Employment

Old Nov 11th 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Faysie53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Employment

Hi I've lived in Orleans now for a couple of years but would really like to work, preferably part time. Does anyone work for a British company in and around this area? Or is anyone in need of a translator ? I am bilingual, with English being my maternal tongue, and a great communicator and organiser.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment

As you have been here for some time now, you're certainly aware how difficult the job situation has become, with so many desperate to find employment, even part-time.
Have you registered with your local Pole Emploi? They are probably in the best position to confirm if there is anything to suit your CV and your needs.
Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as Tweedpipe says it is unfortunately quite hard for anyone to find work in France at the moment.

If you want to get into freelance translating you'd need to register as self-employed, possibly as auto entrepreneur, and then you could start chasing freelance gigs. If you don't have a SIRET number, companies can't employ you as a freelancer.

Sorry I can't sound more encouraging but the truth is that you're going to be facing keen and hungry competition for the few good jobs available from professionals who need to keep working in order to put food on the table; so unless you have a great CV and good experience, persistence and determination may be needed.
However, if you're looking for work for personal fulfilment rather than financial necessity, maybe voluntary work could be the answer?
Old Nov 12th 2013, 1:26 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Faysie, what do your friends say? I lived in France for many years, I was popular, in demand and on every sort of village and town committee, but that was only so long as I was a volunteer...the moment my husband lost his job and I sought paid employment, life changed, nobody wanted to know, the Pole d'Emploi told me I would have to return to England (I haven't lived there for 30 years) and it all got very tense. What got me through was the great number of well qualified French mates that I had who all sympathised, but they were all unemployed too! These were ladies I would have trusted with my life, let alone my administration....don't be put off and by all means try, but be prepared it's not going to be easy. Best of luck
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faysie53
Hi I've lived in Orleans now for a couple of years but would really like to work, preferably part time. Does anyone work for a British company in and around this area? Or is anyone in need of a translator ? I am bilingual, with English being my maternal tongue, and a great communicator and organiser.
If I were living in Orleans and looking for jobs as a translator, French to English, the first door I'd knock on would be the CNRS.

There's hundreds of french scientists working there who (almost) all publish their work in the English language.

While most of them speak good English, only a few are confidently bilingual enough to trust their own technical language translations and would be pleased to have expert help.

I speak here from indirect experience. My OH had a similar job at a research institute in Germany in the past. (Purely coincidentally, I was working there as a senior scientist at the time).
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Faysie53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Employment

Thanks to all of you for taking the time and replying with advice. Very grateful.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

frenchie911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Have you sorted the job situation yet
Have tried sending you a private message but could not do it
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frenchie911
Hi

Have you sorted the job situation yet
Have tried sending you a private message but could not do it
You need a minimum of 3 posts before you can use the PM system.

Welcome aboard.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:42 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Are you an official registered translator? as if you are then you can register with the court service here as all the Brits that go to court here can be assigned translators.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Are you an official registered translator? as if you are then you can register with the court service here as all the Brits that go to court here can be assigned translators.
Unless things have changed radically, it was virtually impossible in my day to become a "Traducteur assermenté" except through recommendations in high places.
(You might have gathered that my application was turned down at the time, despite experience and qualifications....)
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 6:03 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Unless things have changed radically, it was virtually impossible in my day to become a "Traducteur assermenté" except through recommendations in high places.
(You might have gathered that my application was turned down at the time, despite experience and qualifications....)
Not so much the case these days I know of an Oz'y and a couple of Brits that do it in the Midi Py region. No clue how they got to that position mind
Old Jan 4th 2014, 8:39 am
Just Joined

frenchie911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please contact me privately I may have something of interest to you