Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Driving license question

Driving license question

Old Apr 22nd 2023, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving license question

Bit of a weird question. I have been in the US for >20 years and will be moving to France soon. My UK license expired in 2015. I see on the French driving license website (here - https://www.service-public.fr/partic.../F1460?lang=en) that I am able to exchange my license for a French one if it is valid. Problem is that I can't renew my UK license as I don't live in the UK, and can't exchange the UK license because it's expired. Final note - the state I live in (Oregon) is not one of the small number of US states that the French recognize and have a license exchange treaty with... Am I SOL or is there a way to do this?

Thank you

- Tim
Old Apr 22nd 2023, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Lin_NJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving license question

If you can't establish an address in the UK and renew (if that is still possible since it is 8 years beyond expiry) you will have to take the French driving test. Or, move to a state which has reciprocity and stay there for a year or so after getting that state's license since I understand the French admin may be on to that wheeze.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lin_NJ
If you can't establish an address in the UK and renew (if that is still possible since it is 8 years beyond expiry) ....
British driving licenses can be reissued upon application, nothing more, until the licence holder reaches the age of 70, regardless of how many years ago their most recent licence expired. Then I think a doctor's approval/ signature is also required, as for anyone living in the UK and wanting a licence after the age of 70.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
British driving licenses can be reissued upon application, nothing more, until the licence holder reaches the age of 70, regardless of how many years ago their most recent licence expired. Then I think a doctor's approval/ signature is also required, as for anyone living in the UK and wanting a licence after the age of 70.
In the UK you don't need a doctor's approval/signature to renew a licence after 70.
It is simply a self declaration that you do not have any of a list of conditions.
The doctor is obliged to notify DVLA if you have had certain medical conditions e.g. a stroke.
You can also be temporarily banned from driving while undergoing certain medical procedures.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 7:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
In the UK you don't need a doctor's approval/signature to renew a licence after 70.
It is simply a self declaration that you do not have any of a list of conditions.
The doctor is obliged to notify DVLA if you have had certain medical conditions e.g. a stroke.
You can also be temporarily banned from driving while undergoing certain medical procedures.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought wrong.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand. I am not resident in the UK, nor have I been for >20 years. My understanding is that you have to be resident in the UK to renew. Or are you suggesting I can renew my UK DL in France?
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

One might think what’s being suggested is that you see if a close family member in the UK would let you use their address for the purpose of getting your UK licence reissued.
You would need to double-check the application procedure, though, as DVLA might require proof of address. Especially if there’s going to be a change of address involved (no parents living at the address on your expired licence?)

This forum being a jiggery pokery-free zone, however, what is actually being suggested of course is that you go to the UK for a nice long break and establish yourself as resident before moving on to France. Just enough to get your licence back.

Once you have a UK licence you’ll be able to drive around in France on it for 10 years. The French will only swap it for a French one within 6 months prior to expiry. Or if you
lose or damage it or it gets stolen.

Failing that, I’m afraid you’ll have to sit a French driving test.

Last edited by Helen1964; Apr 23rd 2023 at 1:23 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I think what’s being suggested is that you have a think and see if there’s a close family member in the UK who would let you use their address for the purpose of getting your UK licence reissued.
You would need to double-check the application procedure, though, as DVLA might require proof of address. I’m not sure.

Once you have a UK licence you’ll be able to drive around in France on it for 10 years. The French will only swap it for a French one within 6 months prior to expiry. Or if you
lose or damage it or it gets stolen.

Failing that, I’m afraid you’ll have to sit a French driving test.
Ah, I see! Well, the DVLA requires proof of address such has mortgage, utility bill, bank statement or rental agreement. I won't be able to supply any of those.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you absolutely sure there’s no one in the UK could add your name to a utility bill for a few months? It’s very easy to do.
Absolutely no one! Sorry. Not being difficult. No living parents and the outlaws are all French....
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 3:48 pm

.... This forum being a jiggery pokery-free zone, however, what is actually being suggested of course is that you go to the UK for a nice long break and establish yourself as resident before moving on to France. Just enough to get your licence back. ....
He was planning to move back to Britain, he just changed his mind!
.... Once you have a UK licence you’ll be able to drive around in France on it for 10 years. The French will only swap it for a French one within 6 months prior to expiry. Or if you lose or damage it or it gets stolen. ....
If you're driving on a British licence and it gets lost or stolen, how do the French know that you even had a British licence?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 23rd 2023 at 3:50 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 9:01 pm

.... The OP could try this, though, if he really doesn’t fancy sitting the French test.
Move to France and tell the French he’s lost his UK licence. The fact his old UK licence had expired presumably wouldn’t prevent DVLA from issuing a certificate of entitlement. ....
​​​​​​
Yeah, well that's the direction I was heading, but under the circumstances of TimFountain, I find it very hard to believe that that would work.

Personally, I would guess that the DVLA would only issue a certificate of entitlement (until today/ this thread, I had never heard of such a thing) if there was a licence issued within the past 10 years, i.e. the licence would still be valid if it hadn't been lost, stolen, or destroyed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 23rd 2023 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2023, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

The fact his old UK licence had expired presumably wouldn’t prevent DVLA from issuing a certificate of entitlement.
Gosh, all these workarounds are making my head hurt.
​​​​​​
Except the Certificate of Entitlement from DVLA would show that no licence is currently in force.
In the OP's situation there are no "workarounds" that do not involve one or more illegal actions.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn’t thought of that.
Tim, looks like you’ll have to resit the test. Looking on the bright side, it’ll be very good for your French.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 11:32 am

British driving licenses can be reissued to residents of the UK upon application, nothing more, until the licence holder reaches the age of 70, regardless of how many years ago their most recent licence expired. .....
Originally Posted by TimFountain
I don't understand. I am not resident in the UK, ....
Yes, I omitted key words, which I mistakening thought we had already established. .... As subsequently discussed, you would need to prove you had reestablished residence in the UK to take advantage of that provision.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

baroudeur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Ah, I see! Well, the DVLA requires proof of address such has mortgage, utility bill, bank statement or rental agreement. I won't be able to supply any of those.
AFAIK the DVLA only requires an address at which the holder can be contacted. If you know someone who can be trusted to forward mail to you their address should be satisfactory. After all, there are many UK licence holders living in France who do not have a permanent UK address.

Edit: If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired the DVLA may want to know why your licence has been expired for so long and.you may be made to retake your driving test if your licence has expired due to age or medical reasons.

Last edited by baroudeur; Apr 24th 2023 at 1:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.