Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Eurovision Song Contest 2008

Eurovision Song Contest 2008

Old May 25th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eurovision Song Contest 2008

I wonder how many of you watched the Eurovision Song Contest last night?

If you did you would no doubt have been disappointed if supporting the UK. The song finished in last place picking up only 14 points. (Germany and Poland also received the same score, but were officially placed above the UK because their top scores in a single round were higher).

Interesting to note that Terry Wogan said at the beginning of the year that Russia would win this years Eurovision song contest for political reasons, and they did!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7418940.stm

One would have done hardly any better supporting France. Imho a slightly better song than the UK’s (well it couldn't have been worse), which came a poor 19th out of 25.
The French TV presentator Julien Lepers concluded by saying that they had had a good result – “un bon placement pour la France”. I’m not sure what he had been drinking or sniffing.......
Old May 25th 2008, 7:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2008

Can you tell me what they actually judge in the competition, apart from who lives closest to them ?
Old May 25th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Can you tell me what they actually judge in the competition, apart from who lives closest to them ?
I had the same feeling of "Vote for thy neighbour, and forget the musical qualities".

My disappointment is unmentionable

:curse:
Old May 25th 2008, 8:25 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

I can't work up the energy to be disappointed to be honest! It's always the same - crap!
Old May 25th 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

ravalak has a brilliant futureravalak has a brilliant futureravalak has a brilliant futureravalak has a brilliant futureravalak has a brilliant futureravalak has a brilliant futureravalak has a brilliant future

My spouse is from Latvia and agrees that it is vote for your neighbour - it is now a ruined competition - so much so that Ireland put a puppet in as their entry...
Old May 25th 2008, 9:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I wonder how many of you watched the Eurovision Song Contest last night?

If you did you would no doubt have been disappointed if supporting the UK. The song finished in last place picking up only 14 points. (Germany and Poland also received the same score, but were officially placed above the UK because their top scores in a single round were higher).

Interesting to note that Terry Wogan said at the beginning of the year that Russia would win this years Eurovision song contest for political reasons, and they did!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7418940.stm

One would have done hardly any better supporting France. Imho a slightly better song than the UK’s (well it couldn't have been worse), which came a poor 19th out of 25.
The French TV presentator Julien Lepers concluded by saying that they had had a good result – “un bon placement pour la France”. I’m not sure what he had been drinking or sniffing.......
We never actually watch the "singing", just the voting at the end after another prime-time programme. Rather like Miss France, but with less suspense.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ravalak
My spouse is from Latvia and agrees that it is vote for your neighbour - it is now a ruined competition - so much so that Ireland put a puppet in as their entry...
Interesting. Actually based on total disregard to neighbouring preferences or dance routines, I had Latvia down as the No 2 best song, with Sweden first, and Russia 3.
Still, what do I know about politics & the way the real votes were cast...........
Agree, it's now a ruined competition.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:11 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Interesting. Actually based on total disregard to neighbouring preferences or dance routines, I had Latvia down as the No 2 best song, with Sweden first, and Russia 3.
Still, what do I know about politics & the way the real votes were cast...........
Agree, it's now a ruined competition.
Ruined
It was ruined years ago,so have not watch it for many years.
Waste of T.V. time for me.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:44 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from the fact that the British entry did not reflect British Music i think it's time to remove the phone vote part of the show and add new rules one not allowing people to vote for any country that borders them. Another another one is to get shot of these silly entries like Ireland and that washing line song. Best thing would be to shift it to EU members only.

Something i did like, was watching it on the BBC the interactive service translated all the songs in the subtitles. And the best thing about Eurovision is Terry Wogan.