Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

England or France,the good life.!

England or France,the good life.!

Old May 9th 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England or France,the good life.!

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
I am a little piqued at this. Are you implying that the rest of us that took the trouble to reply are less than honest? If not, then I think you need to rephrase your statement. I see it as you have found someone who moved for the same reasons as you, and therefore are justifying it as the one true answer.

I hope I am wrong here, because that is disrespectful to the people who have moved here for other reasons. Besides, why would people lie about their reasons? Everybody is different and what's one man's meat is another man's poison. Please don't judge the world on your own perceptions alone.
jazzy is right, I think your comment is undeserved and warrants an apology. If you don't want to know how different people feel and react, then why bother asking the question in the first place?
Old May 9th 2008, 1:27 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

I originally came to France because I was on the run, from myself of course.
Well it turned out it was me anyway.
Took a bit of time to work it out.
When I realised I found that I didn't really care where I was in a sense and wanted to be where my family was and where people had watched the same episodes of children's TV and had read the Beano.
Escaping is good fun but it wears thin when you take your self with you.
In some ways - for me - by being in the UK for all its faults at least I know what they are and can see them and feel less in hiding than I did over here.

Old May 9th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Was going through a marraige break up and not coping with it very well, and in danger of slipping out of things completely. Work was high pressure and not helping with the situation at home. Needed to start afresh somewhere well away, something to concentrate on and as I'd always loved France and the French ways, I decided to take the plunge.

It has worked to a certain extent too, there are other factors but other than them I would not want to return to England voluntarily.

I have made the move on a limited budget and work is not as easy as I'd hoped but I keep plugging away at it.

Unless the other factor comes into play seriously I could honestly say if I never saw England again, I wouldn't care.
Old May 9th 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

andrew phillips will become famous soon enoughandrew phillips will become famous soon enough

I am a little piqued at this. Are you implying that the rest of us that took the trouble to reply are less than honest? If not, then I think you need to rephrase your statement. I see it as you have found someone who moved for the same reasons as you, and therefore are justifying it as the one true answer.

I hope I am wrong here, because that is disrespectful to the people who have moved here for other reasons. Besides, why would people lie about their reasons? Everybody is different and what's one man's meat is another man's poison. Please don't judge the world on your own perceptions alone.
Hi Thankyou for your reply I certainly have no intention of upsetting people or implying ,moving to France is not just about one reason ,of course just like myself ,there are lots of reasons people have. I have no problems with anyone or their opinions.Judging by some of the really thoughtful people replying to my question,it is nice to hear their point of view.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:08 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrew phillips
Thankyou for your warm,honest reply ,at last an an answer I can understand .straight from the heart .shame more people cannot be more honest about why they move to France .I decided not to make comparrisons to England when I moved to France,just embrace it for what it is ,totally different,totally out of your comfort zone,an adventure in life, also find out how strong a character of person you really are .
Yes one thing you do find out is how strong you are and the strength of the bonds of those whom you move with. After a heart attack a stroke a large piece of 4" by 4" around the head learning to walk talk and eat again which is easier the first time. My lust for life is stronger than it ever was. In coming to France i found the weakness's in my body and the strength to keep going. Comparing things to other places we have lived is a natural thing to do it is something we have all done in making the decision to up sticks to another country no matter where it is.

I think everyone was honest and your remark on the subject is quite offensive, it is our choice to share whatever we want with strangers on the Wired wacky Web, why should we pore our hearts out when you have given nothing to even gel the question i can tell you how painful life can be here at times when you are waiting for the machine that goes bing to stop, or maybe when you are standing facing some one and suddenly your head feels like a bus has hit it and then darkness. And eight weeks later you scratch your head and wonder who you are and what you doing here.

In all honesty im glad it happened in France because if i had had the misfortune of being taken in to my local hospital in england (The Kent and Sussex) i would be dead now.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:10 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Enough of this niceness
People currently move from Britain because of the ascendency of the invisible planet Garlic whose peregrinations across our most outer space are disturbing the balance that made us live there in the first place I know. I have been there. I suspect from the astute work of Galactic police beings that South Wales was disturbed by planetary movements from an early - nay precocious - date. Long live Fairfach.

I rest my case and corkscrew.

Val, the violins please.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by treskillard
Enough of this niceness
People currently move from Britain because of the ascendency of the invisible planet Garlic whose peregrinations across our most outer space are disturbing the balance that made us live there in the first place I know. I have been there. I suspect from the astute work of Galactic police beings that South Wales was disturbed by planetary movements from an early - nay precocious - date. Long live Fairfach.

I rest my case and corkscrew.

Val, the violins please.
You have been at the vino again...never rest a corkscrew were you might not find it.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

one man's meat is another man's poison.

Since this is the France forum, shouldn't that be poisson?
Old May 10th 2008, 9:01 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Since this is the France forum, shouldn't that be poisson?

What in cod's name do you mean? I don't want to hake anyone off or ling their bell. I salmonly swear on my sole not to use poisson ever again.

Unless someone mack-erels me.

Ok, it's too early isn't it?!

BTW talking of fish - the first time I saw the frozen fish section I collapsed in a giggling heap. Why? The thought of Colin of Alaska in a red cape coming to save the day...

I'm going to stop now. Honest.

Sorry..
Old May 10th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

What in cod's name do you mean? I don't want to hake anyone off or ling their bell. I salmonly swear on my sole not to use poisson ever again.

Unless someone mack-erels me.

Sorry..
Is this really the thyme or the plaice? I'll lot you marinate on this for a bite.
Old May 10th 2008, 12:00 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sdale100
Is this really the thyme or the plaice? I'll lot you marinate on this for a bite.

Oh ho, you thought that would kipper quiet eh?!

Groan! I'm off before I get battered...
Old May 10th 2008, 3:14 pm
down under where

Groan! I'm off before I get battered...
Do not make a rod for your own back Jazzy, you must see your puns in scale and not harang yourself for trawling for laughs
Old May 10th 2008, 3:38 pm

PMSL Nearly battered myself reading this crab, it all a load of carp. Maybe we should have a get together as eel be good to eat you all.