clients mostly in France, some in the UK, one in Spain and one in the USA. As long as you invoice correctly and keep your records in order, there isn't a problem.

The AE rules aren't rocket science, they're all on the site for everybody to read and if you're in doubt about something, you can go to URSSAF and sort it out with them on the spot, I've always found URSSAF very helpful and straightforward to deal with, face to face. Forgive me for saying so but your lawyer seems to be making a very simple régime more complicated than it really is.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:52 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

What's the problem with an AE having clients in different countries? I'm an AE and I have regular clients mostly in France, some in the UK, one in Spain and one in the USA. As long as you invoice correctly and keep your records in order, there isn't a problem.
I think the problem is if you have only one client (or one client represents most of the business) irrespective of which country the client is in. This is because some French companies got most of their employees to become AE so they had to tighten the rules to stop them doing this.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think the problem is if you have only one client (or one client represents most of the business) irrespective of which country the client is in. This is because some French companies got most of their employees to become AE so they had to tighten the rules to stop them doing this.
Ah OK, I get what lpf meant now.

Yes I agree with that.