Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Driving license question

Driving license question

Old Apr 24th 2023, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license question

Look away, Tim:
5 reasons why it’s so hard to pass your driving theory test in France – BEST FRANCE FOREVER
Old Apr 24th 2023, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baroudeur
AFAIK the DVLA only requires an address at which the holder can be contacted. If you know someone who can be trusted to forward mail to you their address should be satisfactory. After all, there are many UK licence holders living in France who do not have a permanent UK address.
Whilst the D1 (DL application form) section for address is titled 'Current Address' the inf1d (instructions for completing a D1) specifies that the applicant must be normally resident in the UK and clarifies that a person is considered normally resident in the UK if they usually live there for more than 185 days each calendar year. The reason why is that Section 97A of the Road Traffic Act stipulates that UK DL's can only be issued to those who are lawfully resident in the UK.
Using another person's address in the UK to facilitate the issue (including renewal) of a UK DL when you live in France (or anywhere else) is an offence under Section 174 of the RTA (making a false statement to obtain a DL) which carries a maximum penalty of £2500 and revocation of the DL which was obtained by making the false statement.
I won't elaborate on the applicant in France and the "trusted person" in the UK forwarding said DL would also place themselves at risk of being charged with criminal conspiracy, which can result in jail time.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Plus of course the DVLA do cross checks with other government departments so it is now easier than ever to find out if someone is gaming the system.I live in France and have a UK driving licence as does my wife as the Anglo/French agreement on DLs which replaced EU arrangements means that I cannot swap my DL for a french one till it expires or it is lost stolen/you get points in France
Old Apr 25th 2023, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

There's something in the latest edition of Connexion magazine about no longer having to swap your licence for a French one if you incur points. I just saw the headline - not the article itself - so I don't know the details yet.

Old Apr 25th 2023, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

baroudeur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Plus of course the DVLA do cross checks with other government departments so it is now easier than ever to find out if someone is gaming the system.I live in France and have a UK driving licence as does my wife as the Anglo/French agreement on DLs which replaced EU arrangements means that I cannot swap my DL for a french one till it expires or it is lost stolen/you get points in France
When the licence expires or the photo expires or does either require a swap to a French licence? Technically, the licence doesn't expire when the photo requires renewal but as a French resident can you renew the photo?
Old Apr 25th 2023, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baroudeur
When the licence expires or the photo expires or does either require a swap to a French licence? Technically, the licence doesn't expire when the photo requires renewal but as a French resident can you renew the photo?
No, you can’t (legally) renew if you’re not resident in the UK. Within 6 months prior to the photocard expiring you’re supposed to submit it to the French authorities who will then swap it for a French licence.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Dang, what a mess!
Old Apr 28th 2023, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have the opportunity to exchange a US driving licence? If you can it might be easier to sit a test in the US than France unless your French is got enough to sit the theory test.
Old Apr 28th 2023, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
Do you have the opportunity to exchange a US driving licence? If you can it might be easier to sit a test in the US than France unless your French is got enough to sit the theory test.
Tim already has a US license. I understand that only a few US states issue licenses that France is willing to exchange, and apparently TimFountain doesn't hold an exchangeable license.

I found this online, but I can't vouch for it's accuracy:
The following US states have a driver's license reciprocity with France: Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, South Carolina, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Florida and Connecticut.
And none of those states are close to where Tim Fountain lives in Oregon, so while he could probably finegle swapping an Oregon license for a US license swappable for a French license more easily than he could obtain a reissued British license, it would still require a stopover of several weeks to obtain a verifiable address (probably needs things like a bank statement, utility bills, etc.) and obtain a license using that address.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 28th 2023 at 3:43 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2023, 7:19 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...I understand that only a few US states issue licenses that France is willing to exchange...
Given that it requires reciprocal agreements, maybe it's the other way round re willingness
Old Apr 29th 2023, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Given that it requires reciprocal agreements, maybe it's the other way round re willingness. ...
Agreed, it is reciprocal, but TimFountain doesn't want to exchange a French licence for a US state license, so isn't really relevant to the discussion.