FOOD

Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:08 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FOOD

When we lived in France I missed Custard, so always took two or three tins of custard powder over with me. Also Dream Topping, the disgusting stuff that makes up false cream when milk is added - I adore it. Also, gravy granules seemed ridiculously expensive so I hoarded them too. And the French Lidl didn't do the wonderful jars of Indian sauces - Korma being my fave, so I used to take them over too.

To be honest, we used to come bake to England "very light" on luggage and go back with loads of stuff we missed, but I would still prefer to live in France any day of the week which is why I am trying to go back!

Lorry will, however, be filled with a few bits of furniture, 100 tins of Birds Custard Powder, 40 cases of baked beans, 50 packs of dream topping etc, so hope there is room for the bed, table, telly and wardrobe .............. and the jars of Korma sauce are great for using for weight balance for the lorry ............ just put two in each corner before one starts loading.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:15 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by treskillard
You're maybe divorced from your first life.

Wrong again
Peut-etre this one!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:21 am
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

You're maybe divorced from your first life.
B###er, another hijacked thread !

Chris (who isn't French, but still glad he came...)
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:28 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chris'nJulie
B###er, another hijacked thread !

Chris (who isn't French, but still glad he came...)
Welcome perhaps you will get it back on its wheels
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Hannah4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes im all for freedom of speech stan/ span i forget which.
Just use this freedom wisely, a little sarcastic nest ce pas does not insult or make you more french.
Is this the only french you know perhaps haha.
This is amusing I must say.
All because i wanted to know if certain of you missed certain things.
Thanks for your input
Over and out
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=treskillard;6632427]I miss the food in the UK. There's no where to eat out really around where I am of any note and in the local towns I find the food pretty mediocre or expensive in general. I actually think that food here in France is not as good as it used to be 20 years ago - nearly all the old little restaurants have closed down.

Are you sure you are in France Tres
I keep telling you that you need to come to Normandy

welcome to the forum hannah4 - nice to have you join us.
Think most British expats in France at some stage have a hankering for hard cheese, such as cheddar. You can get in our local supermarket, but tastes nothing like the one's you get in UK, especially if you can get a jar of Branston Pickle to go with it.

Last edited by val50; Jul 31st 2008 at 2:40 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

My French friends, when in the UK, stock up on custard powder, jellies, teabags, biscuits, bacon, lamb chops, cheddar, really nice muesli, gravy granules, tinned red fruits and a few other things that we also like. So it is not just us Brits who appreciate "typically British food"

I was interested in the comment about decent beef, we are beef producers and every two or three months since December have been selling our own beef direct. Unlike typical French beef, we have it hung for 21 days and it is going down a storm with ex-pats and French people alike. I'm not advertising, just wanted to say that we can, dare I say, teach them a thing or two about good food....
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

[I was interested in the comment about decent beef, we are beef producers and every two or three months since December have been selling our own beef direct. Unlike typical French beef, we have it hung for 21 days and it is going down a storm with ex-pats and French people alike. I'm not advertising, just wanted to say that we can, dare I say, teach them a thing or two about good food....[/QUOTE]

well done. Its good when things start to come to-gether. Word will soon spread (like my belly if i keep eating cheese...um)) as all good things do.
Many
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:44 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themoose

well done. Its good when things start to come to-gether. Word will soon spread (like my belly if i keep eating cheese...um)) as all good things do.
Many
just sorting out the quotation marks...
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:53 am
Banned

just sorting out the quotation marks...
When you do, please tell us.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

I actually miss something exclusively Italian!

I found this gorgeous soft drink while on holiday in Italy, Lemon Soda. Really lemony and has bits of lemon in it. I found a supplier in the UK and they used to send me a couple of crates every now and then but I can't afford to get them sent over here from London. Goes down really well on a day like this.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:44 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

CB, you can easily make your own. You need a Lemon Syrup base, then do experiments with adding soda water or even tonic water until you get the taste you like - the key is the lemon syrup you make in the first place, it's really easy here it is:

* 2 cups sugar
* 2 cups water
* 1 lemon, rind only, grated
* Juice of 4 lemons strained

1. Boil the water, sugar, and lemon rind together for 5 minutes.
2. Strain and add the lemon juice.
3. Let it cool off.

One tip is to stand over the first bit, whilst bringing the water, sugar and lemon rind to the boil and stir it until the sugar dissolves - you can "feel" it is gone with the wooden spoon as it won't feel gritty anymore.

After Pimms, I love this the best for summer, with plenty of ice and a lemon rind twist if you want to be "posh".
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I'm really missing anything except for the occasional fish and chip dinner. I have everything from Greek, Italian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Pakistani all within walking distance.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I can't say I'm really missing anything except for the occasional fish and chip dinner. I have everything from Greek, Italian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Pakistani all within walking distance.
Good of you mate.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:49 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
How you gonna keep them down on the farm
After they've been served in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.