Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Dual nationality

Dual nationality

Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why are you still wondering? For starters go and Google "European Economic Area", because that is why there is freedom to live and work anywhere in Europe, including in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Lichtenstein, which aren't even in the European Onion.
Yes I know but apparently many Brits in the EU and EU citizens in the UK are about to ask a new passport to remain in the country and so I believe maybe the government would like to end dual nationality as well!

Front national in France also wants the end of dual nationalities because of terrorism and so on.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyposer
Yes I know but apparently many Brits in the EU and EU citizens in the UK are about to ask a new passport to remain in the country and so I believe maybe the government would like to end dual nationality as well! .....
There's no accounting for ignorance.
.... Front national in France also wants the end of dual nationalities because of terrorism and so on.
Which has nothing to do with Britain leaving the EU.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 8:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you born in France, your British father never married your French mother and you were born before 1 July 2006 then you'll need to register as a British citizen before you apply for your British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-father

And no, you won't need to choose between your French and British citizenship if the UK leaves the EU. The two are unrelated and both French and British nationality law allow dual citizenship.
Or she could get one of these ones for nowt...
Attached Thumbnails Dual nationality-geordie-passport.jpg  
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Or one of these.

Rumour has it that they actually pay £80 for those people who want one....
Old Nov 7th 2015, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Or one of these.
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M18...=0&w=300&h=300
Rumour has it that they actually pay £80 for those people who want one....

cheeky monkey!
Old Nov 7th 2015, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

balding_potter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babyposer
ps: don't be so resentful
I wasn't being resentful - only vaguely humorous. Apparently the one they call 'Bev' didn't think so, and deleted my post. I wonder if 'Bev' bothered to actually understand my post at all?

Oh well. The world turns.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are not allowed to be funny when people can get offended, I also got some pm from Bevs.. Well you're only supposed to give straight facts.
It's a bit unfair though because other people made some off thread comments.

Last edited by babyposer; Nov 7th 2015 at 6:09 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

I'm not sure I care too much for Bev's perceptions of who might be offended by what. It would seem somewhat unpredictable, and possibly guided by dyspepsia. I did look for the 'delete my profile' button, but there isn't one.

Perhaps if the one they call Bev happens across this post, she will oblige, and prod the secret red button which undoubtedly exists on some executive control panel only she has access to. Oh the power, the power!
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:01 am
Account Closed

On looking further, I discover that in the 'Privacy Policy' of Internetbrands.com (who parent British Expats), I should have both the ability to deactivate my account, and the ability to delete it:

* - You may deactivate your profile at any time by visiting the preferences page for your profile.
* - You may close your account at any time by logging onto the site on which you are registered and navigating to your account.

Neither of these are available to me. Why is that?

Apologies for hijacking this thread, BTW.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Send a private message to Bevs.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

I've sent a message to the forum adminstrator (who (s)he?) - we'll see what transpires.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 5:44 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balding_potter
I'm not sure I care too much for Bev's perceptions of who might be offended by what. It would seem somewhat unpredictable, and possibly guided by dyspepsia. I did look for the 'delete my profile' button, but there isn't one.

Perhaps if the one they call Bev happens across this post, she will oblige, and prod the secret red button which undoubtedly exists on some executive control panel only she has access to. Oh the power, the power!
balding_potter, if you just stop posting on BE it will have the same result because even if your account is deleted, all of your posts will remain in order that old threads remain complete (I was going to say intelligible but that may be asking too much!)
Old Nov 11th 2015, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
balding_potter, if you just stop posting on BE it will have the same result because even if your account is deleted, all of your posts will remain in order that old threads remain complete (I was going to say intelligible but that may be asking too much!)
I have to say that the French forum has changed over the last few years - and changed for the worse in my opinion. Acerbic comments from mods are surely not a good way to encourage members to remain and newbies to join.
I started an extensive thread some years back which exemplified the best of the forum. Advice was good and plentiful but so was supportive comment (and occasional digression). If it's true that mods now only want factual exchanges, the humanity of this community is lessened.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsbach
I have to say that the French forum has changed over the last few years - and changed for the worse in my opinion. Acerbic comments from mods are surely not a good way to encourage members to remain and newbies to join.
+1
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:21 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsbach
I started an extensive thread some years back which exemplified the best of the forum. Advice was good and plentiful but so was supportive comment (and occasional digression). If it's true that mods now only want factual exchanges, the humanity of this community is lessened.
I think you have a misconception as to what the function of a moderator is.

First and foremost a mod is also a member, probably was for some years before he/she became a mod, continues to be so while moderating and will likely remain so after giving up that duty.

A mod is not responsible for promoting BE, members do that by posting interesting information (as was the case in the thread you mentioned) which then gets referenced by Google and the like, which may ultimately bring new members into the community.

What a mod is responsible for is applying the site rules on the forums he/she moderates - most of this work goes unnoticed by members but some mods spend much of their time simply removing stuff which break the rules (mainly spam by new members). When they are noticed is if they moderate older members who overstep the mark. No one likes such a situation but it happens sometimes.

For my part I don't, and can't, moderate the French forum but I can as a simple member be ascerbic, if I so choose. If a member has a spat with another and wants to take away his ball and bat, then that's fine. It's actually better than having a long running feud between certain members, something which has happened in the past.

Personally, I like the French forum. Members have a profound knowledge, are very open and don't take themselves too seriously, which is great for a forum. Maybe like good wine, there have been some memorable vintages but I'm sure there are even better to come!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.